Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

6 month Cadet review

ca Offline Canuckdad

6 month Cadet review
on: April 05, 2023, 03:33:15 AM
Three months ago I did a review of my Cadet after using it for 3 months. Here we are 3 months later and I am still carrying this sleek little guy to the office with me almost every day. I switch it up on the weekends but Monday to Friday the Cadet is hanging with me, and I still love it.

This SAK is perfect for the office. Its small, and sleek. I find I use the nail file more than any other tool. This nail file is the newer version and its the best one I have ever used. The SAK is so slim and light weight that I barley notice it in my pocket. I think I will be taking my Cadet with me to the office for many years to come.

I give the Cadet 5/5 for office EDC

* cad.jpg (Filesize: 75.95 KB)

* cad2.jpg (Filesize: 60.12 KB)
Carry a Victorinox SAK folks,  because you dont know what life is about to throw at you.

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: 6 month Cadet review
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2023, 03:48:07 AM
I have a CADET new a package, as I have so many other options.

But plan to change that with the June tween challenge for 84cm SAK knives.

Your experience would be an asset.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,90682.0.html    If not already signed up.
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #2 on: April 05, 2023, 03:55:23 AM
I have a CADET new a package, as I have so many other options.

But plan to change that with the June tween challenge for 84cm SAK knives.

Your experience would be an asset.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,90682.0.html    If not already signed up.

Thanks my friend. I will take a look
Carry a Victorinox SAK folks,  because you dont know what life is about to throw at you.

us Offline ThisAlarm7

Reply #3 on: April 05, 2023, 03:48:45 PM
Very nice. Also, I EDC that exact Bic multi color pen nice little throwback to my school days.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #4 on: April 05, 2023, 04:06:17 PM
Nice cadet!

I've had a few through the years, but my only one currently is a 2018 berry red one.  Its also my first experience with the new file.  I seem to be the odd one out, but I much prefer the sandpaper style file over this new one.  For a nail file it seems far too aggressive, like its trying to tear my fingernails off. Like a rasp vs a nail file.

I'm unlikely to EDC it, as I prefer my pioneer/alox classic combo (both also the 2018 berry red), so the aggressive file isn't much of an issue.

Edit to add:  I actually find the new nail file style more aggressive than the file on my recently acquired troubleshooter, which is intended to ba an actual file, not just for nails.  Almost makes me wonder if my cadet is a fluke with an unusually aggressive cut.  :think:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 04:40:19 PM by gustophersmob »
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #5 on: April 05, 2023, 07:17:56 PM
Three months ago I did a review of my Cadet after using it for 3 months. Here we are 3 months later and I am still carrying this sleek little guy to the office with me almost every day. I switch it up on the weekends but Monday to Friday the Cadet is hanging with me, and I still love it.

This SAK is perfect for the office. Its small, and sleek. I find I use the nail file more than any other tool. This nail file is the newer version and its the best one I have ever used. The SAK is so slim and light weight that I barley notice it in my pocket. I think I will be taking my Cadet with me to the office for many years to come.

I give the Cadet 5/5 for office EDC

Six months? Still looks new.

How do you carry it?

All my Alox look like this in no time. Which I very much enjoy of course. Patina is great.

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #6 on: April 05, 2023, 07:52:47 PM
Very nice. Also, I EDC that exact Bic multi color pen nice little throwback to my school days.

BEST pen on the planet

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #7 on: April 05, 2023, 07:54:29 PM
Nice cadet!

I've had a few through the years, but my only one currently is a 2018 berry red one.  Its also my first experience with the new file.  I seem to be the odd one out, but I much prefer the sandpaper style file over this new one.  For a nail file it seems far too aggressive, like its trying to tear my fingernails off. Like a rasp vs a nail file.

I'm unlikely to EDC it, as I prefer my pioneer/alox classic combo (both also the 2018 berry red), so the aggressive file isn't much of an issue.

Edit to add:  I actually find the new nail file style more aggressive than the file on my recently acquired troubleshooter, which is intended to ba an actual file, not just for nails.  Almost makes me wonder if my cadet is a fluke with an unusually aggressive cut.  :think:

The Pioneer is a great SAK. I carried mine every day for almost 20 years.  And nothing wrong with preferring the old file my friend . I also carry a classic SD on my key ring  no matter what SAK is in my pocket

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #8 on: April 05, 2023, 07:55:55 PM
Six months? Still looks new.

How do you carry it?

All my Alox look like this in no time. Which I very much enjoy of course. Patina is great.

(Image removed from quote.)

I mostly wear jeans and I keep my SAK in that little change pocket that is inside the right front pocket on most mens jeans . so it never get scratched . Its safe in that little tiny pocket all by itself

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: April 05, 2023, 08:20:44 PM
 :tu: The Cadet is tops.  There is a lot one can do with that SAK and great thing is, all the colors if you desire color. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #10 on: April 05, 2023, 09:10:53 PM
:tu: The Cadet is tops.  There is a lot one can do with that SAK and great thing is, all the colors if you desire color.

:like: :iagree:

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #11 on: April 05, 2023, 11:10:28 PM
I seem to be the odd one out, but I much prefer the sandpaper style file over this new one.  For a nail file it seems far too aggressive, like its trying to tear my fingernails off. Like a rasp vs a nail file.
You're certainly not the odd one out... we may be the odd two, but you're still not alone!!  :cheers:
Both my Executive and my new Sportsman are pretty aggressive and will hog off material quite rapidly... which is great to a point, but you need to end with a smooth finish, whereas the new files just leave fuzzy edges on my nails.

The solution is, of course, to carry something with the older textured file too and there are several options... and thankfully most of them tend to be small and slim!!

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #12 on: April 07, 2023, 01:55:50 AM
I think I will be taking my Cadet with me to the office for many years to come.
Great write-up! :tu: The Cadet would be a great choice for the office (I think; I'm not an office job kinda guy).

All my Alox look like this in no time.
What a fantastic Old Cross Pioneer! :drool:

I carry my SAKs in a dedicated pocket. That is, the SAK is the only thing in that pocket. Depending on which pocket it's in, it may awlso be in a pouch that I carry as if it was a slip.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 07, 2023, 02:04:28 AM
I carry all sorts of knives and MTs, but keep coming back to the cadet. Simple, tough and easy to carry. With some ingenuity can use the tools beyond its design👍

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #14 on: April 07, 2023, 02:16:58 AM
The cadet is an awesome little tool!

* IMG_1722.jpg (Filesize: 118.42 KB)

* IMG_1723.jpg (Filesize: 106.48 KB)
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #15 on: April 07, 2023, 02:42:59 AM
The cadet is an awesome little tool!

:like:

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #16 on: April 07, 2023, 02:43:18 AM

I carry all sorts of knives and MTs, but keep coming back to the cadet. Simple, tough and easy to carry. With some ingenuity can use the tools beyond its design👍

:iagree:

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #17 on: April 07, 2023, 05:33:58 AM
Sometimes I wish the fifth pocket of my jeans was smaller so I could carry normal size SAKs in it and they would stay vertical.

Works out nice this month though.

Hanging out.

All the way in the pocket.

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #18 on: April 10, 2023, 07:36:43 PM

Sometimes I wish the fifth pocket of my jeans was smaller so I could carry normal size SAKs in it and they would stay vertical.

Works out nice this month though.

Hanging out.

All the way in the pocket.

ca Offline Jazz

Reply #19 on: April 11, 2023, 09:27:02 AM
You're certainly not the odd one out... we may be the odd two, but you're still not alone!!  :cheers:
Both my Executive and my new Sportsman are pretty aggressive and will hog off material quite rapidly... which is great to a point, but you need to end with a smooth finish, whereas the new files just leave fuzzy edges on my nails.

The solution is, of course, to carry something with the older textured file too and there are several options... and thankfully most of them tend to be small and slim!!

The new file is not very nice. I think the file should be to smooth off just clipped nails, not remove material fast and crazy like. With this one, I have to end with backwards filing lightly to rid the fuzzy edges, and it doesn't like to go against the grain like the other style will.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #20 on: April 12, 2023, 08:58:49 AM

The cadet is a solid carry, especially with a classic on the keychain.  It's great for when you want to carry a multitool without feeling like you're carrying a multitool.
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #21 on: April 12, 2023, 07:48:22 PM

The cadet is a solid carry, especially with a classic on the keychain.  It's great for when you want to carry a multitool without feeling like you're carrying a multitool.

Absolutely !

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $0.00
PayPal Fees: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Below Goal: $300.00
Site Currency: USD
 0%