Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need Help With Vinyl Records,,

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Need Help With Vinyl Records,,
on: February 23, 2023, 01:11:37 AM
Well, the kid found this at a garage sale last summer for dirt, and well today he bought his first vinyl :clap: yet after searching an hour for the player to finally find it in the garage storage loft, after bing searched  twice, he then realizes after I asked him what he’s going to do for a speaker, that this wasn’t going anywhere, I ended up searching just about every box I could find and try to figure out how to plug it into his amp, yet I got it all the way to large to small headphones, and off by only one adapter, after another hour! I’m done! So if anyone knows anything on these things or any other item he needs to use I’m done and have no clue..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Need Help With Vinyl Records,,
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 01:22:58 AM
Hi JR
You really need a hi-fi amp which will have the right phono (aka RCA) inputs and a circuit built in to raise (or is it lower, been a while !) the impedance of the signal to make it suitable for playing through speakers.

I could be wrong but I don’t think it’s possible to plug it directly into a guitar amp.

With a hifi amp you could probably then plug it into the speaker but you’d need a stereo to mono cable, tbh I don’t think it’ll sound very good like that

It’s been a while since I’ve done it and I’m just out of a medical procedure as I write so could be wrong, but I did work as a studio engineer for a long time and still have a record player so do have some idea

Hope you sort it

:cheers:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2023, 03:01:48 AM
Ok, I get it, I might be old school but I only go back to cassettes, his bday is coming up and we’ll probably get him an all in one, so I’ll have to do some research, so any info on a good simple turntable with everything built into it would be greatly appreciated! His first vinyl is a cowboy beat bot, or something like that but I wouldn’t mind hearing something more my way like Jimi Hendrix, CCR, 5th dimension, the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Otis Redding, the doors, or the animals, I’d like to hear the diff..
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2023, 03:41:55 AM
I’m well out of the loop on these things I’m afraid, I’m still using Wharfdale speakers my dad bought in 1967 and I’ve had since about 1977. My Sansui turntable is of a similar era

Looking at that Onkyo turntable though, looks like it’s still good and probably better than what you’d get in one of those all in one systems, may need a new cartridge (needle) though.

If it were me I’d be looking for a cheapish hifi amp and speakers, there’s usually loads on eBay and in second hand shops here in Australia, and you could add a CD player or tuner later if needed. Think you’d end up with a better sounding system that way.

Another option is a USB turntable which would connect to modern equipment like a PC

Be interesting to hear what others think

:cheers:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: February 23, 2023, 04:22:27 AM
Well that’s why I posted, I have no clue and there’s got to be some out there that live off this stuff!
JR

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%