Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Screw size on Gerber Vise? And thoughs on the Dime, years after last having one.

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Hey folks! Long time no post. So I kinda got back into Gerber not too long ago and bought myself a cheapo package with a Paraframe Mini and a Gerber Vise. I tried to take it apart because I wanted to service it a little bit, but every-single-screw stripped out. I now have to extract these and replace them if possible. Anyone know the pitch of the thread, size and such?

And I also got myself a new Dime because I kinda missed it, despite breaking one earlier by simply opening and closing it. (the backsprings for the pliers started to grind themselves to dust against the plier joints, like what the heck?) Some things never change though, such as the QC on the Dime. If Gerber would just release a new updated version with premium materials, they would have a smash-hit on their hands. Mine came with the usual problems, misaligned parts, rough surfaces and also something that was new to me... Threaded pivots that were too long, leading to wobbly tools on both sides. I took out all screws which thankfully had NO loctite, filed down the threaded pivots about 1 mm, moved the tiny washers around a bit so they would sit between the tools and the aluminium scales and then re-assembled with a bit of blue loctite. Now the tools have zero wobble, better action and the screws won't come out. Let's see how long it'll last this time! A long time I hope, because I really do think out of all the mini-multis out there, that this one has the best design and tool implementation. It's just sadly let down by bad QC. And even if you get one with perfect QC, it's still only on par with a Classic SD in terms of strength when looking at the backsprings and whatnot. Gerber, please re-design this one!

I also got myself a Gerber Asada in D2 steel and green micarta scales. Gotta say, this one has impressed me! Perfect QC out of the box. All screws are fine, the blade centering is just about perfect, the lockup is precisely where I want it to be and the action is great. This one is a keeper.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 10:39:05 AM by WiseDuck »

us Offline King_Gorilla

I really wanted to buy a gerber dime for years now just to see if i liked it better than other keychain size MTs that I have.  But I keep hearing stories about QC like yours so I have not pulled the trigger. 

:dunno:

england Offline Rathbone

I've used one for something like 8 years. It has never let me down. Maybe I got a good one or maybe I haven't been as demanding on it. It's not perfect (Obviously it needs a better file) but it's perfect for my needs.

If Gerber would just release a new updated version with premium materials, they would have a smash-hit on their hands.

I'd love a pro-spec one. :drool: That may even rival a few SAKs

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
I really wanted to buy a gerber dime for years now just to see if i liked it better than other keychain size MTs that I have.  But I keep hearing stories about QC like yours so I have not pulled the trigger. 

:dunno:

Can't hurt to try when they're so cheap. But yeah quality is indeed all over the place. When I compare my Dime to my Dime Travel the Travel has cleaner cuts, the tools are finished a bit nicer and it operates smoother. On my new red one, it looks like the stamping tools used for some of the frame parts and some of the tools were dull, so you get these imperfections that then ride up against the various springs, resulting in uneven and gritty movement. Not a huge deal since they still move well enough and lock properly. But why can't such a thing be sorted out so it never happens? Raise the price of the tool by 10 bucks and improve the overall quality. It would be such a huge winner.

us Offline King_Gorilla

I think it is interesting to look at the evolution of the Dime.  There have probably only been few other examples where a multi tool evolved so clearly from one step to the next in such a short time.  I have the Gerber Clutch (which I love) and while I like the pliers, the blade, and the excellent nail file, it has 3 or 4 other tiny useless tools that are so poorly designed that they might as well not be on the tool.  The Best example being the bottle opener.  Then you see as they developed the spiritual successors to the clutch, like the Vise and the Splice, the tools looked like they were getting better. (I've never had a chance to handle them so I am not sure)  They dedicated two tiny spots to the fold out bottle opener on the Vise.  ( I have to assume it was slightly better at least because the one on the Clutch was useless)  But you can almost picture the Gerber board meetings with designers discussing the tool.  Someone was probably reading user reviews and showing pictures of the Clutch and Vise being scratched up and beat up for being used as a Bic lighter to open bottles because it was easier and more convenient than opening the tool to use the cap lifter properly.  At some point I have to assume that someone threw some papers in the air in exasperation and yelled:  "Then just build the bottle opener into the body of the flippin tool!!!" 

:rofl:

(Which I think was an inspired decision)

england Offline Rathbone

:iagree:

I too love the Clutch. But I love the Dime shape and size (and the tweezers and cap lifter!)

I'd happily lose both drivers/file from the Dime for one longer file with a flathead tip. When you get down to MTs this small you just have to accept there are some tasks it's just not up to, so at least make the ones it is good at functional.

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
I’m just going to say it….I really like the dime  ::)

I also must be lucky as the one I’ve had for years is still going strong, not that it’s seen any heavy duty use, but the package and bottle openers have been used loads and are both great, the bottle opener is the best on any small tool imo

I don’t know if QC has slipped over the years and I’ve not used the pliers for anything but lightweight jobs, but happy to carry mine as part of my rotation which includes most of the small LMs and SAKs. Think I’ll always have a fondness for the dime nonetheless

:cheers:

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Ah, the Dime. I bought one several years ago and as soon as I opened the blister pack I thought I had been stuck with a chinesium knockoff. It really looked cheap and nasty.
The only thing that made me think it was probably legit was that I had bought it from a big-box hardware.

A couple of weeks later I used the pliers to actually grip something and one of the backsprings folded in half... like they do.
I sent it back to the local agent and they replaced it with a new one.

All it gets used for these days is as a package opener. That tool and the scissors are actually pretty good (albeit very small). The best tool on the whole thing is the bottle opener but everything has a twist top on it these days.

It really is a tragic waste of potential.

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
I carried a Clutch for years before I gave it away to a friend who needed a small multitool for work. No big deal, I figured, I got it at Home Depot for $15, I'll just pick up another one. Nope, disco'd for the Dime, which I tried. I don't know that I could say why, but the Dime never clicked for me.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%