Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

See-through Sunday

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
See-through Sunday
on: April 28, 2024, 03:41:43 AM
   Yes, I am a little early.  It is probably Sunday in places farther east than the US though.  This might turn out to be a way to showcase the semi-transparent SAK in its own daily series.  We will see if it catches on, or not. 
    Of course I am talking about the ABS scaled SAKs made by Wenger and Victorinox.  All the pretty colors with a peek-a-boo see through style.  Here we go.  Best wishes.  Gary (IMR)
 :D

PXL_20240425_162739769.jpg
* PXL_20240425_162739769.jpg (Filesize: 281.23 KB)

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: See-through Sunday
Reply #1 on: April 28, 2024, 05:52:35 AM
Definitely not too early for Sydney Gary, it’s about 2pm here so was noon when you posted, good foresight I’d say :tu:

Compact, Climber and Huntsman :cheers;

us Online AzteCypher

Reply #2 on: April 28, 2024, 07:50:08 AM
Hope you don't mind but the Green Buck Newt wanted to come along for he ride.

May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Click here for cool free stuff from the Surprise Box GAW!
🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award
-for most trains repaired using classic

us Offline Tuisto

Reply #3 on: April 28, 2024, 06:32:16 PM
What a great idea. I love the translucent colours! This one is my favourite. I have a Cybertool M and a Minichamp in this light blue. Here it is compared with the regular sapphire scale. Does anyone know the name of the light blue version?

* Blue 01.jpg (Filesize: 112.76 KB)

* Blue 02.jpg (Filesize: 105.9 KB)

* Blue.jpg (Filesize: 101.03 KB)

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 28, 2024, 07:31:08 PM
    You know, every time I take a photo of a blue or gray SAK the color comes out differently than real life.  I never did learn any of the names of the ABS scaled SAKs.  That pale blue is rather attractive at any rate. 
    Thanks to everyone who decided to post a photo.  If you want, we can try this together next Sunday and see if anyone else wants to join in. 
     I never liked the ABS scales.  Others have said they only like alox, or maybe red cellidor.  After I picked up a couple of colorful ABS Vics, I decided that I like them.  Maybe even prefer them?
Best wishes.  Gary
 :hatsoff: 

us Offline Tuisto

Reply #5 on: April 28, 2024, 07:53:09 PM
I will definitely continue posting in this thread. I really love the see-through guys. What is ABS? Does that mean that the see-through ones are made of a different material than cellidor?

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 28, 2024, 08:06:44 PM
   Yes, it is a different material.  Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene.  Best wishes.  G
 ;)

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #7 on: April 28, 2024, 09:35:40 PM

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 28, 2024, 09:46:04 PM
 :like:

us Online Enginears

Reply #9 on: April 29, 2024, 01:41:46 AM
Great thread idea! Here are my only see through, happened to be my two favorite SAKs as well. 
IMG_6921-compressed.jpg
* IMG_6921-compressed.jpg (Filesize: 445.68 KB)

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 29, 2024, 01:48:00 AM
Nice.  You know I felt like there wasn't much opportunity to do a little SAKtogether on Sunday.  Of course there is the excellent Swiss Champ thread.  Great if you have a SC, still interesting even if you don't.  The translucent scale crosses many boundaries.  Could be a SC, maybe a Spartan or a Classic.  Lots of different Wengers.  Many options to make a post.  Thanks for lending a hand.  It could become one of the regular clubs.  Maybe?  Best wishes.  G
 :tu: :tu:

us Offline Tuisto

Reply #11 on: April 29, 2024, 04:46:01 AM
Do you know, by any chance Gary, what the upper limits of safe operating temperature for the ABS handles is? I.e., for cellidor it's ~65° C; I imagine it would be lower for ABS (and I couldn't find that info anywhere on the SAK wiki). I wish I had your knowledge of SAKs!

us Online AzteCypher

Reply #12 on: April 29, 2024, 04:51:40 AM
Here's what I found on Wikipedia, provided it's the same composition as what is currently in use.

"Generally ABS would have useful characteristics within a temperature range from −20 to 80 °C (−4 to 176 °F)."

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award

us Online AzteCypher

Reply #13 on: April 29, 2024, 05:01:16 AM
Wasn't there an Ice Blue translucent scale or am I mis-remembering?

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award

us Online Enginears

Reply #14 on: April 29, 2024, 05:59:02 AM
Wasn't there an Ice Blue translucent scale or am I mis-remembering?

I remember being on the hunt for those at one point. Ice blue or light blue or teal, can’t remember exactly what they were called. Seem relatively rare compared to the red, blue, green.

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 29, 2024, 05:40:38 PM
    I am seeing ads for Lisa Whelchel, 60, leaves nothing to the imagination on the MTo site now.  I don't really remember Lisa.  I'm sure she's cute.  What happened to Dana Delaney?  I was beginning to look forward to seeing her every day.  I hope these gals in the ads make something off this cheesecake come on. 
    Maybe my mistake was naming this thread 'See through Sunday?'  Could that be it?  Some tawdry minded bot somewhere decided, "Affirmative.  Unit IMR serial 4198 potential consumer of aging star photo scam."  Sorry server.  No can do.  I was thinking about having a nice cup of coffee served by Dana's lovely hands some morning.  (sigh)  Oh well, she probably can't cook anyway.  Lisa, if you can cook, how about some photos of you making some deep dish pasta?  That gets my motor running. 
 :drool:  Best wishes.  G

us Online AzteCypher

Reply #16 on: April 29, 2024, 07:01:52 PM
 :rofl: :rofl:

All I see are adverts for retirees and asset management firms.

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 29, 2024, 07:25:43 PM
  Today it is the elephant ad again.  Ever see that one?  It is a photo of an elephant digging a hole.  Real elephant, not a cartoon.  According to the come-on, this elephant spent 11 hours digging a hole and THIS is what it dug up.  I am supposed to be overcome by curiosity and click on the elephant excavation link.  Ludicrous.   
   What in the world makes them think that I would want to know..... ?  Why do you suppose an elephant spent 11 hours.....?
Best wishes.  G
 :think:

us Offline Tuisto

Reply #18 on: April 30, 2024, 05:19:31 AM
  Today it is the elephant ad again.  Ever see that one?  It is a photo of an elephant digging a hole.  Real elephant, not a cartoon.  According to the come-on, this elephant spent 11 hours digging a hole and THIS is what it dug up.  I am supposed to be overcome by curiosity and click on the elephant excavation link.  Ludicrous.   
   What in the world makes them think that I would want to know..... ?  Why do you suppose an elephant spent 11 hours.....?
Best wishes.  G
 :think:

I keep getting ads in Latvian... I don't speak a word of the language and I've never been there before, so go figure?

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #19 on: April 30, 2024, 03:10:39 PM
Re: scale material max temps; here is what victorinox says:

https://victorinox.myassets.ch/fb/en/sak/data/assets/basic-html/index.html#10-11

* IMG_7588.jpg (Filesize: 77.4 KB)
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: May 04, 2024, 11:30:58 PM
   Yes, I know it is still Saturday here.  I think I will kick-off See-through Sunday now anyway.  Just for our Aussie friends.  It stopped raining long enough to step outside and take a photo.  The white fuzzy plant is Rose Campion.  The flowers are much brighter red than the two SAKs.  One of them is a Tinker and the other is a Spartan.  Best wishes.  G
 :D

PXL_20240504_185605571.jpg
* PXL_20240504_185605571.jpg (Filesize: 264.84 KB)

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #21 on: May 05, 2024, 03:16:12 AM
Made it!!

* IMG_20240504_142354_862.jpg (Filesize: 69.65 KB)
Barry

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #22 on: May 05, 2024, 04:30:14 AM
 :like: And I've found a source for 84mm scales that aren't red, black, or white. Sapphire and ruby are among them. I may be in trouble...
USN 2000-2006

Culling of the knife and multi herds in progress...

au Offline Echotech

See-through Sunday
Reply #23 on: May 05, 2024, 04:33:55 AM
These two pair really well IMO, could carry these most days and feel well covered

I think the first Silvertech in this thread too :tu:

us Online AzteCypher

Reply #24 on: May 05, 2024, 07:22:37 AM
It's technically Sunday.   :D  Gary, you should consider submitting this thread as a new club.

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #25 on: May 05, 2024, 08:28:27 AM
 :iagree: Can't have too many Clubs so we can ring the changes
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: May 05, 2024, 12:38:06 PM
      I took friend Aztec's suggestion and requested that the See-through Sunday be made a part of the Days of the Week rotation. 
      It seems to me that there used to be a requirement to sacrifice a small animal?  I don't really have anything on hand, but I can cook some chicken tenders for lunch and pour on some really gory looking barbecue sauce.  That should work.  Right? 
      Now for the rules.  Fun is mandatory.  Let's see..... is there a rule number two?  No, I don't think so.  Everybody seems to understand the nature of this beast, so there is no reason to encumber it any more.  Best wishes.  Gary (IMR)

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #27 on: May 05, 2024, 01:00:33 PM
I have two and they are advertising Spartans. Thanks to my youngest brother who worked there.

* 1-IMG_0300-spartans.jpg (Filesize: 126.12 KB)

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #28 on: May 05, 2024, 01:06:33 PM
 :like: :like:
Barry

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: May 05, 2024, 01:21:04 PM
    Some nice ones today.  I wondered how the pretty jelly SAKs thread would go over.  I do see one issue.  Might as well come out with it.
    Dan, you are not allowed to give friend Aztec the address for the colorful 84mm scales.  Our Texas friend has a problem with buying things.  His long suffering wife has been giving him therapy for his add..... problem.  My understanding is there is an application of a wet towel to his face involved.  Maybe some loud screeching noises too.  Just until he regains his wits. 
    On the other hand I really do like that pretty purple Wenger.  It just makes me want .... OUCH... that hurt!  And got my shirt wet too.  You can stop now.  Really.  I'm back.  Lovey baby is back.  Calm down. 
Best wishes.  G
 :twak:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75