Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

leatherman style 3D print scalpel mod

Offline rfigueroa

• New User
leatherman style 3D print scalpel mod
on: October 01, 2022, 04:27:43 AM
After seeing the mods from Metro Grade Goods and ZapWizard, I was inspired to try and make my own. I used this project to teach myself Fusion360. This my first Leatherman mod and pretty much my first experience with CAD. Just like the ZapWizard and Metro Grade mine is produced through Shapeways. I'm no professional product designer or even an engineer but I think it turned out alright.

I originally was trying to make an xacto blade holder but that didn't really work out like I hoped. If I had started with the scalpel blade, it might not have taken me the 7 months that it did to get to this point. This project was way harder than I thought it'd be. Like I said, I'm not a pro or an engineer, and there are still (many) improvements to be made, but now I have an actually functional prototype made of metal.

It fits standard #10 and #11 scalpel blade. I prefer the #11 but I threw a #10 in there just to show how a bigger one fits.

I opted for a black finish when ordering it from Shapeways. You can see it got scratched off from all the filing I had to do to make the blade fit.

The reason why I started with an xacto blade holder instead of a scalpel blade was because I thought I could just make a nitecore ntk05 fit in there, so when the xacto blade holder didn't pan out I bought one and I was mocking it up to see how an ntk05 would work, I thought that instead of using that, it'd be easier to make my own scalpel holder (wrong) that would just drop in there, so I returned the ntk05. Maybe this approach would work just fine for your scalpel mod (the ntk05 could be had for substantially less that a 3D steel part on shapeways), but I still like this design more than the ntk05 because it has a thumb catch and an aesthetic more integrated with the rest of the tool.

There're still some improvements to be made. I want the thumb catch to be slightly bigger. The idea is, it's big enough to be functional but small enough and streamlined enough to not get caught on something and open up in your pocket. The thumb catch can afford to be quite a bit bigger and the scissors will close all the way like normal. I don't have a Style PS but I have no reason to think it wouldn't close just fine too. I might just change it to a thumb stud.

I added the holes to match the design of the tool but to also be able to push the blade up through the other side in case it gets stuck (now that I have a usable prototype, that seems really unlikely). I like the way they look. but I'm afraid that it will make the tool weaker. Also I think if I make some tweaks, I can squeeze in another tool behind it.
Idk, we'll see if it works out.

I've been looking for mods like this one but I can't seem to find all that much for the style lineup in terms of an interchangeable blade and I don't know if there's a reason for that. Maybe I just don't know where to look or I'm not looking hard enough. So if you can find anything about replacing the original blade or scissors for an interchangeable one, I would really like to see it.

I put a lot of effort into this and I hope yall think it's cool too, even if it's really flawed. This is my first forum post and I am planning on posting a few more mods too. I have a few in mind for the squirt.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: leatherman style 3D print scalpel mod
Reply #1 on: October 01, 2022, 05:18:18 AM
Excellent work :o very cool because you don't see many adapters for the smaller tools like that :salute: :like: :like:

us Offline trouthunter

• The missing village idiot.
Reply #2 on: October 01, 2022, 07:03:15 AM
Impressive first effort!

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #3 on: October 15, 2022, 01:19:30 AM
I like that you put the holes in it

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!