Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The One Million Mile MagLite

us Offline BlindFarmer

The One Million Mile MagLite
on: December 24, 2023, 04:50:15 PM
Hello everyone. I thought I would share this short story. My dad worked for a Ford/Motorcraft auto parts warehouse from 1979-2010. He drove a delivery van and sold Ford/Motorcraft auto parts to Ford dealers and small shops across the state. He had various Ford/Motorcraft branded items over his career. I have his unused Ford branded Buck 110 for example. This 3D cell Maglite dates to 1/22/92. From 1992-2010 my dad drove over one million miles on the job. This Maglite was his company work van light. The light was carried in three vans and was used five days a week. This flashlight is the reason why I use Maglight products. The replacement bulb is still in the tailcap. These days this light is pretty dim compared to a modern LED model. I now have a Maglite ML300L 4Dcell flashlight. I love the economy mode. Here is dad’s one million mile Maglite.

* IMG_20231219_110326493.jpg (Filesize: 98.75 KB)
When all else fails, go for the joke - Paul

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: The One Million Mile MagLite
Reply #1 on: December 24, 2023, 06:16:52 PM
That's definitely old school - and an heirloom.  Back in the day, the Maglite was the big dog.  I first got into lights 30+ years ago, when 60 lumens out the front end was killer.  Now, the Olight Arkfeld Pro in my pocket cranks 1300, and has a UV light and a laser.  But for nostalgia, and thumping bad guys, a big Maglite is hard to beat.  I knew a police officer who was kicked off the force for using his Maglite on knuckleheads too liberally.

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #2 on: December 24, 2023, 09:48:37 PM
Great story, thanks for sharing.

Brings back some memories for myself. For a long time I used a Maglite AA, with a 3D cell in my bag when I needed more light.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 24, 2023, 10:58:12 PM
Cool old school light with a great story!

Before modern lights with LEDs, intelligent driver circuits, and multiple output modes, those big multi-D cell Maglites were top shelf in terms of both output and runtime.

Like PN, I now carry a Nitecore that is not much bigger than a mini-Mag, but has five output modes (up to 1800 lumens for a fairly short burst, as low as 1 lumen for about 1000 hours, and three intermediate levels) plus strobe.

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 25, 2023, 12:14:20 AM
I don't know how Maglite can sell a 3x D-cell LED light that weighs 30 oz. and puts out 168 lumens.  But that doesn't stop me from wanting one just for fun.

One could use Eneloop AA rechargeables in D-cell holsters maybe.

https://maglite.com/collections/led/products/maglite-3-cell-d-led-flashlight

ca Offline buggs

Reply #5 on: December 25, 2023, 06:00:54 AM
I don't know how Maglite can sell a 3x D-cell LED light that weighs 30 oz. and puts out 168 lumens.  But that doesn't stop me from wanting one just for fun.

(Image removed from quote.)

One could use Eneloop AA rechargeables in D-cell holsters maybe.

https://maglite.com/collections/led/products/maglite-3-cell-d-led-flashlight

Thankfully I have one still.  I believe I bought it around 1997 or so, the year I bought my first house.  3D cell beast that was at least as much self defense weapon as anything else, though never used that way.  Pretty sure the Fenix on my keychain is brighter than the original Maglite but it's still going and I won't part with it.  I still love Maglites to this day. 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: January 18, 2024, 07:16:38 PM
Great old light and story.  My partners son is LEO and carries a Fenix and Surefire for duty.  My friend is a 26 year vet and carried a Maglite when she first hit the streets.  I did security work and thats when I bought my 2C Maglite.  I was underpowered then but the reputation was unbeatable. 

I love my Emissar D4V2.  Its not for everyone but man its fun.  Aux leds and a bunch of modes.  Running on a18650 cell and very pocketable. 

Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #7 on: January 20, 2024, 05:55:16 PM
Neat! This is what I love about Mag Lites. They just Work and they are Affordable
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD