Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Scissors as "bladeless"?

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Scissors as "bladeless"?
on: May 17, 2022, 06:34:29 PM
I'm going to be doing some traveling this summer, which means I won't be able to carry a traditional multitool. Most of the "travel safe" multitools (Victorinox Jetsetter, Style PS, etc.) include scissors. Are these eligible for the bladeless challenge, despite the fact that most scissors have 2 blades?

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Re: Scissors as "bladeless"?
Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 08:51:54 PM
Honestly, you'd need to check with the individual bodies that set the policies to which you'll be subject.
Most places would say it's fine, but I've found some that prohibit any cutty things on their lists, specifically mentioning scissors as well as SAKs. The last one I saw was Windsor Castle earlier this year.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 08:52:00 PM
Good question. I'd say yes. Blade is usually used to refer a single cutting tool. I don't remember scissors being refered to as "blades"...

:think: :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 10:36:55 PM
I'd check as Tasky says.  Went to a function recently and they said no scissors specifically.  I went tool-less not as much as a pry tool. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Scissors as "bladeless"?
Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 09:10:15 AM
Most places allow scissors as bladeless.  I know for flying TSA specifically lists scissors (separate or in a multitool) are specific listed as allowed as long as less than 4 inches from pivot.

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 21, 2022, 06:51:58 PM
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I know to check the specific rules for any place I travel. My question was for the bladeless challenge badge here on the forums.

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #6 on: May 21, 2022, 10:15:44 PM
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I know to check the specific rules for any place I travel. My question was for the bladeless challenge badge here on the forums.

Sorry, my bad!
I was actually thinking about this very thread earlier and reflecting on how I'd misinterpreted your question... and yes, you were perfectly clear. I just had a 'senior moment'!

Regarding challenges - I would say that, since certain other tools are specifically referred to as Large Blade, Pen Blade, etc, the scissors should not be considered blades for the purposes of a challenge, just as the blade on the can opener wouldn't.... but I don't make the rules, so I guess we'll have to wait for someone with authority to decide.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: May 23, 2022, 05:00:56 AM
 :facepalm: 

Yes you were perfectly clear.  I have senior moments more than I care to admit.

As for challenges.  Usually the host decides what is a blade.  Typically tho I've not seen scissors classified as a blade in those challenges. 

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD