Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sewing needle storage

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Sewing needle storage
on: April 04, 2013, 09:01:07 PM
This isn't some ground-breaking idea, I don't think, but I came up with this way to store a Sewing needle in a Sac (with a corkscrew).

This is just an eraser from a mechanical pencil, with a spiral grove roughly cut into it. I then drove the needle through the eraser, and used another little piece to cover the needle tip. The needle is just a little too long to fit in the Wenger pictured here, but the idea seems reasonably secure. A shorter needle would obviously work better.

It MIGHT be possible to run a needle through a bit of eraser and put it into the pin hole on a 91mm Vic, but I'd be more concerned about losing it that way.

Nothing Earth shattering here, just a thought.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Re: Sewing needle storage
Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 09:07:23 PM
I keep a sewing needle under the fish scaler and wood saw. It  is magnetized  and that  helps to  stay in place when I deploy the blades. The tip came from the Swiss Army Owner's Manual of  Mr Young. I keep two  more on the pouch, under the belt compartment. All three needles are long, one fine, one wide and one curved.

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 09:11:28 PM
 :tu:
i used to carry a fairly large needle under the 'saw blade' on my old vic camper (looks like it would be ok on my 'champ'). never had a problem with it falling out in pocket. just need to remember it's there when deploying the saw, and find somewhere for it while using the saw.

* SNAP ! lol

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 11:35:41 PM
That looks good Lynn.  Good old corkscrew...
I discovered a peculiarity of the construction of my Vic Executive when after storing a sewing needle down the toothpick hole I would find a similar one on the carpet - next time I saw the needle fall out of the end of the knife between liner and divider!  Turns out this model's liner has a slot down the middle under the scale - the needle migrates from the toothpick hole into the space behind the back-spring and just slides out.  So I am still wondering how to grant a Tailor's abilities to an Executive.  Not to mention surging the odd splinter.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 11:38:36 PM by J Mackrel Jones »
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 11:52:28 PM
That works :tu:

You can also use the pin hole on plus scales to fit a smallish one :)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

si Offline Mitch-O

• Mitch-O
Reply #5 on: March 02, 2023, 07:16:23 PM
Topic Re-animation:
If anyone wonders if the camo scales has the "needle" hole below the corckscrew...   :think: yes of course  :tu:

* needle.jpg (Filesize: 67.09 KB)

ca Offline Tinner

Reply #6 on: March 10, 2023, 07:07:20 PM
:tu:
i used to carry a fairly large needle under the 'saw blade' on my old vic camper (looks like it would be ok on my 'champ'). never had a problem with it falling out in pocket. just need to remember it's there when deploying the saw, and find somewhere for it while using the saw.

* SNAP ! lol

I too keep a sewing needle under the saw. I carry a Fieldmaster daily. To retain the needle in the space between the liners I wrapped it with thread until it was snug enough but not impossible to remove. I use my toothpick to retrieve it. I can deploy my saw and use it vigorously with no fear of the needle disappearing.  :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: March 10, 2023, 07:10:33 PM
Very cool.  Having that extra tool is great.  If you work with wood or spend any time outdoors you're gonna get a splinter. 

Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Tinner

Reply #8 on: March 10, 2023, 07:23:46 PM
I’m sheetmetal worker by trade (hence Tinner). My splinters are metal and the straight pin in the scales or the sewing needle are deployed if scraping it with my blade doesn’t snag it.

Plus I like to spend lots of time outdoors. One area I ATV and also hunt is full of dogwood which has two inch long thorns as well as wild rose. Dug out many a thorn too. Lol

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: March 10, 2023, 07:34:18 PM
Yikes,  I worked in metal fabrication in receiving.  Jeez I recall those metal splinters,  :ahhh.   
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD