Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Spyderco MOD that was not a MOD.... yet ?

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
The Spyderco MOD that was not a MOD.... yet ?
on: February 12, 2009, 10:02:15 AM

I had a chance to pick up a new Spyderco Para Military  G10PS ( partially serrated ) off of  a  forum for an exceptional deal. I traded a Spyderco for the G10PS which put me into the Para Military knife for $30 and new it’s a  $220.00 MSRP Spyderco. There was one small problem. On the end of the scales, from the open end of the pocket clip, there were drilled 3 small holes, a novice attempt to relocate the pocket clip from the other end of the scales. ALL had gone ALMOST well in the brain surgery except when the brain surgeon went to put the top screw nearest the edge of the scale he tightened it up too much and snapped off the screw even with the scale. Now with no backup plan he then put the $220 ParaMilitary  up for trade and I traded for it in a heart beat -  I could not think of a reason not to get it for that price. I had a NEW spare PM pocket clip and screws so the removal of the beat up pocket clip would be a simple R&R operation. The problem lay at the other end of the PM, and there were a number of choices. for me to choose from.....

1. Order a new set of scales for the PM

2. Order or make my own custom scales for the PM

3. Try to match some epoxy to the old scales and just fill the 3 holes the Brain Doctor had drilled.

4. Remove the broken screw and continue down that road ( easiest and least expensive way out I could see ).

#4  Seemed do-able and the other 3 options could be viable plans I could fall back on if I got over my head or it got dicked up.

SO, with a small center punch I hit the center spot on the top of the broken screw that was exposed from the the top of the G-10  scale. Got my Dremel tool and a small carbide drill in an attempt to get the busted off screw loose. Two minutes on the drill and I was through the bottom of the metal point on the screw. Then I took another small center punch and lightly tapped on the broken screw hoping to just loosen it from the G10 scale and it moved downward enouh to expose the pointed tip of the screw. I took a pair of small mecical hemostats ( Doctor Vise Grips if you will) and latched on the the screw tip from between the opening in the oposing sides of the scales. I then turned the screw downward until it broke free of the top scale it was screwed into. Loosened the hemostats and the end of the screw fell on the work bench. Tapped all 3 holes to 440 screws, cut the 1/4" screws to the length of the holes in the G10. The screws had to be reduced in length so they would be flush with the inside of the G10 scale and not rub against the blade when it was opened or closed. Took a hand die set and threaded the scale. Put a drop of glue on the reduced screws ( remember all they are doing in covering the nasty holes that DR Strangelove drilled into the G10 scales, they are not holding anything, they are just decorations to cover empty holes.). I then took some AeroSpace 303 Protectant and sprayed the scales to make them look new again and hand buffed it off the Para Military looked presentable. Now for $30 I have an EDC Spyderco Para Military . I sure wish I had enough guts to get into doing a MOD or two on a SAK, maybe that will be next on my list of things to accomplish.. ENJOY.

02/2009

Andrew J. Gnoza, III
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 10:23:51 AM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: The Spyderco MOD that was not a MOD.... yet ?
Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 10:35:51 AM
Mate, if you have the skills to remove that broken screw then I suspect you might just about be able to do a little SAK modding.  ::) ;)  Seriously though, good job and modding SAKs is a doddle and a lot of fun.  :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 11:55:58 AM
Great work Andrew  :tu:  Looks great.  :)
I'm back!!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 06:45:47 PM
Good job mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 11:10:33 PM
Nicely done!
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 02:37:17 AM
Good bit of "defusing" a problem knife eodtech! :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 03:11:30 AM
Nicely done :tu:   What a bargain as a result  :salute:

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline Splat

Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 06:32:58 PM
1. Order a new set of scales for the PM

I tried that but Spyderco does not sell scales for the PM, unless you can get them from somewhere else.

Tapped all 3 holes to 440 screws, cut the 1/4" screws to the length of the holes in the G10. The screws had to be reduced in length so they would be flush with the inside of the G10 scale and not rub against the blade when it was opened or closed. Took a hand die set and threaded the scale. Put a drop of glue on the reduced screws ( remember all they are doing in covering the nasty holes that DR Strangelove drilled into the G10 scales, they are not holding anything, they are just decorations to cover empty holes.).

Good luck with that. I was going to do that to my PM but everyone I talked to about tapping and epoxing the G10 said it wouldn't hold. My resulting PM tip-up clip mod got a little dirty but it worked. Now I wish I wound up liking the knife.  :(  I've since found the choil too small and the D2 blade came pretty dull and sharpening it on the Sharpmaker has been a PITA. I wish you better luck with your PM.
Splat

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD