Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Questions About Multi Tool Quality

us Offline BlindFarmer

Questions About Multi Tool Quality
on: December 31, 2023, 02:46:20 AM
Hello everyone. In another thread I asked about heavy duty multi tool models. Here is a follow up to that. In life I tend to avoid brands that I have never heard of, I stick to known quality brands. When it comes to the major brands such as Gerber, Leatherman, SOG, Victorinox, etc, which brands do you feel are of the highest quality? Consider the price paid vs. what you get, which do you feel offer the best bang for the buck? For example, many feel that the $150 Leatherman Surge is the multi tool heavy duty king. Would a Gerber or Sog be of similar quality, or would they be noticeably lower quality? I find I am drawn more to the heavy duty multi tool rather than a pocket or keychain version. In the real world are we simply dealing with the multi tool version of Ford vs chevy vs dodge?
When all else fails, go for the joke - Paul

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Re: Questions About Multi Tool Quality
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2023, 03:05:54 AM
I think when it comes to quality Victorinox is probably top of the line. Leatherman is not without it's faults lately but I would put them in the second spot. SOG/Gerber are possibly on par with one another, maybe Gerber inching ahead in respect to the domestically produced tools. SOG quality was better, maybe 8 years ago but several changes have knocked them being near the top. I miss the Lynnwood, WA days.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #2 on: December 31, 2023, 03:18:19 AM
I’ve only got one SOG, a Power-something Deluxe. The pliers are okay, but the other tools look and feel terrible compared to a Leatherman.

I’ve got a Gerber Dual Force, and that seems fairly decent. Worth having just for the slip joint pliers and the driver.

Never had a Victorinox multitool, so can’t comment on them.

In terms of build quality and fitness for purpose, I think I’ll be sticking to Leatherman. Surge, Supertool, Crunch, or a Free series for solid pliers, anything in the range for decent functionality. The Rebar and Supertool 300 are probably the sweet spot in the range for quality and hard use.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 31, 2023, 07:23:11 AM
I'd put the ST300 and the Surge on par with the Victorinox for long term survivability, what I call desert island tough.  I'm still not convinced that the new Leathermans with the magnetic locks are as durable.  I'd give the honors to Victorinox for being less likely to rust and for tools that are actually useful.  The Gerber MP600s are not really Gerber's heavy hitters although they've been used by the military for decades now and somehow have survived.  I think the Center Drive is the new and improved MP but the other models are still so popular that they won't be discontinued and sell along side the Center Drive.  Then Gerber went and created the Dual Force and it is a beast but has fewer tools.  The SOG PowerLock is a great every day carry. It is about equal to the ST300 and has the geared pliers which are a force multiplier.  It feels a little flimsy in comparison though, and you may bend or twist the handles if you torque it wrong. They have all passed my castaway test by cutting open a coconut which is something I do in most challenges, except for the Dual Force because I haven't used it in a challenge yet. 

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #4 on: December 31, 2023, 11:55:20 AM
Few years back i would say that Leatherman and Victorinox was actually competeting with each other. Now days Victorinox takes quality 100-0 to compared to others, Leathermans quality has decreased way too much its barely over Gerber, only older Leathermans compete with Victorinox with quality. Only what good side of Leatherman is that its more innovative than Victorinox but fancy premium blade steel on Leathermans doesnt help if overall quality is questionable.
So i would place Victorinox top of quality list then Leatherman, Gerber and SOG.

Only Tools Matters

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD