Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG losing it's "SOGginess"?

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
SOG losing it's "SOGginess"?
on: February 05, 2009, 06:19:35 AM
Does anyone else feel a little disappointed with SOG's knives lately? I mean, even without all the silly gimmick stuff (because I still think that the main purpose of the Fusion line is for SOG to experiment)... In fact, for this post: disregard the Fusion line, I'm not including it. SOG is starting to lack in originality, it seems. They aren't copying off of another company, really. They are copying themselves. 90% of their knives have been either adapted versions of other knives (mini, camo) or knives like what is called the Stingray, which is exactly the same as a Tomcat, but with a thinner handle. I don't know...
Furthermore, I would say that SOG is doing a good job with multitools, because they recently released a few new ones... but it took them at least six or so months extra to get them out.
Also, something that isn't a testament to SOG declining as a knife maker -but I'd still like to mention- is that I've noticed their prices are kind of insane on a few things. I know they are good quality knives, but I saw a knife that wasn't even big enough to fit in your hand, and it was listed at almost 200 bucks! This means that stores would have it for maybe 150, but that's still high... I still don't know.....

It's late here, so a lot of this probably doesn't make sense. I'll look at it tomorrow.  :-[

-Joey

[

us Online David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Re: SOG losing it's "SOGginess"?
Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 02:33:33 PM
I am no expert on this subject but let me see what I can add to this:

SOG is a very conservative company, like Victorinox. They don't make changes often and when they do they can range from subtle to extreme (PowerAssist for instance)

SOG is so stuck in their original line I think they are afraid to venture outside of their box they are in. Granted they have some non-fusion knives coming out this year, some being the Aigis, Facet, Fatcat and Bluto. With the exception of the Fatcat which is a Tomcat that has been beefed up, they are afraid to make a change. The focus more on materials, things like "digi-camo" and other things like that. I think seriously that they think, if it isn't broke don't fix it.

Loosing their Sogginess? Maybe not, after all they have not changed that much and retain who they are as a company. They are still very SOG and no one else is like them to say the least. They still manufacture high quality tools and knives and even though they don't innovate all the time they are still a major player and competitor in the industry today.

I do wish they had a new vision about stuff though, they need to get and and do some stuff like Kershaw does. SOG needs to find some Knife Designers and stuff and come up with some stuff that will all make us go WOW! Until then we will continue to buy SOG that is SOG and will forever be SOG  :P

Offline Nutznboltz

Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 03:05:47 PM
I don't think they're losing their Soginess, infact they seem to be holding on to it a little too tight.  Evident by your own observations of the lack of new ideas and models which don't come along very often.  Sog's line is pretty much what is was five years ago with the exception of a few new additions which are variations or improvements of existing items ( same blade styles on different knives ).  I think when they find a successful formula they run with it, look at how many models of the Flash, Trident, Vison and PowerLock etc. are available.  What they offer works and as long as the sales are high they don't mess with it.  I agree with David, they need to bring in some new designers or at least get some collaborations going like Benchmade, Emerson for some fresh ideas.
The Fusion line is a whole other story. ???

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 03:55:38 PM
I suppose this has to do with what we expect form a company.  Take Spyderco for example, we would be stunned if they didn't come out with new designs, and updates for existing ones, every year.  yet we don't have the same expectation of Victorinox.  If they brought out a range of new knives every year, we would be stunned.  I suspect that this is a question of "tactical" vs "traditional".  We think tactical should be ever evolving, traditional should be a reassuring constant.  So should SOG have to come up with new designs every yer?  Perhaps not, but they do run the risk of being left behind by their contemporaries.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 12:01:09 AM
Yes. What I was basically trying to say last night was you'd think that if they take so long to come out with knife designs, the knives would be a lot better than what they seem to be. I'm pretty impressed with their tools right now, actually. I'm mainly talking about the knives.  :P
[

Offline joeye975

Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 03:19:37 AM
On my oponion, the sog powerlock is just a multitools instead of fold knife. So the main blade of sog mulittools is only design for use in emergency. However, I also think the blade is too weak, this is also the butt come from the fans of leatherman. Now I am planning to customize the main blade to Damascus steel and I will post the pic when I got it!

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 03:34:49 AM
looking forward for those pics mate :tu:
A

us Offline nelly1974

• No Life Club
  • Pitbulls are people too
Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 08:19:13 PM
 i REALLY REALLY want to like sogs simply because of the pliers and the way those exposed gears look. oh, and the butterfly opening. but i cannot put it in the same category as swisstools and leathermans. just to many cons about them.
i just got a power assist a month and a half ago, carried it a few times and now it sits in my drawer. does not feel like a strong tool compares to my core, swisstool or surge. if it wasnt because it was a birthday gift i would have already traded it.
just my opinion though :)
[

us Online David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 02:34:13 PM
I like the powerassist; I normally would not carry such a large tool if I had a chance but the new sheath lets it ride lower on my belt and it seems the weight carries different in it. Overall nice too but still some drawbacks. If I could make a new SOG tool it would have tools that open from the outside, make it the size of a PPP and add the new gear head and a locking mech. Add a OH blade and I am sold, but it doesn't have to have one.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%