Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic Ranger for Camping

us Offline Buzzbait

Vic Ranger for Camping
on: June 27, 2022, 08:08:21 PM
So yeah. New Swiss Army knife!!!!  I’ve had the Ranger on my mind for close to two months now. Someone mentioned it as a lighter weight SAK alternative to the SwissChamp, but I honestly wasn’t familiar with this model. So I looked it up in the SAKWiki, and wow. This really is an awesome set of tools for camping and hiking. For its size, this knife is stacked!!! So many back spring tools.

I really dig having the new style of metal file/saw on the Ranger. There are tons of possibilities for repairing camping gear, as well as minor woodworking chores that require a bit more finesse than the Ranger’s other large implements. I think that the file nicely compliments the other wood working tools, like the main blade, awl, chisel and wood saw.

I almost pulled the trigger on a Ranger, right after that quick study on SAKWiki. But I had some alox models I wanted to play with first, and I’m honestly not a cellidor fan. But I do love my 91mm SAKs after replacing the cellidor with either nylon or aftermarket scales.

So I held off, and considered the Ranger a bit longer. I also got to looking at some old pictures of homemade SAK scales I made back around……. Maybe 15 years ago? My first set of scales was a really nice set in red linen Micarta. Probably my best set of homemades. I eventually gave the resultant knife to an old friend, but always missed that beautiful red Micarta.

Now travel in time to two weeks ago, and I decide to order that Ranger. I went to DLT Trading, normally my first stop for Swiss Army Knives. I did that Add To Cart, and decided to snoop around a bit more before I checked out. Low and behold, after being out of RGT Micarta scales forever, they now had scales in stock, and they had red linen Micarta!!! It was as though this new Ranger project was meant to be.

Now one week later, the Micarta scales are nicely buffed to a smoother finish, the olive paracord fob is made, and is attached to my usual Photon microlight. This knife is ready for some serious outdoor fun.

I finish up the ‘Favorite Four Layer Challenge’ this week, switch my pocket carry over the Ranger on Friday, and head out camping for the long holiday weekend.

--
'Buzz

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Vic Ranger for Camping
Reply #1 on: June 27, 2022, 09:26:42 PM
Congrats on the new Ranger mate.  It really is a great camping SAK.  As you say; all the tools you might reasonably want and nothing else.  Great looking scales too.  :salute:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 10:48:52 PM
The new scales look great! I'll be keeping an eye out for a report on how well the Ranger does on your camping trips.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

ca Offline Altis

Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 10:57:06 PM
Very nice photos  :like:

The Ranger is an under-appreciated model for sure. It's a nice upgrade to the Huntsman without being unwieldly

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 10:57:42 PM
The Ranger is really an excellent choice and those micarta scales... great.
Hope this knife serves you well and becomes a real user in your hands.
If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 11:20:13 PM
Great choice!  I carried a Ranger all over the place in my backpack. 

And you probably cost me some money with those scale pics.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 27, 2022, 11:48:32 PM
This is great, Buzz!  I can't wait to hear of your long weekend camping adventures and how your Ranger performs.

Well done!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #7 on: June 28, 2022, 03:05:09 AM
 :iagree:. I've always thought of the Ranger as close to ideal for an all around pocket Tool as you can get.  I love that file!  It's like a Huntsman with all the backside tools of the Swisschamp. 
Barry

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #8 on: June 28, 2022, 04:52:08 PM
Thanks everybody. The weekend camping should be of ton of fun. I even received tracking confirmation this morning, that my new Firebox twig stove should arrive before I leave for the mountains. So lots of potential wood prep to be done with the Ranger.

To polish up the micarta scales, I used 800 grit wet/dry paper, keeping the paper good and wet with a spray bottle. Then I used a Dremel buffing wheel attachment, loaded with Bark Keeper's Friend, to polish thing up. Afterward, I rubbed some bee's wax onto the scales, and worked it in with a buffing wheel.

I've also been playing around with new Victorinox colored tweezers and toothpicks. The red tools match perfectly to the red micarta. But I'm just not sure if I'm progressive enough to steer away from the tied and true grey and bone colors.

--
'Buzz

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: June 29, 2022, 10:32:35 PM
Those look fantastic Buzz.  :salute:

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #10 on: June 29, 2022, 10:50:43 PM
The Ranger was my first proper, genuine SAK and it remains a personal favourite to this day.
There are other models I'll take to certain outdoor events, but each is a more focussed toolset for more narrow, speSmurfpillsed activities, whereas the Ranger will cover all of the outdoor basics and still serve you well back in silly-vized life too!

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #11 on: June 30, 2022, 02:19:16 AM
Each is a more focussed toolset for more narrow, speSmurfpillsed specialized activities...
The infamous smurfpills strike again! Yes, I just had to do that.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #12 on: July 05, 2022, 05:21:44 PM
I managed a couple days of hammock camping over the weekend, and the new Ranger was a big hit. The wood saw got used a ton, for creating toggles, cutting down wood for the fire pit, and fueling the new Firebox twig stove at meal time. The large blade saw plenty of use, as always. I wish I'd had more time, to delve into a few larger projects, and test out the chisel and file.

Overall, I really enjoyed using the 91mm platform. The Ranger is a 5 layer model, but it doesn't really feel like so many layers. Closer to the feel of an Explorer or Huntsman, since the file layer is so incredibly thin.

The new micarta scales presented a very nice grip, and it was nice to have the toothpick, tweezers, and eyeglass screwdriver back after the last couple months of almost exclusive alox carry. I'd been carrying a Swisscard to give me a nail file, toothpick and tweezers, which was just so much more bulk and weight to lug around in my fanny pack. It was refreshing to have the Ranger in my pocket, and know that all my bases were covered with just that one knife. One less thing to have to inventory in my mind.

So yeah, the Ranger is my new best friend. Definitely the hot item of the month. I think I'm going to try carry it daily for a few weeks, and see how it works for me. With all of the alox carry lately. I've kind of been missing my SwissChamp in a big way. With so many similarities between the Ranger and SwissChamp, The Ranger may just work for me as sort of a "Diet-SwissChamp", giving me access to most of the better SwissChamp features, but without the extra bulk..

--
'Buzz

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 05, 2022, 05:31:50 PM
Great pictures and good to see the Ranger served you well!

Is that some kind of water tank that mounts to your bike frame? Sweet set up!
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #14 on: July 05, 2022, 05:41:36 PM
Great pictures and good to see the Ranger served you well!

Is that some kind of water tank that mounts to your bike frame? Sweet set up!

Yes it is. It it's a CrankTank 4 from Adventure Hydration. A great Aussie piece of kit. It can be used like a Camlebak with a hydration hose, or with just a normal camp.

https://adventurehydration.com/product/water-storage-solutions-for-bikepackers-adventure-and-touring-cyclists/
--
'Buzz

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: July 05, 2022, 09:27:48 PM
Very pleased to hear it's working so well for you.  The Huntsman will always be my "datum" SAK, but there is no arguing that that extra layer gives you a good bit extra functionality for very little cost.   :salute:

gb Offline SteveMr170

Reply #16 on: July 07, 2022, 12:52:12 AM
That is a beautiful landscape and a very nice view from your camp!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%