Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Versailles To Serengeti…100/108mm challenge!

Enginears · 451 · 12160

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Re: Versailles To Serengeti…100/108mm challenge!
Reply #60 on: February 01, 2024, 02:24:42 AM
Day 0

Seems like the ideal time to show off this knife that I can't carry for the challenge. This is a modern repro of the 108mm GAK by "Mil-Tec", which appears to be a German company, though made in China. Quality definitely isn't up to Vic's standards (some blade play for example) but not to an extent that it feels unusable or unsafe. I'd rate them towards the lower end of Rough Ryder, Marbles, etc. It needed some sharpening, but the price was right (usually $10-15), so it's not a bad way to get a user for a lot less than the Vics.

It does have the striker/file on the back of the saw-driver-opener, which is somewhat rare on the Vics, which is nice.

* miltec1.jpg (Filesize: 106.89 KB)

* miltec2.jpg (Filesize: 133.42 KB)

us Offline Enginears

Reply #61 on: February 01, 2024, 04:05:57 AM
Day 1

Although I’ll mostly be using 108mm for the challenge, thought you might enjoy seeing some 100mm mod 08 soldiers, I enjoy showing them either way :pok: :rofl:

I’m sure you’ll see more of them throughout the month :cheers:

(Image removed from quote.)

Amazing pic and knives. It got me thinking… were these the direct predecessors to the alox soldier/pioneer and the spartan? I am a bit hazy on the history that far back.

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Versailles To Serengeti…100/108mm challenge!
Reply #62 on: February 01, 2024, 06:25:41 AM
Amazing pic and knives. It got me thinking… were these the direct predecessors to the alox soldier/pioneer and the spartan? I am a bit hazy on the history that far back.

Thanks Enginears  :tu: :tu: :cheers:

The original SAK, the mod 1890 Soldier was 100mm and remained very similar through the mod 1901 and mod 1908 variants right up until 1951, when the mod 51 was released (unsurprisingly!)
This still kept virtually the same form factor but reduced in length to 93mm

Then in 1962 the mod 1961 was released (confusingly and frustratingly for those looking for a Mod61 BYSAK from 1961) which is essentially a pioneer but with a WFK stamp

The best resource I know for all soldiers is:
https://www.couteaux-du-soldat-suisse.ch/J01/index.php/en/les-couteaux-du-soldat

And for the mod 61 you definitely cant go past MTo's very own Myron's blog  :salute:
https://www.roverhaven.com/the-rover-haven-blog/2018/12/16/collecting-the-model-1961-swiss-army-knife-part-2-fun-and-affordable-collectibility-meets-swiss-made

I've been trying to collect each major variation for a few years now, and am pretty close...anyone with a mod 1890 to sell, please let me know  :D

The Spartan descends from the Officers knife from 1897, and although similar to the original soldiers knives is smaller and added the now ubiquitous corkscrew but wasn’t for the military. SAKWIKI has good information on it

:cheers:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 06:38:02 AM by Echotech »

au Offline Echotech

Reply #63 on: February 01, 2024, 06:27:10 AM
Day 2

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: February 01, 2024, 06:48:31 AM
Day 1

This Safari will be my knife for this challenge.

Though I’d been carrying a Spartan much earlier, I didn’t really get into SAKs in a serious way until after the 108 mm line was discontinued.  Fortunately, I did manage to grab a couple lightly used before the prices on the secondary market went too crazy.

I really haven’t carried a 108 mm until now, so looking forward to this.

I was pleasantly surprised by how well the Safari carries in pocket for its size.  I think this is due to the overall shape and relatively slim two-layer design.

The knife blade got all the action today, trimming several cigars and opening a couple of packages.

* IMG_2072.jpg (Filesize: 324.36 KB)

au Offline Echotech

Reply #65 on: February 01, 2024, 07:01:21 AM
That’s a beauty nate :dd: :like:

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: February 01, 2024, 12:27:57 PM
   For the sake of uniformity, I will call this my post for day one.  After all these decades of carrying the 108mm, I find it to be light as a feather in my pocket.  Sometimes I think it would float if you dropped it into water.  To test that hypothesis, I located a water source and tried it out.  Eureka. 
 ;) DAY 1

gak1.jpg
* gak1.jpg (Filesize: 173.79 KB)

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #68 on: February 01, 2024, 03:11:05 PM
   For the sake of uniformity, I will call this my post for day one.  After all these decades of carrying the 108mm, I find it to be light as a feather in my pocket.  Sometimes I think it would float if you dropped it into water.  To test that hypothesis, I located a water source and tried it out.  Eureka. 
 ;) DAY 1
  [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]

It’s a miracle  :woohoo:
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #69 on: February 01, 2024, 05:37:38 PM
Day 2

I have a project I plan to undertake.  And,  begin to wonder can my 100mm handle the task?
It is a clip point, not many SAK models are fitted with the CP blade, but ironically I  do have three others😁 I used in the ‘tween challenge in 2023!

IMG_5507.jpg
* IMG_5507.jpg (Filesize: 124.19 KB)

Along side my work edc before retirement. A Buck 112.

My project, reshaping the handle of a Opinel N09. To better fit, or try to improve the fit, to my  XXL hands.

The object, pencil marked with areas to be targeted.

IMG_5509.jpg
* IMG_5509.jpg (Filesize: 122.67 KB)

I know the handle provides enough grip area, just not convinced the blade is stout enough. Time will tell.

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline Enginears

Reply #70 on: February 01, 2024, 05:40:48 PM
Day 1

Today I am carrying my Pruner 3. I started by cutting some cord to attach my clip.

IMG_5980-compressed.jpg
* IMG_5980-compressed.jpg (Filesize: 112.66 KB)

The pruner blade is great for grabbing as it cuts, makes easy things like this a breeze. 
IMG_5981-compressed.jpg
* IMG_5981-compressed.jpg (Filesize: 143.62 KB)

I was excited to get my tube stock for playing around with the hollow pin Alox mods. 
IMG_5982-compressed.jpg
* IMG_5982-compressed.jpg (Filesize: 388.53 KB)

us Offline Enginears

Reply #71 on: February 01, 2024, 05:44:05 PM
Day 2

I have a project I plan to undertake.  And,  begin to wonder can my 100mm handle the task?
It is a clip point, not many SAK models are fitted with the CP blade, but ironically I  do have three others😁 I used in the ‘tween challenge in 2023!

Along side my work edc before retirement. A Buck 112.

My project, reshaping the handle of a Opinel N09. To better fit, or try to improve the fit, to my  XXL hands.

The object, pencil marked with areas to be targeted.

I know the handle provides enough grip area, just not convinced the blade is stout enough. Time will tell.

Nice clip points there. Carving up the Opinel sounds like a good test. Keep us posted on its performance.

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #72 on: February 01, 2024, 05:45:29 PM
Did your PRUNER have the lanyard tube or did you add?

Hope yours is as good!

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #73 on: February 01, 2024, 05:54:37 PM
Day 1

[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline Enginears

Reply #74 on: February 01, 2024, 06:03:16 PM
Did your PRUNER have the lanyard tube or did you add?

The lanyard hole is through the liner and scale, added by me. I think a hollow pin would be great for these 100mm model since barely any have the split ring.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: February 01, 2024, 10:18:44 PM
It’s a Vic.  I predict it will handle a little whittling with no problems.

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: February 02, 2024, 12:46:35 AM
Day 1

This'll be my carry for most of the month. It had obviously seen a fair bit of use before I got it (probably bravely holding the line against the East Germans), which makes me less nervous about using it.

* Vic1.jpg (Filesize: 141.53 KB)

cz Offline z1913

Reply #77 on: February 02, 2024, 01:07:16 AM
Day 1

I haven’t heard about Hendrix variant. I saw Brookstone and NATO but never this one. Would you have any more information? Thanks!

us Offline cody6268

Reply #78 on: February 02, 2024, 03:28:15 AM
Day 1:   I had barely gotten up this morning, and used it to slice a boiled egg, since I was too lazy to get up and get a knife out of the drawer.

Run-of-the-mill early-ish GAK (no nail file/striker on saw). The first military SAK I owned--I've probably had this sucker ten years or more. Originally, there was a long cumbersome chunk of paracord from the previous owner, and it CONSTANTLY got in the way. I took it off a few months later. Eventually, a length of leather was added--a zipper pull off an old gun case originally belonging to my great-Granddad (I had planned to use it for an air rifle, but the zipper was broken).

I also used the hook in the can opener to help get a pull-tab off a little easier.

au Offline Echotech

Reply #79 on: February 02, 2024, 03:34:05 AM
Day 3

Reply #80 on: February 02, 2024, 10:45:57 AM
I haven’t heard about Hendrix variant. I saw Brookstone and NATO but never this one. Would you have any more information? Thanks!

It's a Trooper model, but (other than the guitar player) I don't know who or what Hendrix is  :dunno:

^-- where the cat sits

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #81 on: February 02, 2024, 12:03:01 PM
   Outdoor GAK photo for today.  You might be able to see how the scales are split.  They have been patched and glued numerous times.  Last time I think I used contact cement.  Pried up on one loose end and applied glue with a toothpick.  Let it dry.  Clamp it.  Might be loose again.  I will check. 
   Any groundhog with a speck of sense is still in his nice warm burrow.  Will one get up on this side of the hill, yawn, scratch his belly, and look out with squinty eyes and see if his shadow is still there?  If they do, they don't tell anybody about it.  Whoever thought a marmot could tell about weather anyway?  Best wishes.  G
 ;) DAY 2

gak4.jpg
* gak4.jpg (Filesize: 227.18 KB)

cz Offline z1913

Reply #82 on: February 02, 2024, 01:55:56 PM
It's a Trooper model, but (other than the guitar player) I don't know who or what Hendrix is  :dunno:

Thanks for the update - interesting model!

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #83 on: February 02, 2024, 02:27:19 PM
Day 3

To my delight, more of a surprise, the Day Packer’s clip point blade is very  functional whittling.

Part 1 of my project was to round off the top back of  a beech handle Opinel N09.

IMG_5511.jpg
* IMG_5511.jpg (Filesize: 173.57 KB)

IMG_5510.jpg
* IMG_5510.jpg (Filesize: 179.1 KB)

Beech is a harder wood than I expected, and it was a workout for my  arthritic fingers.  But, the extra length of the handle  was  appropriate 😉

Hope yours is as good!

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #84 on: February 02, 2024, 02:59:05 PM
Nice work, Gordon.  Did you check for any groundhogs on the property?  The old timers used to cook them around here.  I think the coyotes have sorted out most of them.  They might have killed most of the foxes too.  The coyotes did the killing, not the groundhogs.  Haven't seen a fox in more than a year.  I usually get some on the night cameras.  Best wishes.  G
 ;)

us Offline Enginears

Reply #85 on: February 02, 2024, 03:12:01 PM
Day 2
It is the last day at my old job so I thought I would capture my marble window sill view one last time

IMG_5990-compressed.jpg
* IMG_5990-compressed.jpg (Filesize: 177.64 KB)

Once again the harvester blade harvested some packages from the mail.

IMG_5987-compressed.jpg
* IMG_5987-compressed.jpg (Filesize: 215.64 KB)

Day 3

To my delight, more of a surprise, the Day Packer’s clip point blade is very  functional whittling.

Part 1 of my project was to round off the top back of  a beech handle Opinel N09.

Beech is a harder wood than I expected, and it was a workout for my  arthritic fingers.  But, the extra length of the handle  was  appropriate 😉

Looking good, I have also found the 100mm handles to be a blessing for my large hands. 

Coincidentally I bought a No9 and No7 with a blunted tip yesterday. I may have to join the Opinelchallenge next month now.  :tu:
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 04:02:07 PM by Enginears »

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #86 on: February 02, 2024, 04:16:04 PM
Nice work, Gordon.  Did you check for any groundhogs on the property?  The old timers used to cook them around here.  I think the coyotes have sorted out most of them.  They might have killed most of the foxes too.  The coyotes did the killing, not the groundhogs.  Haven't seen a fox in more than a year.  I usually get some on the night cameras.  Best wishes.  G
 ;)

First, a beautiful morning in NE Indiana, the streets were dry (first time in weeks), sun rise was glorious, viewed from my windows, and with a 33 F temperature,  it felt SO  WARM!   Walk was totally relaxing, there was no chill felt, non!

If there is a Woodchuck any where’s near by, he went back inside, there is no way he did not see his shadow.

My area, I do not encounter them at all!  Raccoons and Opossums raid my bird feeders frequently, suburban variety, no fear of people or pets.

Do have an occasional Coyote that wanders into the area, and last fall one wandered across the bridge over I-69 onto the east side and had to rounded up, as he panicked and continued east toward the city.  But, near me, they feast on Rabbit, Cats and small dogs folk leave out in the back yard at night with out watching.

In  my yard, I feed birds, awl types. This then attracts birds of prey that are very good at stripping a finch off a feeder, or sweep out of my tree and startle a Mourning Dove  into flight, but instead slams into my house, falls to the ground only to be claimed by a Red Tail.

Interesting how critters adapt…

But, for me it does appear that 6 weeks more of winter is in store 😢

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #87 on: February 02, 2024, 04:19:21 PM

~

Looking good, I have also found the 100mm handles to be a blessing for my large hands. 

Coincidentally I bought a No9 and No7 with a blunted tip yesterday. I may have to join the Opinelchallenge next month now.  :tu:

Well then!  I will look forward to you adding your name to the list…
N07 with blunted tip, interesting, can wait to see a picture.

Hope yours is as good!

Reply #88 on: February 02, 2024, 05:29:01 PM
Day 2, Solo

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #89 on: February 02, 2024, 09:58:14 PM
Day 2

Another knife blade day.

I used the Safari’s main blade to clean my fingernails, and also to cut a straw to size to make a gun sight for my son’s Pinewood Derby tank.

I elected to trim my mustache with the scissors on my Deluxe Tinker, rather than attempt it with the blade of the Safari.

* IMG_2077.jpg (Filesize: 74.56 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD