Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swisstool in Himalaya - Hilaree Nelson (rip)

de Offline Shuya

Swisstool in Himalaya - Hilaree Nelson (rip)
on: September 28, 2022, 08:12:20 PM
Today came in the massage that Hilaree was found dead after 2 days.

Ive watched some of her videos,  that woman was intense.

And guess what, MT content on her Trip:

At 7:05min a Swisstool is sticking in the snow.

* Screenshot_20220928-200812_1.jpg (Filesize: 96.77 KB)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 08:20:20 PM by Shuya »

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Re: Swisstool in Himalaya - Hilaree Nelson (rip)
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2022, 08:13:04 AM
That it really tragic and sad - And very interesting, especially given her comments about managing risk and pushing herself in the vid

Video was great BTW - Thanks for posting - I had never heard of her before - But this is right up my street
And how on earth did you spot that ST - I had not clocked (!!) the time slot in your post (thought it was a second vid  :facepalm:) and was looking out for it even at that point (as that seemed most likely spot for it to appear) ..... and did not spot it.

I would say the ST is a phenominally heavy bit of kit for that type of expedition - where ever ounce counts - Probably equivalent to 8 dried meals!! However if you have ski mountaineeering and ice climbing gear you are more likely to need it 

no Offline aicolainen

Re: Swisstool in Himalaya - Hilaree Nelson (rip)
Reply #2 on: October 10, 2022, 05:00:22 PM
8< ——-
Video was great BTW - Thanks for posting - I had never heard of her before - But this is right up my street
I’ve never heard of her either, but mountain climbing, ski touring, rando and off piste skiing are all hobbies very close to my heart, so anytime I learn about another climber/skier falling victim to the mountains, it hits close to home.

8< ——-
I would say the ST is a phenominally heavy bit of kit for that type of expedition - where ever ounce counts - Probably equivalent to 8 dried meals!! However if you have ski mountaineeering and ice climbing gear you are more likely to need it

I think there’s a quite simple answer and rationale for this.
Back when I was a more devoted climber, I had no real interest in multitools. I had one multitool, the LM Wave, it had a good selection of tools and was lighter than a kit of dedicated tools. So that’s what came along.
I’m 100% sure she wouldn’t mind saving some weight by changing to a lighter, yet suitable MT, but the one she has does the job and there’s a gazillion other decisions and preparations she has to do, that ultimately is more important to the outcome of her adventures, and probably also falls more into her field of interest as well.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%