Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New 1897 replica coming

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: New 1897 replica coming
Reply #60 on: May 30, 2022, 03:50:29 PM
I really don't have much to offer other than this is a really neat SAK celebrating their 125th anniversary. 
Esse Quam Videri

nl Offline nitram

Reply #61 on: May 30, 2022, 09:01:45 PM
Received this today from a local retailer. Price will be € 429, world wide release date June tenth.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 10:28:19 PM by nitram »

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: May 30, 2022, 09:16:53 PM
So probably £400, not as bad as earlier rumoured, but damn I do not have that kind of SAK money. :facepalm:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #63 on: May 30, 2022, 09:26:16 PM
So probably £400, not as bad as earlier rumoured, but damn I do not have that kind of SAK money. :facepalm:

You and me both mate, you and me both  ::) :ahhh

Maybe I can get a replica, replica  :rofl:
They don't like it up 'em!

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #64 on: May 30, 2022, 11:35:12 PM
Aha - Finally get to see what is printed on the SD: Thanks nitram
gesetzlich geschutz - which my translator says means protected by law ..... ie - I guess - patented!

Maybe you won't get your replica replica Surgey :(
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 03:52:53 AM by Huntsman »

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #65 on: May 30, 2022, 11:36:37 PM
I like the knife itself but not as an expensive shelf trophy that I would never use...

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #66 on: May 30, 2022, 11:39:05 PM
I like the knife itself but not as an expensive shelf trophy that I would never use...

I'd use it, but I can't see spending that kinda money for one.   :dunno:

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: May 31, 2022, 12:23:08 AM
Real shame they're not making a non-numbered edition of these like someone suggested for a more reasonable price. Absolutely beautiful knife (big fan of wood handles and exposed rivets) but there's no way I can justify spending 20x what'd I'd spend on a Spartan for a prettier version with less functionality.

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #68 on: May 31, 2022, 01:56:58 AM
TBH, I think they'd get more sales from offering cheaper non-limited replicas of all their iconic knives... the first Soldier and the first Offiziersmesser in particular.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #69 on: May 31, 2022, 08:10:39 AM
If you compare it to a Spartan it is expensive, however, if you compare it to many higher end knives regularly used by knife aficionados then it is not that bad.

Many of us use knives or multitools costing a few hundred Euros, regularly, and do not think too much about it.

Yes, if you keep it new it will probably go up in value, maybe double or triple in price in a few years, but it is not going to make you rich.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: May 31, 2022, 08:41:38 AM
€429 is too expensive for me sadly, especially as in the UK we’ll have to pay import duty and VAT so it’ll be more like  £500….. I don’t see me getting one, but it is an interesting looking edition, and I’m sure that those who an afford it will enjoy it.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #71 on: May 31, 2022, 09:11:13 AM
€429 is too expensive for me sadly, especially as in the UK we’ll have to pay import duty and VAT so it’ll be more like  £500….. I don’t see me getting one, but it is an interesting looking edition, and I’m sure that those who an afford it will enjoy it.

They have import duty/tax in the EU too, so the price should be similar.
If anything, the UK may even have lower import taxes these days.

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #72 on: May 31, 2022, 10:31:45 AM
If you compare it to a Spartan it is expensive, however, if you compare it to many higher end knives regularly used by knife aficionados then it is not that bad.
Compared to anything overpriced, it's not that bad... but then I'd never pay £3,000 for a William Henry or a Rockstead knife, either.

Also, unlike many higher end knives, this is not hand-forged by God himself from folded Jupiter moon dust and quenched in Hobbit blood, with scales of unicorn ivory and polishing with fairy tears.
This is an Officer's knife and, like most SAKs, was intended to be used, abused and likely replaced without it costing an arm and a leg. More like a set of hiking boots than an Aston Martin.

The original sold for about 6 Swiss Francs back in 1903 which, apparently, is very roughly £25 in today's relative 'buying power' value. Obviously that's pretty cheap compared to modern models, so I'd guess somewhere around the £100 mark for a non-LE would be a better price point. That puts it around the Cybertool M sort of value.

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #73 on: May 31, 2022, 10:34:04 AM
Ignore. Double post.... dammit.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #74 on: May 31, 2022, 10:40:05 AM
I was thinking more like Chris Reeves knives, "LE" spydercos etc, Benchmade Swisstools and LM at European prices and various other brands that are around 300-500 (insert currency :)  ).

They are not cheap or especially collectable but people buy them and use them reasonably.

00 Offline SAKTaschenmesser

Reply #75 on: May 31, 2022, 11:09:37 AM

I'd tend to agree.

The anniversary 1891 Soldier came out in 2009 and cost £299.00.

Let's assume the 1891 Soldier and 1897 Officer have comparable 'worth'.

£299.00 in 2009 is worth £427.35 today. Also, nearly bang on the € price albeit £ rather than € so we could be paying more than the general price in the EU.

On VAT, if bought from Victorinox's retail website:

"5. PRICES AND PAYMENTS

5.1    Price
The prices quoted at the time of the Order shall apply to orders in our Online Shop.  The prices quoted are retail prices in Pounds Sterling (GBP) and include the applicable value-added tax."
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 11:21:31 AM by SAKTaschenmesser »

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #76 on: May 31, 2022, 11:50:03 AM
I was thinking more like Chris Reeves knives, "LE" spydercos etc, Benchmade Swisstools and LM at European prices and various other brands that are around 300-500 (insert currency :)  ).

They are not cheap or especially collectable but people buy them and use them reasonably.

But they all use high end steels in this price range, not 440. I am not saying Vic steel is bad, but not on a SAK for 400 Euros. I wouldn't buy a Chris Reeve for 400, and certainly no SAK  :dunno:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #77 on: May 31, 2022, 12:09:15 PM
We have been paying similar amounts for the Damascus blade ones for  few years, as well as the heritage one, so I am sure they will sell. The steel in the Damascus model was better, adding some cost, but the heritage one had plain SS.

Are they more expensive than they could have been? Definitely, but there is no need to lower the price as they will sell them all very quickly. Most are already claimed anyway. Many of the interested people have already contacted the dealers and reserved them.

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #78 on: May 31, 2022, 01:24:50 PM
We have been paying similar amounts for the Damascus blade ones for  few years, as well as the heritage one, so I am sure they will sell.

In both cases those are limited edition 'special' versions, though, just like the Climber Lite Winter Magic or the Thunder Grey Pioneer...
We're more interested in having bog-standard versions that everyone can own.

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #79 on: May 31, 2022, 01:55:31 PM
We're more interested in having bog-standard versions that everyone can own.

+1 on that.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #80 on: May 31, 2022, 02:59:54 PM
 :iagree:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #81 on: May 31, 2022, 04:33:21 PM
Vic is really getting after the cash grab.  This is not something in my price range so I'm out.  For the collectors I'm sure its a must have.  At 10,000 pieces its not terribly  limited so price on secondary market may not be insane so buying with the hope of making a huge return doesn't seem like a great idea.  Maybe down the road? 

Neat but an everyman user would have been really cool.   
Esse Quam Videri

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #82 on: May 31, 2022, 05:06:03 PM
If they made it unlimited and a regular model then it would have been competing with other similar models from both of the main lines (Victorinox and, Wenger derivatives)

If they made it a bit more expensive then you would have still had people saying "I can get the xxxxxxxxx with better tools for half the price".  :)

I do think they are expensive, for no real practical/engineering reason maybe, but I do not consider the cost so high that they would be impossible to buy one, if you really, really wanted it. Even the minor "collectors" amongst us can probably raise that amount selling a small part of our stash.

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: May 31, 2022, 05:13:50 PM
I'm sure it will sell to collectors that make more, but I don't find the comparison to higher end knives valid. My knife collection includes Chris Reeve and knives well above that price point (currently topping out at $700, but greater than $1000 previously) with many at the price point this SAK will be asking.

The value isn't there.

Those knives use more premium materials in every regard, with greater consideration for tolerances and sometimes even better accessories than a flipping time capsule and little slip.

This is just Vic making a cash grab off the back of loyal collectors, and any claim that it was made to be used etc. is utter smurf at that price point and limited access.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #84 on: May 31, 2022, 05:31:28 PM
I'm sure it will sell to collectors that make more, but I don't find the comparison to higher end knives valid. My knife collection includes Chris Reeve and knives well above that price point (currently topping out at $700, but greater than $1000 previously) with many at the price point this SAK will be asking.

The value isn't there.

Those knives use more premium materials in every regard, with greater consideration for tolerances and sometimes even better accessories than a flipping time capsule and little slip.

This is just Vic making a cash grab off the back of loyal collectors, and any claim that it was made to be used etc. is utter smurf at that price point and limited access.

I wouldn't call it a lousy cash grab.  Victorinox is a business.  Among the products they produce are luxury goods.  Conspicuous consumption type stuff, as somebody alluded to above.  Everything is fine as long as I know who I am: not someone who can afford to buy a limited edition that costs 20 times the normal cost for such a thing.  Everybody is happy: 1000 well to do customers can enjoy this luxury good and the rest of us can get a very nice knife with exactly the same functions for $21.99.

* 013a.jpg (Filesize: 153.54 KB)

• No Life Club
Reply #85 on: May 31, 2022, 05:46:56 PM
I wouldn't call it a lousy cash grab.  Victorinox is a business.  Among the products they produce are luxury goods.  Conspicuous consumption type stuff, as somebody alluded to above.  Everything is fine as long as I know who I am: not someone who can afford to buy a limited edition that costs 20 times the normal cost for such a thing.  Everybody is happy: 1000 well to do customers can enjoy this luxury good and the rest of us can get a very nice knife with exactly the same functions for $21.99.

You inserted the word lousy into what I said.

Yes they are a business, and their normal line generates decent-good value for what they are, that doesn't mean that one can't call out price gouging when they do it. At least the other ultra expensive versions have something about them that has a higher cost attributed to them (like the marbled CF/Damascus blade).

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #86 on: May 31, 2022, 05:51:14 PM
You inserted the word lousy into what I said.

Yes they are a business, and their normal line generates decent-good value for what they are, that doesn't mean that one can't call out price gouging when they do it. At least the other ultra expensive versions have something about them that has a higher cost attributed to them (like the marbled CF/Damascus blade).
I understand and basically agree with you.  Hmnnn... didn't you put "lousy" in there and edit it out?  Or did I dream that?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #87 on: May 31, 2022, 05:54:35 PM
I have no problem with a cash grab.  I also have no problem with Victorinox doing what other companies do however changing colors on Alox is  :whistle:

I applaud collectors.  The video offered in this thread had the gentleman clearly say thank you to loyal customers and collectors.  They know full well as any good business should who to target.  This offering is laser focused at the collector.  This is ok and good for them and the collectors who will get this.  I applaud both sides. 

Speaking to the price.  My feeling is if you want this SAK, buy this SAK.  We never have to justify why we buy the things we buy to anyone, well maybe the wifey or husband?

We never have to justify how we'll enjoy this item.  Use of such an item is irrelevant unless thats how you personally enjoy such things.  If you buy this SAK and put it in a curio for enjoyment yay you. 

As to value?  Too personal for me to get into.  Do we talk materials? Function? Heritage? There is a lot wrapped up in this SAK for me to break down value. 

I'll say this tho, its not for me even at 100US.  I'm not their target anyways.  Would I not accept one if you want to buy one?  Offer me one and I'll let you know  :popcorn:  :D

Price.  I do think its pricy.  I can say that.  I'm sure some smart Vic person determined what to price it at and as such it'll sell well.  At 125 years and counting I'd say Vic has their smurf together. 

To my comment of a cash grab, I stand by that.  I hope I also made clear I am total good with that too.  I will also reassert a everyman version would be neat.         
Esse Quam Videri

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #88 on: May 31, 2022, 06:11:48 PM
"Thank you loyal customers collectors. Here is a remake of an old SAK for 400 bucks. You are welcome!"  ::) :P

Well, if people want to spend that much money on something like this, go for it. I won't. But then don't be surprised to get more of the same.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #89 on: May 31, 2022, 06:40:38 PM
I guess I'm in the minority here.  It is a collectible, designed to generate brand buzz, not endless revenue.  This whole notion of calling it a "cash grab" seems petty and unseemly to me.  Don't like it?  Can't afford it?  Don't buy one.  But attaching some immoral, scheming, exploitative motivation to Victorinox for producing it is just silly. 

My kid is dying for some fancy Chris Reeves super steel thingie.  It's 400 bucks, and I look at it and don't see the value.  He looks at the Böker sportmesser I carry every day and doesn't see the value at 300 bucks.  But we both appreciate and support each others' tastes and collecting interests. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%