Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Can't make up my mind..

Offline arc_shep

Can't make up my mind..
on: February 03, 2024, 12:11:45 AM
Long time lurker hoping to get some pointers on my next SAK.

I currently am looking for a new 111mm SAK.

I've currently got one, Trekker OHT NS with black smooth scales.

I was eyeballing the Adventurer, another Trekker NN, Forester grip, or Soldier 08.

They're all so similar and I just can't pick hah, good problem to have I guess.

My thoughts

Adventurer: 2 layer easy to carry.
Trekker: Easier on the hand using the saw.
Forster: Grip seems interesting, but corkscrew..
Solder: Grip, but half serrated.

Any other suggestions? Kind of leaning towards to solder or the adventurer, but the trekker is only 8 bucks more and you get a saw.

My use case is EDC but also outdoor so 2 and 3 layer is pretty easy call there. Any other suggestions?

I'm also planning on picking up a farmer X for around town. Idk why I lean towards the basics plus a saw  :salute:

Offline arc_shep

Re: Can't make up my mind..
Reply #1 on: February 03, 2024, 12:28:07 AM
Forgot to mention I'm lefty so the liner lock is great for me  :)

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 03, 2024, 01:23:51 AM
You really want some people that you don't know at all to make up your mind for you?  The standard Multi-tool.org answer is to buy them all.  I would throw in the idea that I think the saw is very useful outdoors.  I probably wouldn't consider one without it.  I hope you enjoy posting here.  Let us know what you pick.  If you have been lurking a while, you know that pictures are very desirable.  Best wishes.  Gary
 :cheers:

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 03, 2024, 01:57:50 AM
If it's for EDC, the Outrider might be your best bet. Never leave home without scissors.

Cheers,

Simon

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 03, 2024, 02:10:10 AM
welcome to :MTO:

i'd say go with the Trekker bic it's always good to have a saw.

but Maybe you wanna go ahead and pick up the FX first because you may find you like alox better  :dunno:

i'm pretty partial to the FX tho so i might be biased.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #5 on: February 03, 2024, 02:34:12 AM
Or go with the Workchamp and you're covered tool wise!
Barry

us Offline Jeffjeeptj

Re: Can't make up my
Reply #6 on: February 03, 2024, 03:27:02 AM
I love my Workchamp and my Sentinel, and my Rescue Tool, and my Army, and my Forester M Grip I modded with black scales so I could have a corkscrew trekker with smooth blade that holds tinder and a ferro rod.

As IMR said, buy them all.

Hope this helps! :dunno:

IMG_0160.jpg
* IMG_0160.jpg (Filesize: 451.14 KB)
Most coincidences are carefully planned.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 03, 2024, 04:34:31 AM
Well, I agree that they are all very similar.

With regard to the Grip, if you aren’t having problems gripping your OHT now, then the Grip is a solution in search of a problem.

Soldier - would not get, since it is basically the same as your OHT

Trekker - If you love your OHT except for the unsightly thumb hump and hole, this may be your best choice.

Adventurer - Only two layers makes it slimmer and lighter, but you lose the saw.  If you’re look to downsize a bit, at least sometimes, this could be your next knife.

Forester - It really comes down to corkscrew vs. backside Phillips.  How often do you use the Phillips on your OHT?How much would you miss it if you didn’t have it?  The only other downside of the corkscrew is that under prolonged or heavy use, the backside Phillips is more comfortable.  I say this as someone who is a corkscrew fan; even if you never drink wine, they are way more useful and versatile than the backside Phillips.

Let us know what you decide!

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #8 on: February 03, 2024, 06:04:16 AM
I have these two 111s: Forester (black, w saw and corkscrew) and Adventurer (red with philips).  Gives you some options.  One other thought: the Adventurer has been discontinued.  The prices for it seem to have gone up quite a bit.

* 002a.jpg (Filesize: 196.28 KB)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 06:13:20 AM by Bunk Tuppins »

Offline arc_shep

Reply #9 on: February 03, 2024, 06:14:18 AM
I'd say I'm looking for peoples opinions and experience rather than having them make up my mind for me. Thanks for all the kind replies so far. I will certainly be posting photos. I love the photo threads!

For example, does the corkscrew on the 111mm protrude from the handle like a 91mm spartan?

The grip on the trekker I haven't had problems with, but I sometimes find it a little slick when its wet, hence why I was considering the grip models.

How do folks like the half serrated blade vs a straight blade.

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #10 on: February 03, 2024, 06:21:35 AM
Make sure to look around in the SAKWIKI if you haven't yet - https://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php

cz Offline AndyAaron

Reply #11 on: February 03, 2024, 09:16:13 AM
I vote for Outrider too. I prefer scissors over saw however the best is to have both.

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 03, 2024, 05:08:29 PM
    You know, friend Arc.  The more I think about it, the more I think you need a Farmer X after all.  You already have a Forester, right?  The biggest part of the time, you will probably be out and around civilization.  Farmer X.  Perfect pocket carry. 
    Carry the black Forester in the wilds.  Farmer X in town.  Perfect combination.  Best wishes.  G
 :hatsoff:

00 Offline AZ_Hiker

Reply #13 on: February 03, 2024, 10:36:59 PM
I’m partial to the Hunter model for outdoor use.  Here’s the one I carry in my hiking pack.  It’s the slide lock version, which I like for its lighter weight than the newer liner lock version.  The hooked serrated blade is very handy for cord and rope.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 03, 2024, 11:29:39 PM
For example, does the corkscrew on the 111mm protrude from the handle like a 91mm spartan?
Perhaps slightly less than the 91mm models, but the corkscrew still sits proud of the scales on 111mm models.

How do folks like the half serrated blade vs a straight blade.
I personally do not like the CE blade.  I would rather have the PE blade.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 04, 2024, 01:37:36 AM
As you say your choices are all very similar and also like what you have already

So mix it up!
Another vote for the Outrider, as  scissors are a must for me  - It’s a fabulous model and you get your inline Phillips
Farmer would be good if you are going more minimal

Partially serrated blade is OK for me
You do get the best of both worlds

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 04, 2024, 03:17:42 AM
 :iagree:

What Huntsman said  :hatsoff:

Outrider is my favourite 111mm and a Farmer or FarmerX would also be top picks

:cheers:

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #17 on: February 04, 2024, 11:39:31 AM
First, with none of the knives you mentioned you can go wrong.

Personally I like the cork screw more than the Philips screw driver. My main use of the CS is scraping dirt and rust from found artifacts and removing pebbles from my shoe soles! The cork screw can also stash the mini screw driver or the fire starter.

The Outrider is my non-favorite: Too heavy and with a rather useless Philips. And in normal everyday life I have no purpose for the scissors. Outdoors I have a SwissCard with the small scissors in my first aid kit, so in case of really needing scissors I have a small one with me.

Maybe you can also look at the Victorinox RangerGrip 55. It is a very sleek knife. I fell in love with Onyx Black version; not for EDC, but for admiration ;)

Offline arc_shep

Reply #18 on: February 04, 2024, 05:39:47 PM
I'm pretty set on a Farmer X so went ahead and ordered one. Thanks for all the confirmations.

For a new 111m, I will likely go for the trailmaster (NN trekker). The price difference between the adventurer and trailmaster right now is 6 dollars so might as well grab the saw. I do like the OHT but I like the idea of the NN version for more ergonomic saw use. Ideally I'd just swap the one hand opening to the adventurer and put the straight blade on my current trekker. Since I'm left handed that would be the best of both worlds. If I pick up the trekker NN then I can still do that mod down the road but removing the saw. I've never modded a SAK, but I do know how to use tools.

Thanks again, I'll be sure to upload some photos of my stash and the new guys when they arrive.

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: February 04, 2024, 06:01:59 PM
 :iagree: :like:

cz Offline AndyAaron

Reply #20 on: February 04, 2024, 06:02:35 PM
Regarding the  Philips on Outrider - I like the positioning better than on the back of the standard SAKs. The one on Outrider saved me several times as it is long and in line with the handle which makes it easier to operate when you have limited space.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: February 04, 2024, 06:57:39 PM
I'll throw in a dark horse. How about a Skipper? You get an actual Phillips and a set of pliers..
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: February 04, 2024, 08:25:35 PM
I’m going throw into the hat the Hoffman Garant.
https://www.hoffmanngroupusa.com/garant-pocket-knife-multi-tool/

I’ve bought all sorts of MT over the years and the Victorinox Cadet would eventually dethrone them. Except for the Garant. In my pocket now for a month and I don’t anticipate it leaving.

It’s also kicked out my Spyderco Sage and Vic Classic.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: February 05, 2024, 01:00:34 AM
The Outrider is my non-favorite: Too heavy

I tend to agree.  I find 3 layers in 111 mm knives (4 layers in 91 mm or 93 mm) to be about the maximum comfortable.  This isn’t so much about feel in hand; it’s more that with anything larger, I begin to feel like I’m carrying a brick in my pocket.

If scissors are a must, adding a Classic on the keychain actually saves weight vs. adding a layer to a 111 mm SAK.

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #24 on: February 05, 2024, 05:27:44 AM

If scissors are a must, adding a Classic on the keychain actually saves weight vs. adding a layer to a 111 mm SAK.
When I read this I was nodding my head but when I checked the sakwiki, I found:

Forester 128g
Outrider 158g
Classic     21g

So it saves weight but not much.  It probably does save money since most already own a Classic.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #25 on: February 05, 2024, 10:35:26 AM
Fascinating - I was nodding my head too but this is surprising

However I guess, due to the four layers, the Outrider feels much heavier .....  and bulkier.
Still love that model !!

And as well as saving money "since most already own a Classic"
It possibly does save weight too .... since .... most already have a Classic ...... on their keychain!!   ;)    ???  :salute:

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: February 05, 2024, 12:55:34 PM
When I read this I was nodding my head but when I checked the sakwiki, I found:

Forester 128g
Outrider 158g
Classic     21g

So it saves weight but not much.  It probably does save money since most already own a Classic.

If it's purely about weight, don't forget the scissors in the Outrider are full-size and you get a decent Philips SD to boot. In my opinion, the nailfile and small blade of the Classic don't outweigh that (pun intended).

Regarding bulk, as I write this I have a Forester and an Outrider in front of me. Considering the size and bulk of 111 mm SAKs in general, I  just  cannot imagine any situation where I would choose the Forester over the Outrider - either of them feels relatively large and heavy when compared to 91 or 84 mm SAKs. That said, only the Forester can be had with wooden scales, which is the reason I got it. Never carried it though, whereas I do take the Outrider or Hercules with me when I go hiking.

Cheers,

Simon
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM by Simon_Templar »

Offline arc_shep

Reply #27 on: February 09, 2024, 06:30:43 AM
Ended up picking up a Farmer X.

Here is my little family of SAKs from over the years.

My first SAK a 90s spartan with the plated metal logo compared to the printed ones from nowadays.I bought it long ago and the scales are all messed up but I can't part with them.

The fisherman was next and I use it fishing as you'd expect.
Then the pioneer. Cut the crap outa my wrist on accident with that one cutting through a zip tie. Gotta becareful, but its still probably one of my favorites.
Then the bantom, which tbh I don't really like since its so thin.
And now the Farmer X, which I hope will become the new #1.

Pretty sweet little SAk gotta say.

I'm still thinking about a 111mm for sure, will revisit again soon. 
IMG_1878 copy.jpg
* IMG_1878 copy.jpg (Filesize: 104.11 KB)

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #28 on: February 09, 2024, 02:11:18 PM
So is the Trekker the red-headed stepchild of the family or was he out seeing a cat about a mouse when the photo was taken?  :D

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: February 09, 2024, 02:24:13 PM
Then the pioneer. Cut the crap outa my wrist on accident with that one cutting through a zip tie.
Were you cutting the zip tie with the main blade?

I personally find that the 93 mm awl works a lot better than the 93 mm blade for zip ties.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%