Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Loaded Pockets Challenge August 2022

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Re: Loaded Pockets Challenge August 2022
Reply #360 on: August 17, 2022, 07:13:15 AM
Day 15

Got out and about a little today.
The dog has some new wheels, so spent some time round the local park making adjustments and getting them to fit him well enough.
Managed to get a magnifier shot of this bug on one of the kiddie play things:

[ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]

Excellent shot!
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

• No Life Club
Reply #361 on: August 17, 2022, 07:16:03 AM
Day 15

(Image removed from quote.)
Swap out the mini cutter to a ZT707.  If someone would have told me this is a new ZT 10 years ago, I probably would think this is April fool joke.  Over the years, I think many enthusiasts probably have associated ZT brand with overbuild design(or at least they are aiming to be), so it is quite surprising to see this ultralight design coming from ZT.

Love some ZT knives, it's  shame they don't really seem to be making much new stuff anymore, it's like all of the R&D money goes to the Kershaw side of things  :dunno: The 0450 is fairly high on my list of 'if you could only keep one' but I still have many more ZTs to get under my belt!

The Chisel tool on the Spirit intrigues me, I like the look of the box cutting edge that isn't present on my Swiss Tool  :tu:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

• No Life Club
Reply #362 on: August 17, 2022, 07:21:26 AM

That's a good looking pouch!  I have been trying to update my own EDC carry in my backpack, and am searching for different lightweight pouch to try out.

Thanks! I don't use it much as the small black pouch I've probably posted here already is such a great grab and go kit. This is great for capacity, but has zero in terms of organisation. The other night I filled it up with different flashlights to just play with whilst cooling off in the night air  :tu:

The maker is Firefly 15, a small UK based maker with great customer service. I got the hanks and pouch from him at a great price because he was moving house and wanted to shift stock. I just need some 'ranger eye' style patches, I have no idea where people get them  :think: Here's the pouch:

https://www.firefly15.co.uk/product/otters-pocket-boiz

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #363 on: August 17, 2022, 08:27:27 AM
The Opinel mafia knocking at my wallets door again  :ahhh

Twig stoves look like a lot of fun, it must be an almost meditative way to make coffee  :tu:
It is.  It is part of my morning routine a few times a week.  Fresh air, building and watching the fire burn, then sipping coffee.  Popcorn is also a popular one over the twig stove for my family, but that is usually at night.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #364 on: August 17, 2022, 08:29:48 AM
Love some ZT knives, it's  shame they don't really seem to be making much new stuff anymore, it's like all of the R&D money goes to the Kershaw side of things  :dunno: The 0450 is fairly high on my list of 'if you could only keep one' but I still have many more ZTs to get under my belt!

The Chisel tool on the Spirit intrigues me, I like the look of the box cutting edge that isn't present on my Swiss Tool  :tu:
The ZT0450 is my favorite ZT and one of my favorite knives in general.  Mine just might have to make an appearance tomorrow.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #365 on: August 17, 2022, 08:32:34 AM
Day 15

Similar story, lots of gearing up for the release, so primarily a keyboard warrior! The 940 subbed in for the discontinued BM I no longer remember the number of.

Nice knife.  The 940 is a great knife.  I’ve been curious about the mini.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #366 on: August 17, 2022, 08:35:28 AM
Great work everyone! Sorry I've been a bit absence, heat wave and new book release has been kicking my butt!

Day 14

As the heat was getting to me I decided to greenify my carry to cheer myself up. Primary use was ice cream opening!

Ice cream is an awesome use. 

Which reminds me of a funny comment my wife made earlier this month when visiting some of my family.  She told me that she had concluded that loving ice cream was a genetic thing for me and couldn’t be helped.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #367 on: August 17, 2022, 08:36:36 AM
Believe me, I drank the Crown Royal. It's one of my favorite whiskeys.
I really should have a rigger's knife. The Myerchin seems like a good one. I'll put it on the must get eventually list.

Day 16

The eponymous SAK rotated in. I've awlso neglected to show the Olight's current lanyard (yes, I dislike polyester paracord that much).

Nice lanyard and good to see the Farmer X making an appearance.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #368 on: August 17, 2022, 01:48:49 PM
Powernoodle Day 17

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #369 on: August 17, 2022, 08:32:00 PM
Sorry to disappoint, it is just the Bradford 3 sheath that I’m trying out with the Essential.  Although, I will admit it was really tempting to just purchase the Bradford 3 for the sheath.

The Bradford 3 is right up there with the Battle Horse Woodsman and LT Wright GNS or Bushcrafter.
No worries, I do have a LT wright, the maker sounds like decent people I'd like to know(from what I have read) but I wasn't a big fan of the 'broom stick' handle design.  :dunno:

Day 16
Transitioning today from the Spyderco Dragonfly to the Myerchin titanium rigging knife as my dedicated folder.  I've been a big fan of the Myerchin titanium rigging knives for years. They are so light weight you can't even tell you're carrying them. This one weighs about the same as the Dragonfly but adds the utility of an extra tool, the marlin spike.
Wow, that's a bit shocking to know. :o  I have the British Army knife, and always under the impression that Myerchin would probably weigh about the same since the tool sets look similar.  But look is definitely deceiving here.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #370 on: August 17, 2022, 08:43:52 PM

I think Kershaw gets a lot of heat for making knives in Non-US locations and using 'lesser' material, but as a business, I think they probably are healthy, otherwise they wouldn't keep on continue the way they do.  As being a fellow knife enthusiast, I think it is easier to be too immersive into chasing all the 'latest and greatest', while forgetting most majority of the world probably only needs simple, inexpensive tools.  And I think that's one of the open secrets of Victorinox success, knowing and supplying their largest audience what they want.

I probably could go on and on about the chisel tool, but what I like most on that tool is the curved chisel ground 'blade' which makes great feather stick.  And combining with great wood saw, awl and knife, the whole package is built for wood crafting(or bushcrafting).

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #371 on: August 17, 2022, 08:45:24 PM
Day 19

Haven't got a chance to use my vintage cadet since I cleaned that up, it liberated my secret weapon to combat the crazy heat this summer.

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #372 on: August 18, 2022, 12:11:34 AM
Day 16

Working away, so limited use beyond the usual.
Night shift last night, and investigating a new site. One of the first things to do is establish where everything is, which means taking compass readings. As some may be aware from one of my other posts, I have a few nice and accurate compasses, but the one I carry most frequently is the function on my ABC watch:

CompWatch.jpg
* CompWatch.jpg (Filesize: 186.87 KB)

I would like to have gotten a proper night shot, as the entire face lights up in a nice sapphire blue colour, but it only lasts 3 seconds and my super-duper fancy Galaxy S21 camera takes longer than that to focus.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #373 on: August 18, 2022, 01:03:15 AM
I love those multi band, solar G-Shocks.   :salute: :salute: :salute: :tu:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #374 on: August 18, 2022, 02:58:55 AM
Oh I do like the look of that rigging knife, is the blade titanium for rust-proofing? Or just the body?
The blade and marlin spike are some kind of low grade stainless, maybe a 420 or similar that Myerchin refers to as German, Professional Grade Marine Stainless.  :whistle:  The body is titanium.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 03:07:35 AM by Alan K. »

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #375 on: August 18, 2022, 03:17:52 AM
Day 17
The Myerchin titanium rigging knife (which weighs 2.35 ounces  or 67 grams) was used quite a bit today to cut open rolls of printer paper.  :cheers:

* Loaded pockets '22 17.jpg (Filesize: 122.75 KB)

us Offline Sos24

Reply #376 on: August 18, 2022, 03:52:43 AM
Day 17
Didn’t change up much, but did decide to go with some stars & stripes plus change out the bandana.

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #377 on: August 18, 2022, 04:19:46 AM
I think I use that same set up on my neck knives.
The lanyard on my Olight consists of a pair of scaffold knots. I'll link to a good video if desired.

Nice lanyard and good to see the Farmer X making an appearance.
Thanks! :cheers:

Haven't got a chance to use my vintage cadet since I cleaned that up...
That is an incredibly sweet SAK! :drool:

Didn’t change up much, but did decide to go with some stars & stripes plus change out the bandana.
:like:

Day 17

Changed out the bandana, marble, and dedicated knife, as usual for odd-numbered days. I haven't carried a Buck 425 in over 20 years...maybe closer to 25.

Loaded Pockets Challenge Day 17.jpg
* Loaded Pockets Challenge Day 17.jpg (Filesize: 229.29 KB)
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #378 on: August 18, 2022, 03:09:22 PM
Powernoodle Day 18

Killing some cardboard with the Screwpop utility blade.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #379 on: August 18, 2022, 08:20:34 PM
Day 18

Used the scissors on Mountaineer to cut open a new micro sd card, and just realized I totally wrote the wrong day on my last post.

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #380 on: August 19, 2022, 05:05:18 AM
Killing some cardboard with the Screwpop utility blade.
I prefer a utility knife for that task...I just wish it occurred much less frequently than it does!

Used the scissors on Mountaineer to cut open a new micro sd card...
Those Victorinox scissors can handle that plastic, no problem, for many years! :tu:

Day 18

No changes to the loadout, nor any exciting use...just package opening.

* Loaded Pockets Challenge Day 18.jpg (Filesize: 122.53 KB)
USN 2000-2006

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #381 on: August 19, 2022, 07:14:06 AM
Day 18

I had an embarrassing situation arise following my consumption of a rather dry and crumbly sandwich for lunch that convinced me I needed something more practical than a challenge coin to fiddle with so I will be carrying a mustache comb as my fidget for the next few days.

* Loaded pockets 22 18.jpg (Filesize: 155.29 KB)

us Offline Sos24

Reply #382 on: August 19, 2022, 08:00:36 AM
Day 18
Changed out the Fixi and MT to BR Mountaineer II and LM Style PS.

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #383 on: August 19, 2022, 06:39:38 PM
Day 17

Missed a couple of days...
OK, this thing in the pic is a helper step. It's basically a step-stool from IKEA, but with a frame screwed to the top, so toddlers can stand up next to you (or Mummy) at the sink and learn all about washing up, or help prepare dinner at the kitchen counter. The frame stops them from falling.
In the middle, the sharp-eyed among you will notice a SwissChamp... The really sharp-eyed will notice the Phillips screwdriver, the woodsaw and the file. All three were used as I knocked this thing up in the workshop/garage. Not my best work, but functional and has already seen heavy use these past two days.

StepHelp.jpg
* StepHelp.jpg (Filesize: 117.5 KB)

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #384 on: August 19, 2022, 08:10:48 PM
Day 19

A fair bit of paperwork today, and mountaineer is perfect for removing all the staples.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #385 on: August 19, 2022, 08:15:18 PM
I prefer a utility knife for that task...I just wish it occurred much less frequently than it does!
Those Victorinox scissors can handle that plastic, no problem, for many years! :tu:

Day 18

No changes to the loadout, nor any exciting use...just package opening.

:cheers:

Day 18
Changed out the Fixi and MT to BR Mountaineer II and LM Style PS.
Do you carry the fixed blade via the belt loop?  I never can get use to having the handle above the waistline, and find a daggler quite handy for the setup, especially when I am sitting down.

Day 17

Missed a couple of days...
OK, this thing in the pic is a helper step. It's basically a step-stool from IKEA, but with a frame screwed to the top, so toddlers can stand up next to you (or Mummy) at the sink and learn all about washing up, or help prepare dinner at the kitchen counter. The frame stops them from falling.
In the middle, the sharp-eyed among you will notice a SwissChamp... The really sharp-eyed will notice the Phillips screwdriver, the woodsaw and the file. All three were used as I knocked this thing up in the workshop/garage. Not my best work, but functional and has already seen heavy use these past two days.

Very nice!  Surprised how much you could achieve with just a SC! :tu:

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #386 on: August 19, 2022, 09:53:13 PM
Very nice!  Surprised how much you could achieve with just a SC! :tu:

Yeah, I cut the horizontals on the hand-holes at the top, sawed through the wooden pole (no idea what that used to be), used the file to finely soften all the rough sanded edges, awled some pilot holes (yes, I know I didn't have the awl out. I forgot), and every screw was driven in by hand using that in-line Phillips. Might have used the blade and chisel a bit, too.

Anyway...

Day 18

I had to do a bit of reconstruction for this one:
This is the Joby GripTight ONE Micro Stand for smartphones:

20220819_182708.jpg
* 20220819_182708.jpg (Filesize: 142.41 KB)

It's a simple C-clamp that extends under spring pressure, to grip the sides of your phone. What makes it cool is that there's a folding tripod attached to the underside, so you can precisely position your smartphone for easy viewing. The tripod attaches using a standard ¼" camera threaded screw, so it will support small and small-ish SLRs, DSLRs, and other stuff with such a screw socket!

I usually have it set up in the evening so I can watch the ToddlerCam, but it also folds up small enough (see my Day 1 photo back on Page 4) to fit in a single stack .45ACP 1911 magazine pouch, which is why I EDC it. Comes in handy sometimes, if you need a screen displaying something and want your hands free. I used to watch episodes of stuff when I was in the workshop.
The reason it's been recreated here with my old phone is that I have the larger version to fit my larger Galaxy S21, but that's also what I use to take these photos in the first place!

Rear view:

20220819_182717.jpg
* 20220819_182717.jpg (Filesize: 128.82 KB)

Bonus content!!

I put a new polycord lanyard fob on my Classic SD, which meant cracking out that lighter to burn the ends down:

20220819_195734.jpg
* 20220819_195734.jpg (Filesize: 182.62 KB)

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #387 on: August 19, 2022, 11:20:45 PM
Day 19

OK, just a quick one for today.....

20220819_200828.jpg
* 20220819_200828.jpg (Filesize: 203.51 KB)

Looks like a right dog's dinner, dunnit?
That's cuz it is!

Beef & Heart raw meat, with mixed veg and biscuits. Everything a pair of pups need... and the SAK is simply to open the plastic bag cleanly.
I have to say, I was never a massive user of the scissors until I joined this forum, after which they seem to have become a daily use tool....

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #388 on: August 19, 2022, 11:32:50 PM
Powernoodle Day 19

Because I live on the wild side, I switched out my Fisher space pen for a Staedtler 430 F.  Mrs. Powernoodle is a pen junky and I often steal one from her latest 12-pack.  The 430 F has a fine ball and a pleasing old-school feel like a Bic from my childhood.

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #389 on: August 20, 2022, 04:24:42 AM
Nice photos and loadouts, y'awl! :tu:

Day 19

The usual changes to the loadout occurred today. I awlso changed the 58mm SAK and added a Gerber Mullet, just for the heck of it.

Loaded Pockets Challenge Day 19.jpg
* Loaded Pockets Challenge Day 19.jpg (Filesize: 193.14 KB)
USN 2000-2006

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%