Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best one piece tool?

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Best one piece tool?
on: June 01, 2022, 04:22:33 AM
Hi all. Hope everyone is well. My wife and I are headed in a cruise soon, and they don’t allow blades for the most part. I broke down and bought a Tread LT to accompany us, but I’m thinking a prybar style MT would possibly come in useful as well. Maybe one with a seat belt cutter type tool.

Any thoughts/experience? Thanks guys.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Re: Best one piece tool?
Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022, 04:49:14 AM
Just realized that we have an entire section of the forum dedicated to this. My apologies folks.  :facepalm: :angel:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 01, 2022, 04:49:53 AM
I’m partial to the discontinued Pocket Wrench II.  Griffin also makes a decent OPMT.

Not a OPMT, but the Leatherman Style PS is a great bladeless option.

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 01, 2022, 05:51:54 AM
I’ve traveled a lot for work and never had issues with the Gerber Shard. You can use it to cut open boxes as well. I’ve also cut strings with the V slot for the nail puller.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: June 01, 2022, 12:23:55 PM
Second on the Gerber Shard. 

I have a lot of one piece tools and the Shard is a hard one to beat.  The world owes a huge thanks to MTO members for making that one happen!   :D

The only thing it is missing is the cutter, but there are options there- you could smuggle an X Acto blade and get the Shard's bigger brother, the Artifact, or more simply just get a small set of folding scissors like the ones found in first aid and nail kits.  They aren't the best, but they should manage.

Or, get a Swiss Card with the scissors.  It would compliment a Shard very well!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #5 on: June 01, 2022, 01:23:30 PM
I'd say take the Artifact, without a blade. When you arrive, buy a blade for it. Discard before flying back.

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: June 01, 2022, 03:22:54 PM
The Shard is a great tool.  As said no cutter but that can be overcome with small scissors in your toiletries.  I'll also have to give a vote to the Pocket Wrench 2 if you have one.  If you can get Leatherman #4 this is also a really good one.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline algernonramone

Reply #7 on: June 01, 2022, 08:26:03 PM
I got voted down the last time I mentioned it, but I am still rather partial to the old PocketToolX/LM Piranha/Piranha 2. Strong, lots of functionality, a great package overall. I also really like the new Olight OPry, and I just got a new one from TealeDesigns on Etsy that seems really good.

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 01, 2022, 09:03:14 PM
I'll vote for the Olight Opry, it's a great tool and good value, if you're looking at a budget tool then the Shard works okay, but I'm not a fan of carrying it with the cant to the tip.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: June 01, 2022, 10:13:31 PM
I didn't know about the OLight Opry so I decided to look it up.

Then I saw the price- Holy smurfsnacks!

:o

Def

* Screenshot_20220601-171214_Chrome.jpg (Filesize: 88.76 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 01, 2022, 11:13:21 PM
I'm going to guess you think it's expensive?

For the type of tool (Titanium, pocket clip, detent driver with bits) it's actually very reasonably proceed compared to the competition.

The Griffin PT XL in Ti is more expensive and doesn't have a bolt on clip, bits, or inline driver  :dunno:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #11 on: June 02, 2022, 12:20:50 AM
Just wanted to throw out my .02 here and offer my opinion and say that I ALWAYS have a Gerber Shard on me.
It's served me quit well for as long as I've carried it.

Addicted to sharp pointy things.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: June 02, 2022, 12:31:23 AM
I'm going to guess you think it's expensive?

For the type of tool (Titanium, pocket clip, detent driver with bits) it's actually very reasonably proceed compared to the competition.

The Griffin PT XL in Ti is more expensive and doesn't have a bolt on clip, bits, or inline driver  :dunno:

It does seem a tad pricey, as Canadian retail pricing for the Gerber Dual Force is only a little more at $89.

I realize some Titanium tools go for a lot of money, but many of them are recognized brands and have some pedigree. 

Just my thoughts anyway.  As usual, value is an individual thing.

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: June 02, 2022, 12:32:31 AM
I got voted down the last time I mentioned it, but I am still rather partial to the old PocketToolX/LM Piranha/Piranha 2. Strong, lots of functionality, a great package overall. I also really like the new Olight OPry, and I just got a new one from TealeDesigns on Etsy that seems really good.

I carry a Piranha in the extra pocket of my cell phone case and it has helped out quite a few times over the years :salute: :like:

I will also add a vote for the Shard as I carried one in my pocket for years and keep it now in my work backpack as a backup tool :cheers:

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 02, 2022, 02:32:16 AM
Pocket Wrench II in Chrome Vandanium is mine.

I've been using the crap out of a Nite Ize Doohickey Plus, and I think it's the best on a budget. It's also cheap enough to own spares of. I misplaced mine just the other day (somewhere in an old Jeep I'm working on), and I'll be picking up another at Lowe's next week.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #15 on: June 02, 2022, 08:59:24 AM
I fortunately my favorite OPMT (TTPocketTools Chopper) is no longer made, but some that might fit the bill are:
- Schrade Pry Tool
- CRKT KERT
- Leatherman Piranha
- Gerber Shard

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: June 02, 2022, 06:03:05 PM
Can’t help but feel a little under-packed in the tool department, lol.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: June 02, 2022, 06:09:55 PM
Thats a lot of utility.  Nic mod on the Shard  :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Sos24

Reply #18 on: June 02, 2022, 06:29:51 PM
Thats a lot of utility.  Nic mod on the Shard  :tu:
Agree.  That three-some should be able to handle a lot of tasks.

Reply #19 on: June 03, 2022, 02:22:56 AM
Nothing wrong w/ that, I wear a stainless Tread LT almost everyday. I feel that they are very underrated.

Reply #20 on: June 03, 2022, 02:26:28 AM
I fortunately my favorite OPMT (TTPocketTools Chopper) is no longer made, but some that might fit the bill are:
- Schrade Pry Tool
- CRKT KERT
- Leatherman Piranha
- Gerber Shard

I also have (and love) the TTPocketTools Chopper. I am also partial to the GearInfusion Everrachet line, I just replaced the Everratchet I had clipped to my Swisschamp XLT with an Everratchet Clip so I could attach it to my belt loop when needed. The KERT is also really awesome. My Shard, while also quite good, just doesn't see much pocket time. Maybe I should change that?

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #21 on: June 03, 2022, 02:58:33 AM
I agree with the Shard but the Nite Ize KMRT DoohicKey with ratchet is good and inexpensive.

If you want something that might slide by a check, the ASR Tactical folding razor blade is non-magnetic and is very small but works well.

If you are really concerned with the rules you might want to check if any tools are allowed. One cruise line banned all tools but I don’t remember which one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline PeaceInOurTime

Reply #22 on: June 03, 2022, 04:34:39 AM

I've been considering getting a tool or utility knife from TealeDesigns. Which one did you get?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: June 03, 2022, 04:48:35 AM
Can’t help but feel a little under-packed in the tool department, lol.

If you aren't flying and just cruising then you might can get away with a bit more  :think: I always carry a MT and a folder on board but packed in my toiletry bag :salute: you are allowed a certain length blade on board (I take nothing when getting off the ship at the ports of call though :ahhh )

Of course it is best to read up what is acceptable at the port you are boarding the respective ship and the cruise line you are taking as well :salute:

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: June 04, 2022, 03:07:03 PM
I've taken a Doohickey on a cruise with no issues. In my wallet, I keep a Doohickey, Doohickey Plus, P51, Craftsman P51 4-Way Screwdriver and a mini pry bar. No issues with flying with these. Only trouble was going through security at the Smithsonian. Mrs. TJ saved the day by telling them I'm a technician by trade and always carry these.  :whistle:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #28 on: June 04, 2022, 06:40:03 PM
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: June 11, 2022, 11:17:50 PM
If you aren't flying and just cruising then you might can get away with a bit more  :think: I always carry a MT and a folder on board but packed in my toiletry bag :salute: you are allowed a certain length blade on board (I take nothing when getting off the ship at the ports of call though :ahhh )

Of course it is best to read up what is acceptable at the port you are boarding the respective ship and the cruise line you are taking as well :salute:

We are just back. Unfortunately, our cruise line had a no blade policy (including scissors :dunno:). Security at each port had nothing to say about my medical shears though fwiw. You used to be able to take a small folder with no issues on most major lines but many popular ones like royal caribbean have since amended their policies no not allow blades.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%