Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Sportsman Challenge - April 2024

au Offline Brock O Lee

Re: The Sportsman Challenge - April 2024
Reply #90 on: April 03, 2024, 01:04:56 AM
Day 3:

The wife and I often skip breakfast on weekdays, but like to have a slice of mature cheddar with coffee. Friends have told me this is a strange habit. Seems perfectly normal to me…  :dunno:

Our current favourite is English Red Leicester.

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #91 on: April 03, 2024, 01:05:23 AM
Some people seem to have an aversion to having a can opener on their SAKs in 2024. Apparently because we have pull tabs for all cans these days. I do not understand this reasoning, because it is such a versatile and multi-purpose tool.

I particularly like it as a thin and light pry tool (like you showed above @Spatha), a makeshift hook, or a scraper with the circular edge. Not to mention as a 2D Philips driver or actual can opener. I still find scenarios where I have to cut open an “old skool” can, or where the modern pull tab broke off. It is one of my favourite tools to be honest.

The sharpened surface on the can opener has a lot of uses.  I've often used it as a ream to enlarge a hole.

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #92 on: April 03, 2024, 02:14:09 AM
Day 2 (how are some of y’all on Day 3 already?):

IMG_1585.jpg
* IMG_1585.jpg (Filesize: 116.67 KB)

Stubborn cashew packaging is no match for my Sportsman!

Great posts everyone!

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #93 on: April 03, 2024, 02:18:31 AM
Some people seem to have an aversion to having a can opener on their SAKs in 2024. Apparently because we have pull tabs for all cans these days. I do not understand this reasoning, because it is such a versatile and multi-purpose tool.

I particularly like it as a thin and light pry tool (like you showed above @Spatha), a makeshift hook, or a scraper with the circular edge. Not to mention as a 2D Phillips driver or actual can opener. I still find scenarios where I have to cut open an “old skool” can, or where the modern pull tab broke off. It is one of my favourite tools to be honest.

I agree - I am in favor of the can opener for all of the reasons you listed. There’s a reason some folks refer to it as “the MacGyver tool” or “the Swiss Army knife of the Swiss Army knife.” It’s mostly limited by your imagination!

That said, I wouldn’t mind a standard model with the new tool, just for the sake of variety.

I also wouldn’t mind seeing the Sportsman’s file on a Cellidor 91mm SAK either.

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #94 on: April 03, 2024, 02:59:17 AM
Day 2 (how are some of y’all on Day 3 already?):

On the other side of the planet we see the sun first! 🙂

I am in Melbourne, Aus. We are 18 hours ahead of the US West coast.

IMG_0606.jpg
* IMG_0606.jpg (Filesize: 94.18 KB)

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #95 on: April 03, 2024, 05:35:54 AM
Fair enough! I guess I didn’t really notice the Australian flag next to your name…  :think:  :dunno:

cz Offline AndyAaron

Reply #96 on: April 03, 2024, 09:32:02 AM
Day 3
Spring is here together with tons of pollen. Visiting my allergologist (if such word exists - doctor who helps with allergies).

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #97 on: April 03, 2024, 03:24:19 PM
Look what I found in the pantry - the last two hot-cross buns of the season.

us Offline Jeffjeeptj

Reply #98 on: April 03, 2024, 05:13:42 PM
It is a bit hard to see, but, it is the Sportsman in use.  Had to crop photo to reduce file size.  My 7th grade Grand-daughter entered an “egg drop” event at the library.  It is a STEM event where a bunch of kids get together to each design a container and method to soften the impact so the uncooked egg does not break when the assembly is dropped from a certain height.  The library has two floors with a balcony about 15 feet above the ground floor.  One girl wrapped her egg in a box inside bubble wrap.  Others made a container with softening inside.  My grand-daughter placed the egg inside a softened container and added a parachute.  Hers fell the slowest as the parachute was the largest of the bunch at about 3 feet on a side.  She had taped the box closed and needed a way to open the box and inspect the egg.  Sportsman put to good use. BTW,  Her egg did not break.  She was presented with a pair of eclipse glasses.  I got my SAK back.

IMG_3554.jpg
* IMG_3554.jpg (Filesize: 299.81 KB)
Most coincidences are carefully planned.

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #99 on: April 03, 2024, 06:57:13 PM
DAY 3  !!!!!

* can1.jpg (Filesize: 114.62 KB)
Carry a Victorinox SAK folks,  because you dont know what life is about to throw at you.

cz Offline AndyAaron

Reply #100 on: April 03, 2024, 07:52:43 PM
Those Canadian scales look really cool!

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #101 on: April 03, 2024, 09:23:27 PM
Those Canadian scales look really cool!

thanks. they really do look cool
Carry a Victorinox SAK folks,  because you dont know what life is about to throw at you.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #102 on: April 04, 2024, 12:16:32 AM
You convinced me. I'd love to sign up if it's not already too late.

Hey Spatha,

You can take my place.  I committed early on but didn't know I was going to get a huge project dumped on me at work and have to go out of town 3 times this month. 

I'll be following from the sidelines -- love the Sportsman!

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #103 on: April 04, 2024, 12:56:35 AM
Day 4:

Opening packages is probably the most common task for my pocket knives. This one contains an assortment of stainless steel and high tensile nuts and bolts. I plan to use them on my box trailer, to fit 4 rails and lashdown points to the inside of the load box.

I do not use a SAK to break down the boxes, they are a bit too small and simply dull too quickly. For that task my absolute favourite is a Spyderco K390 Endela wharncliffe. I keep it in the kitchen drawer specifically to handle the recycling. High carbide and high hardness tool steel is a marvel, and continues to cut cleanly for months.

gb Offline Spatha

• d---^__^---b
Reply #104 on: April 04, 2024, 01:36:33 AM
Myron, sorry to hear about your increased workload. You should maybe mention to your boss that you deserve a pay rise for all your hard work. Anyway, at least when payday comes, with a bit of luck, you might be able to treat yourself to something new and shiny...

Marlowe, do I see mangetout trimmings there, or some other pea or bean? Mangetout are one of my favourite veggies  :drool:

Jeff, the egg drop sounds like so much fun! When I was a kid I can remember painting eggs for Easter, also at my local library! If I remember correctly we made hole in each end of the egg with a pin so that we could blow out the contents before painting them. It was fun, but I would be much more into the engineering challenge than the artistic one. Big parachute for the win! You must be a proud Grandfather.

Day 3 for me saw some use of the scale tools. The toothpick is often used quite a bit for its intended purpose after lunch. Also today I somehow snagged a fingernail, so the file came to the rescue. This new file seems very aggressive to me, but perhaps I just need to get used to it. At the moment I still prefer the old style. It seems that both types have pros and cons.

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #105 on: April 04, 2024, 02:00:57 AM
This new file seems very aggressive to me, but perhaps I just need to get used to it. At the moment I still prefer the old style.

I felt the same when I first started using the new file. It simply chewed through nails and felt waaay too aggressive. Over time I got used to the new file, and now I prefer it. It is very efficient, and although I have not used it to file anything other than nails, I think it capable enough to handle harder tasks.

I took this picture a while ago to compare the SAK nail files I have around.

Top to bottom
- Executive 81 (65mm)
- Alox Cadet 2017 LE (old file)
- Sportsman
- Alox Cadet 2018 LE
- Executive (74mm)

ca Offline Jazz

Reply #106 on: April 04, 2024, 02:41:21 AM
This new file seems very aggressive to me, but perhaps I just need to get used to it. At the moment I still prefer the old style.

(Image removed from quote.)

I strongly dislike this new style. Way too aggressive,

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #107 on: April 04, 2024, 02:48:26 AM

Day 3 for me saw some use of the scale tools. The toothpick is often used quite a bit for its intended purpose after lunch. Also today I somehow snagged a fingernail, so the file came to the rescue. This new file seems very aggressive to me, but perhaps I just need to get used to it. At the moment I still prefer the old style. It seems that both types have pros and cons.

[/quote]

I love the new style nail file. With the old style I would file my nail , put the SAK away , then realize the nail still felt rough. I often had to file a nail several times even with a new file. This new file is a beats. once you get used to it , its much more efficient . I also find I can file down small metal objects as well. Its amazing

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #108 on: April 04, 2024, 03:10:01 AM
Day 3

No used to report today, unfortunately.

IMG_1586.jpg
* IMG_1586.jpg (Filesize: 98.29 KB)

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #109 on: April 04, 2024, 03:13:27 AM

Marlowe, do I see mangetout trimmings there, or some other pea or bean? Mangetout are one of my favourite veggies  :drool:

Snow peas this time! I’m afraid I don’t know what a mangetout is…

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #110 on: April 04, 2024, 04:20:05 AM
Snow peas this time! I’m afraid I don’t know what a mangetout is…
Mangetout "eat all" is the French word for snow peas.  You eat all: the pea and the pod.

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #111 on: April 04, 2024, 04:51:02 AM
Well there you have it. I knew I was going to learn a lot during this challenge. I just didn’t know it was going to be about vegetables!

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #112 on: April 04, 2024, 05:37:50 AM
I used the main blade to remove the cellophane from a cd set.

* 002a.jpg (Filesize: 158.26 KB)

us Offline Jeffjeeptj

Reply #113 on: April 04, 2024, 02:16:26 PM
Have to go on an out of town road trip today.  Sportsman will be getting a lot of pocket time sitting in the car today.  Seems like his tongue is sticking out in disgust.

IMG_3555.jpg
* IMG_3555.jpg (Filesize: 260.56 KB)
Most coincidences are carefully planned.

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #114 on: April 04, 2024, 06:49:06 PM
DAY 4 !!!!

* s2.jpg (Filesize: 75.53 KB)

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #115 on: April 04, 2024, 09:11:42 PM
DAY 4 !!!!
You set the bar pretty high!

Still looking for a unique model Sportsman.

Day before yesterday, had a shoelace result is a knot, a very tight knot because I was certain it would work free the harder I pulled🤪

Gave me excuse to go check my two EVOs, both have Corkscrews, and it did the trick 👍 :hatsoff:

One EVO has the same toolset, nail file is different, the other has a locking main blade and a small clip blade in place of the file.  One is 3 layer the other is two.

So Sportsman remains on the list, Corkscrew and nail file blade are pluses.

Will continue to monitor👍

PS:  I am not a well versed SAK type! But, love learning the tips and tricks of the veterans.
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

cz Offline AndyAaron

Reply #116 on: April 04, 2024, 09:14:48 PM
Day 4

I started with walking the dog in the forrest

Then I cut some pear and put it in my porridge

Then I used the pin to push pins in my watch band

In the evening I cut onion and made a tuna spread for the dinner. Unfortunately, I didn’t take a picture as I needed to hurry- my wife was hungry :D

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #117 on: April 04, 2024, 09:42:24 PM
Looking good, folks!

:like:

gb Offline Spatha

• d---^__^---b
Reply #118 on: April 05, 2024, 01:26:35 AM
 :popcorn:
Great posts from everyone again today. Canuckdad, those mints are so cool! Made me dig out my old Penguin 60s edition of The Tell-tale Heart. Poe's short stories really pack a punch.

Day 4 here saw some use of the multitool multitool. The can opener is perfect for easing open split rings, especially little fiddly ones. The key ring that this small tape measure came equipped with was far too large for my purposes, so the Sportsman helped me swap in something of more reasonable proportions.

This is how it was originally.

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #119 on: April 05, 2024, 03:12:58 AM
Day 4

I remember reading somewhere that the tip of the file on the Sportsman can sometimes be used on small Phillips screws.

Well, it can!

IMG_1588.jpg
* IMG_1588.jpg (Filesize: 87.78 KB)

As I was using my laptop today I kept feeling the actual case shift and make some creaking sounds. I have repaired and rehabbed many laptops in my time so I flipped it over and found that a couple of the screws that help hold the case together had worked themselves loose.

The nail file was able to snug them up!

You have to be careful though - you’re not making a lot of contact with the screw and these size 0 screws are often very easy to strip. But it worked!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $10.00
PayPal Fees: $0.67
Net Balance: $9.33
Below Goal: $290.67
Site Currency: USD
 3%