Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

394 EDC Pocket Driver

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
394 EDC Pocket Driver
on: February 01, 2024, 12:24:47 AM
It's been a while since I've touched base with 394 Components and wanted to see what else he has cooked up. He has a unique eye for things and creates this heavy duty products that are meant to last. What we are checking out today is his take on an everyday carry screwdriver. A lot of us have multitools on here but sometimes you just want a dedicated driver. Dubbed the EDC Pocket Driver, it's built like a tank, and true to the 394 life.

The Pocket Driver comes in an all stainless construction minus the rotating door for the bits. The shape of the driver is bulky yet ergonomic if that makes sense. Even though it's thick he's put angles in the right areas to make it comfortable to hold. The shank of the driver is long enough to reach recessed screws and features a magnetic bit holder. While magnetized bits can be convenient for holding the screw in place, they can also be frustrating if they attract unwanted metal objects. I personally prefer them for the convenience they offer.

The construction of the Pocket Driver appears to be a standard 1/4 inch extension sandwiched between thick steel plates. It's a simple but effective approach to this build. If parts were to wear out can can easily disassemble and replace that component. The extra bits included with the Pocket Driver are: Phillips 0,1, 2 and Flat 0, 1 and 3. Having extra bits on hand is a nice feature and tackles most of the screws I deal with on the daily. This storage could be used to house any type of standard 1/4 inch bit as long as they fit in the compartment. I do wish the compartment was magnetic or padded somehow. The bits are in there pretty tight but do rattle a far amount.  Wouldn't take much for someone to add something to keep them from not making as much noise. There is no catch or lock on the door, rather it's held by friction. It's probably not necessary but would have been a nice touch.

Carrying an anchor can be problematic, thankfully the Pocket Driver has an integral pocket clip. Normal spring clips can get caught on stuff and bend or snap off completely. This clip is milled into the body and is quite robust. You won't be bending or snapping this guy off no matter how hard you try.

If your looking to add a screwdriver to your everyday carry and want something tough, look no further than the EDC Pocket Driver. Yes it's heavy but it's easy to carry and does a good job getting into those hard to reach areas. 394 is always improving, I wouldn't be surprised to see an upgrade in the future.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Re: 394 EDC Pocket Driver
Reply #1 on: February 01, 2024, 10:56:38 AM
Wow, that looks built like a tank. I am very surprised there is no cut-out for a bottle opener. Do you think it would be better with a pocket clip on the flat? I've seen very few knives and pry-bars with a clip like that.
Great review, that is such an interesting piece. I found MTO while looking for an edc screwdriver. This would have worked just fine. :cheers:

cz Offline AndyAaron

Reply #2 on: February 01, 2024, 11:25:04 AM
This looks really great. Very compact yet robust and usable. Perfect review too!

us Offline AzteCypher

Reply #3 on: February 01, 2024, 03:15:13 PM
This would've been perfect when I was working out in the field.  Going to have to check out 394.
May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Click here for cool free stuff from the Surpise Box GAW!

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award
-for most trains repaired using classic

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #4 on: February 01, 2024, 03:49:17 PM
Wow, that looks built like a tank. I am very surprised there is no cut-out for a bottle opener. Do you think it would be better with a pocket clip on the flat? I've seen very few knives and pry-bars with a clip like that.
Great review, that is such an interesting piece. I found MTO while looking for an edc screwdriver. This would have worked just fine. :cheers:
I think a spring clip would have been a better choice for the driver. Some designers like to make integral ones and 394 seems to be one of those guys. It's not bad, but I think the weight of the driver can lean away from the clip as opposed to it being centered. Bottle openers are on so many things, mainly because they're easy to do. I don't think it needs one, I'm one of those guys who doesn't pop a cold one often enough to need one.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #5 on: February 01, 2024, 03:50:21 PM
This would've been perfect when I was working out in the field.  Going to have to check out 394.
Just search them on Etsy

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21