Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Athens 2023

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Athens 2023
Reply #90 on: January 22, 2023, 04:28:40 PM
Really great prices.  The $11US or more is about what you'd pay here in SoCal.   
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #91 on: January 22, 2023, 07:04:07 PM
Loving the updates on the trip boss.  My wife and I did a trip to Crete many years ago and loved it.  You've got me thinking it's about time we went back to the seat of democracy.  :hatsoff:

It's never a bad idea as far as I am concerned.  After this trip I would highly recommend Greece to anyone.

Today we went to Parliament to watch the changing of the guard but there were so many people forcing their way in front of us and waving cameras around to get selfies that we got disgusted and left.  There is lots of video of that on YouTube.

We did some souvenir shopping today instead and tonight we are getting prepped for the long ride home.

We have to be at the airport 3-4 hours before the flight, it's almost an hour ride to the airport, then a four hour flight to Heathrow where we have to kill 11 hours and 43 minutes overnight (we arrive just after 9pm  :ahhh), then another 6 hours to Halifax.

For those doing the math, that's about 27 hours from leaving our place in Greece to landing in Halifax.  Add another hour or so to get to our house and it makes for a long, crappy day.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #92 on: January 22, 2023, 07:31:32 PM
safe travels... be sure to wave when you fly over near Normandy!
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #93 on: January 22, 2023, 11:07:31 PM
Safe travels!
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #94 on: January 23, 2023, 03:56:51 AM
Stay hydrated and fed best you can.  Safe travels.   
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #95 on: January 23, 2023, 04:55:07 AM
For those doing the math, that's about 27 hours from leaving our place in Greece to landing in Halifax.  Add another hour or so to get to our house and it makes for a long, crappy day.

Think positive about the journey.....
I know travelling is meant to be stressful and tiring - But it can be a nice time to sit back, relax, eat some food, drink few wines/beers, watch some nice films, chat, chill, sleep etc ?   ???
I always try and make traveling part of the holiday/experience, rather than something that is tagged on the beginning and end that has to be endured.

We've driven down from the UK to the Alps several times (20hrs plus) and always enjoyed it - Also if I do go back to Europe it's usually about 26-30 hrs - on flights and airports - Sometimes more!

Although nearly 12 hours overnight in Heathrow does sound a bit tedious - Presumably your luggage goes straight through?
It's worth considering a hotel - There are tons of airport hotels around Heathrow including some cheaper ones (eg Travel Lodge/Ibis) and most will have shuttles to and from the a/p.  If you are all checked in and no luggage to process - Just a small overnight bag would do it - Altough of course you would have to go through immigration.
I'll withdraw my suggestion to visit Windsor ;) 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #96 on: January 23, 2023, 06:38:14 AM
We considered a hotel in London but we don't know whether we will have to get our bag or not.  Coming to Athens we only brought carry on, but for the way home we will be checking a bag as we are bringing home some olive oil and a couple of bottles of wine.

We think we will have to get the luggage in London and that would really cut into our time.  If you figure an hour to get the bags and an hour to venture into London, get checked in etc then we only have a few hours in the hotel before we have to return to the airport to go through security and all of that nonsense.  Basically we lose maybe two hours getting to the hotel, which brings it down to ten hours, then an hour back to the airport to be there four hours in advance... that leaves us, at best, 5 hours in the hotel and that doesn't seem like it's worth the money for cabs and hotel costs.

We will be happy if our luggage is transferred but I doubt that will happen as we will also be flying on different airlines.  We are on Aegean Air for the London/Athens part of the trip and Air Canada on the London/Halifax part.

I am much happier to travel 20+ hours in a car than on an airline as at least I am doing something and not feeling like baggage.  I can also stop when I want.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #97 on: January 23, 2023, 08:43:43 AM
Contrary to my earlier comments, we may have decided to take a hotel in England.   :facepalm:

My Scottish genes don't like the spend, but it does make sense.  This will mean that I will be able to shower in three separate countries in a little over 24 hours!   :D

And, while packing we found two extra cans of beer that we had gotten with some take out and apparently forgotten to drink, so, for our last day of holidays we are each enjoying a breakfast beer!

Def

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #98 on: January 23, 2023, 09:06:04 AM
Good decision - If you are in Terminals 1-3 - taxi to one of the hotels on the Bath Road (eg IBIS, Holiday Inn) is 10-15mins
Terminal 4 and 5 is a bit longer to a hotel unless you go to the Hilton from T4 - which is walkable!! But that is very pricey!!
There is a Premier Inn there as well - Also walkable!! Budget but fine

Check your terminal to get the closest hotel

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #99 on: January 23, 2023, 09:09:22 AM
PS. yes if you change airlines - usually your luggage does not go straight through

PPS. Only carry-on on the way over ..... impressive .... or you pissed off all the other passengers with your massive carry ons :) 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #100 on: January 23, 2023, 09:09:39 AM
Yeah, Megan is making whatever arrangements need to be made.  We find it's best if one or the other of us does these things, as we tend to butt heads (a lot  :facepalm:) if we try to organize things together.

Don't tell her I said that.   :ahhh

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #101 on: January 23, 2023, 09:13:14 AM
PS. yes if you change airlines - usually your luggage does not go straight through

PPS. Only carry-on on the way over ..... impressive .... or you pissed off all the other passengers with your massive carry ons :) 

We are allowed one carry on and one personal item.  We brought our carry on bags (one each) plus we each had a backpack.  It was very efficient, even if the backpack I brought was purchased specifically to be at the maximum available size.   >:D

Last night we purchased a gym bag at a local vendor for a lot less than I anticipated, and that will be my carry on for the way home.  My previous carry on, a hard sided suitcase, will get checked.

Def

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #102 on: January 23, 2023, 01:16:33 PM
It's a pitty that's over. Come back soon.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #103 on: January 23, 2023, 02:59:32 PM
I simply cannot wait.  As I told the cabbie, we had to go home to make more money so we can come back.

If my lottery ticket comes through for me, I would absolutely buy a place in the same neighborhood.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #104 on: January 23, 2023, 03:01:56 PM
And again, thank you for taking the time to meet up with me- it was absolutely one of the high points of the trip for me, and I hope next time perhaps we can all get together for a bit longer!

I still have many questions that I forgot to ask you, so I will have to come back and get answers!   :D

Def

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #105 on: January 23, 2023, 03:31:35 PM
Heck of a layover.  Glad you'll get a room so you can freshen up, which is always nice.  Trying to wait out that many hour in the airport could've been interesting but even more tiring. 

Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #106 on: January 23, 2023, 09:51:43 PM
We have just landed in Heathrow and are waiting for a shuttle to take us to the hotel.  Fortunately our luggage is being forwarded on to Halifax for us, so no need to collect it.

Def

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #107 on: January 23, 2023, 10:46:42 PM
 :woohoo:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Sos24

Reply #108 on: January 24, 2023, 02:08:18 AM
Hope you have a great time and safe travels.

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #109 on: January 24, 2023, 02:28:56 AM
Glad to hear everything has been going well so far. Continued safe travels!
USN 2000-2006

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #110 on: January 24, 2023, 04:43:28 AM
Safe travels!
Barry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #111 on: January 24, 2023, 06:28:44 AM
The flight to London was a bit cramped and the plane was in Greek temperature which meant it was a bit hot for a couple of Canadians, but we made it safe and sound last night.  And, the trip must have had a favorable tail wind as we landed 45 minutes or so sooner than anticipated! 

We made it to the hotel, had a quick bite to eat and then went promptly to sleep- it didn't take long for either of us to drift off!

Now we are just getting ready to head back to the airport for the next leg of our trip- the longer flight back to Halifax.  It should be relatively easy as Megan's fancy credit card gives us a free upgrade to better seating, so we should be able to stretch out and relax a bit more.  I'll be honest- I could probably use a bit more sleep, so I may doze off again a bit!

Failing that, I have a fair bit of Jack Ryan and other stuff to watch downloaded to my tablet, plus the Air Canada flight will have a screen built into the seat ahead of us to watch TV and movies on.

Def

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #112 on: January 24, 2023, 12:12:48 PM
Wise choice for the hotel in London I think. 

I always find flying pretty boring and tend to try an sleep my way though it.  Passes the time much faster that way.  :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #113 on: January 24, 2023, 07:36:03 PM
Just walked into the house moments ago and we are both exhausted.

Def

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #114 on: January 24, 2023, 07:59:55 PM
Happy to hear.   :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #115 on: January 24, 2023, 09:21:32 PM
Just walked into the house moments ago and we are both exhausted.

Def

That's cool.
I'm sure it's literally cool as well! ⛄

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #116 on: January 24, 2023, 11:50:12 PM
Glad you hear you made it back safely, and hope you get some much-needed rest!
USN 2000-2006

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #117 on: January 25, 2023, 01:44:03 AM
That's cool.
I'm sure it's literally cool as well! ⛄

Fortunately most of the snow that fell a few days ago seems to have melted away!   :ahhh

Def

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #118 on: January 25, 2023, 06:41:06 AM
........ Don't tell her I said that.   :ahhh .....

I won't - I'll just send her a link to this post    :pok:     ;)   

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #119 on: January 25, 2023, 11:31:43 AM
It's funny- her father is quite surprised we didn't kill each other!   :D

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%