Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

LED build upgrade advice for P996 6V lantern

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
LED build upgrade advice for P996 6V lantern
on: September 28, 2023, 08:23:45 AM
I am looking to upgrade the bulb in a P996 6V lantern from its current yellow glow to a nice bright white LED.  I've had a mooch around on Ebay and there is a bewildering choice.

Is anybody able to help with a recommendation on this. It is a standard fitting 6V build.

Thanks in advance  :salute:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Re: LED build upgrade advice for P996 6V lantern
Reply #1 on: September 29, 2023, 03:29:39 AM
I have limited experience with this, but did get several LED drop-ins from Nite Ize that gave new life to some old Maglites.  So, if you can find something from Nite Ize that looks like it will fit your lantern, you’ll probably be set.

However, unless you insist on continuing to use this particular lantern for sentimental reasons, I would suggest that a new LED lantern might be a better option.  Some of today’s offerings have really useful features you won’t get from a drop-in LED module, such as multiple brightness settings, white and red light options, and battery level indication.

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Re: LED build upgrade advice for P996 6V lantern
Reply #2 on: September 29, 2023, 07:59:36 AM
Thanks Nate, I will follow your recommendation.  Nite Ize have a good reputation. Everything else I have found seems to be random unbranded Chinese made and difficult to assess the potential quality such items  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%