Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Exceed Designs TiRantV3

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Exceed Designs TiRantV3
on: April 17, 2024, 09:53:11 PM
I've carried a pocket knife on my person for over 20 years. My knife gets used for everything from opening mail, food prep, and the random thing that needs doing. I've used my knife even at work where I open boxes and break them down. I sometimes use my dedicated box cutter which is a Pacific Handy Cutter S4 model. It does things I can't do with my knife because it's specifically designed for a task. Lately I've come across many companies that produce everyday carry box cutters, and thought I would touch on a few. Why do we have EDC box  cutters? Because there seems to be people who want a quick access disposable blade that can be used to do dirty work. Work that they wouldn't use their pocket knife for, then again there's the no sharpening aspect as well. Needless to say there's a market for these items and companies are delivering. Today we're checking out the Exceed Designs TiRantV3, a very high end take on a design that's used by everyone.

The TiRantV3 is Exceed Designs 3rd release of the model with a whole host of changes made. I'm not going to go over what's changed since I've never used the previous versions. The TiRantV3 at first glance is familiar yet strikingly different. It doesn't even look like a box or utility cutter but rather a pocket knife. Exceed went to lengths to have this blend in with your everyday items that it becomes homogeneous. What sets it apart from the competition is the materials, and attention to detail. The TiRantV3 features a titanium handle that comes in a variety of options, ceramic bearing pivot, and a framelock with lockbar insert. The whole package is customizable, having extras that you can purchase like a rear pry bar spacer, carbon fiber scale, shorter 38mm clip, and even black hardware. Insane amount of stuff going on here, but everyone likes things they can customize and tweak.

The TiRantV3 comes in with an overall length of 6.12", a handle of 3.42, and 2.4oz. I didn't specify blade length since it's removable and there's a varying degrees of stuff that will fit this guy. But usually there's 1.45" of blade available for use. The titanium handles are 6AI-4V Grade 5 Titanium that's stonewashed & skeletonized scales. My scales in particular are the Dual Slash ones, they are milled and give me a lot of grip. The boxed shape is not uncomfortable and moulds to your hand well during use. I love the little accents like square pivot adding to the overall design shape. On the reverse of the handle we have the lockbar and deep carry pocket clip. A lockbar on a box cutter is something I'm not used to seeing. Lockup is rock solid and release has just the right amount of tension. The steel insert will help prevent wear on the titanium and ensure there's plenty of life in this lockup. I do wish this insert had an over travel like pocket knives. An over travel stop will prevent the lock from being over extended by accident. Odd not something that's entirely necessary but I figured it was common place on everything these days. The clip is dead center of the body and has the perfect amount of arc and scoop to make it easy on your pocket. I really appreciate a well designed clip as you guys know and this does not disappoint.

The business end of the TiRantV3 features a blade exchanger that allows you to choke up on the blade if necessary. The exchanger uses a locking spring similar to that of a framelock. The locking spring is part of the exchanger itself, this reduces the amount of parts in the exchanger while providing strength to the overall mechanism. The lock is strong enough that I do have some difficulty disengaging it. Strength is a good thing, I definitely don't want that blade coming loose during any kind of work. Deploying the blade is done via a flipper tab, a light switch motion will pop the blade out. The action is smooth thanks to the ceramic bearings in the pivot. The detent on the action is a little strong, requiring a bit of a push before being released and locking into position.

Overall I find the TiRantV3 quite a nifty little box cutter. It performs admirable, and offers features and options not seen on run of the mill models . These premium features do come with a higher price tag than say something at your local box store, but the tradeoff is a cutter that will last you a lifetime. Plus the quality of manufacturing makes for a better quality product. If your looking for a new box cutter, or maybe something to save your knife from those dirty jobs check out Exceed Designs TiRantV3.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD