Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Box cutter blade sharpening.

Aloha · 27 · 1293

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Box cutter blade sharpening.
on: November 22, 2022, 04:15:17 PM
Back in the day, and I'm talking waaaaaaay back I used a simple box cutter when I worked in a warehouse.  I tossed the blades as needed.  Fast forward to just a few days ago, I was thinking about my Gerber EAB and why I have not used it.  I got it from the tomb but the blade was dull.  I went looking for a replacement and before I got too immersed in my search I decided to give it a sharpen. 

Am I the only one?  I get it, the blades are fairly cheap, but why toss?  Mine is screaming sharp again and I'll continue to resharpen as needed. 

* IMG_7020.jpg (Filesize: 61.02 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Box cutter blade sharpening.
Reply #1 on: November 22, 2022, 04:39:07 PM
I have stropped disposable blades before, but only when I didn't have replacements handy.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: November 22, 2022, 04:41:18 PM
I swear I'm not trying to be cheap  :D.  It was really fast on a diamond plate. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: November 22, 2022, 10:32:23 PM
I do sharpen them from time to time myself :cheers:

Sometimes just because ;) but other times it is because I am doing something at work and extra blades aren't close by or easily accessible  :tu: and I understand it isn't just about being cheap or not :D

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 22, 2022, 11:11:28 PM
Not something I’ve ever done, but I’ve also never regularly carried a knife of this type.  I can see resharpening the blade in a pinch when replacement blades aren’t handy. 

However, it seems to me that the main selling point of these box cutters/utility knives is the ability to just toss the old blade and swap in a fresh one.  But if one is going to make the commitment to sharpen the blade anyway, then are better knife options out there.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: November 23, 2022, 12:04:44 AM
This is one of those things... you know... like I just do as I always did, and kept doing even after the basic skills of sharpening had been learned  :dunno:

I'll definitely give that a try next time  :2tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: November 23, 2022, 04:09:59 PM
I get it they are meant to use and dispose.  I can see at work or in similar situations just tossing for a fresh one.  At home I'd argue there is no better choice for box dispatching.

What got me reaching for my EAB was a chat with FarmerX.  I tend to use the knife I have with me to cut down boxes for my recycle bin.  He mentioned he uses a box cutter. 

It was really a fast process to sharpen on a diamond plate.  I'm going to use my EAB for boxes at home.  I'll have a supply of blades but for now I'll tune up as needed and toss when needed. 

I should say, I enjoy sharpening so it does make a lot of sense for me to do this.  I also tuned up my exacto knife kit blades later that day  :whistle:.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: November 23, 2022, 05:13:08 PM
I will also note that it takes like 30 seconds or less to sharpen on a diamond sharpener and I always have a small credit card or smaller sized one with me :tu:

Also, the things I sometimes cut with a utility blade knife, I would never use a knife that didn't have an option to change the blade because I do cut things that leave tar (or similar) on it or I use one to score or cut metal flashing :ahhh those tasks would destroy a regular blade but utility blade knife blades can take the punishment  :salute: in some of those cases I toss the blade I get a new one :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: November 23, 2022, 05:26:20 PM
 :tu:  Those utility blades are meant to be use and toss.  It just seemed unnecessary in my situation.  I had already take the blade out to toss as I was looking for my replacement when the idea to sharpen struck. 

On a side note, the EAB is a nice little box cutter.  I have others at home but none id consider carrying outside the home.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 23, 2022, 06:14:25 PM
I sharpen everything, especially if it is fast and easy like that :salute:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: November 23, 2022, 06:19:10 PM
 :like:

:D
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 23, 2022, 08:23:16 PM
I've touched up a few disposable single edge razor blades if they weren't chewed up.  When you scrape with a single edge they can get pretty beat up.
- Steve

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #12 on: November 24, 2022, 06:06:16 AM
I've tried sharpening box cutter blades, with the usual bad results. They do have the benefit of being replaceable, so if I ruin one, no biggie.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #13 on: November 24, 2022, 04:47:22 PM
This is a good idea, with awl that recicle and save the planet's resources and whatnot. It's awlso a way of honing your sharpenning skills on a cheap blade.

:think: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: November 24, 2022, 09:05:48 PM
 :tu:.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: December 04, 2022, 07:53:08 PM
WOW this thing is sharp.  I'm a convert too.  I will not be using my pocket knives to break down boxes anymore. 

Gerber EAB it is. 

* IMG_7070.jpg (Filesize: 74.18 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

england Offline Kev D

Reply #16 on: December 05, 2022, 03:11:37 PM
I never have sharpened one, so just gave it a go on the one I was about to throw away at work. Gave it a clean to remove all the tape residue and gave it a few swipes through the ceramic on the victorinox sharpener, surprised at how sharp it got it fast.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: December 05, 2022, 04:24:34 PM
 :tu:  Easy just to toss the blade but since you've got to remove to do so a quick touchup is just as easy.  Most blades like that also have to be turned around to utility the other end which is a good time to touch up. 

I will continue this with my blades till it no longer makes sense to do so.  It I worked in a fast pace environment I'd replace as needed but I'd still keep the blades. 
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #18 on: December 07, 2022, 12:44:20 PM
I never have sharpened one, so just gave it a go on the one I was about to throw away at work. Gave it a clean to remove all the tape residue and gave it a few swipes through the ceramic on the victorinox sharpener, surprised at how sharp it got it fast.
(Image removed from quote.)

:tu:  Easy just to toss the blade but since you've got to remove to do so a quick touchup is just as easy.  Most blades like that also have to be turned around to utility the other end which is a good time to touch up. 

I will continue this with my blades till it no longer makes sense to do so.  It I worked in a fast pace environment I'd replace as needed but I'd still keep the blades. 

Well done, guys!

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

za Offline Humayd A R Mahomedy

Reply #19 on: December 09, 2022, 05:23:00 AM
Back in the day, and I'm talking waaaaaaay back I used a simple box cutter when I worked in a warehouse.  I tossed the blades as needed.  Fast forward to just a few days ago, I was thinking about my Gerber EAB and why I have not used it.  I got it from the tomb but the blade was dull.  I went looking for a replacement and before I got too immersed in my search I decided to give it a sharpen. 

Am I the only one?  I get it, the blades are fairly cheap, but why toss?  Mine is screaming sharp again and I'll continue to resharpen as needed.

i do this all the time,mostly with those snap-off blades,because why the hell not  :D
i first saw a well-known South African knifemaker do this [he buffed the edge,i do the same,with a felt wheel] when he wasn't very well-known.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: December 09, 2022, 04:38:11 PM
 :like:   :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #21 on: December 11, 2022, 04:54:58 AM
I took a utility knife blade to the Lansky Turnbox today. It showed improvement. The next box dispatch will be the real test.
USN 2000-2006

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: December 14, 2022, 06:17:16 AM
 :like:

Great way to also practice your sharpening.  The angle is already there tho holding it is not all that easy.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: December 14, 2022, 11:31:05 PM
When I very first starting working and needed a knife for work in the mid 90s, I bought one of these  :cheers: Not sure if it was the one with the paint worn off or one I had lost before that :think: either way, I loved these knives and you could buy replacement blade fairly cheap back then. Sadly I believe that they were discontinued sometime while I was using them and the replacement blade became harder to find :ahhh :oops: Luckily, they are pretty solid blades and instead of replacing them all the time when they became dull, I just sharpened them :woohoo: you can see that there were at least 2 blade shapes to choose from and both had pros and cons :cheers: They also locked and you released them by pulling the tabs at the bottom down :salute:

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #24 on: December 15, 2022, 01:10:10 AM
My sharpening job wasn't as good as I'd hoped it would be. It did okay on a few boxes, but lost the edge quickly. Maybe I need to start off on a coarse stone? :think:

As an aside, Stanley has some fixed blade utility knives. Those would probably be great for cold-weather box dispatch.
USN 2000-2006

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: December 18, 2022, 11:35:02 PM
I've used serrated blades in an EAB with good results. I use a box cutter with the smaller square blades at work and at home.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: January 12, 2024, 04:41:53 PM
Still going strong with the EAB.  I've sharpened the blade now several time as you might be able to tell. 

* IMG_9774.jpg (Filesize: 123.23 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69