Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK main blade tip striking

us Offline Enginears

SAK main blade tip striking
on: October 17, 2022, 01:10:30 AM
I am having a bit of an issue with the tip of the main blade hitting the spacer/liner on some of my mods and I don’t really know why. When I check my newer huntsman it does not hit, but on a scientist-ish build I did it hits and it is not the first mod its happened. Any insights from the SAK gurus?

us Offline Enginears

Re: SAK main blade tip striking
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2022, 01:18:24 AM

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: October 18, 2022, 07:24:28 PM
I won't call myself a guru, but trying to be helpful here--is the pin in the pivots exactly the same diameter as the original pin?  :think:

If there is even the slightest play or mismatch, I am thinking the chassis/layers could be a little warped(or the blade has play around the pivot), causing the blade to hit the bottom of the chassis/spring.

us Offline Enginears

Reply #3 on: October 19, 2022, 06:59:48 AM
Hello, Thank you for the response. The pins are reused from the original knife on this one. I was also thinking it was play, first on the spacer side where the strike occurs and then on the blade tang side. I went a little tighter on the peening, nearly too far now but still okay. No improvement though. Quite mysterious.

I was getting so frustrated because the striking/catching was causing interference with the combo tool. I nearly tore the knife apart to investigate, but decided to reprofile the blade to be almost sheepsfoot. This raised the cutting edge up and solved everything. So mystery not solved, but remedied. I am leaning toward warped/ distorted liners/springs because both times this happened the knives were older and well used.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: October 19, 2022, 02:05:16 PM
Cutlers often krink the blade to solve problems like this.

us Offline Enginears

Reply #5 on: October 26, 2022, 02:38:17 PM
Cutlers often krink the blade to solve problems like this

Thank you for the link Steve, I am happy to see that others are beating their knives into better shape and not just me. I have done similar using a vise, but this technique seems quite a bit more controllable.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%