Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New SOG Stuff

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
New SOG Stuff
on: January 20, 2011, 05:34:46 AM
SOG has some pretty cool new stuff this year as well- this copy of an old slip jointed electrician's knife called the Contractor III for an example.

Given that it's the Contractor III, one had to wonder where the other models were, which led me into the whole new Contractor Series:

After looking at those I spotted this little number, which SOG calls the Nautical:

And, I also got to see the little number I'd been looking for, the reissued CrossCut:

This new version appears to be pretty well identical to the original, but I'd have to try them side by side to be absolutely sure.  I couldn't spot a difference though.

Last but not least, and I'm throwing this in since SOG owns them now, Tool Logic is offering this cheap Asian knockoff of a SAK, and no one I spoke to has any idea why.  But, it comes in blue and black, for whatever that's worth.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Re: New SOG Stuff
Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 05:39:36 AM
Def you have great taste I have been looking hard at the Contractor III and Nautical.

What is the funny blade on the Contractor for?

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 05:51:59 AM
It's a screwdriver/light duty pry bar.

This is patterned on a classic design- I think Case, Queen and Schatt & Morgan have similar models, but I've often thought they were a bit too fancy to use.  I like this one- it looks like a work knife.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 06:13:45 AM
Def, did you spotted Lou Ferrigno in the SOG Booth ?

Apparently he stopped by for a while acording to their fb post
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150143427640329&set=a.10150142463020329.332773.60059500328

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 06:38:21 AM
Nope, I missed that, and I also missed Ted Nugent this morning too.   >:(

Def

us Offline SlackOne

• See Saw Seen
Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 06:41:39 AM
...way to class up the joint, Tool Logic.
Half-ass done wholeheartedly!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 06:57:30 AM
Tool Logic is not responsible for that one.  SOG says they don't know why it's there- some mumbo jumbo about hitting price points and whatnot.  I think it's "filler" more than an actual, marketable product.

Def

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 04:27:03 PM
Frack, I'm going to have to get one of their Contractor III knives now. ._.  Any idea on price?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 04:37:07 PM
I don't have any pricing info unfortunately.  On that particular series, I didn't actually talk to Chris, but spotted it on an early recon through their booth prior to my meeting.

Def

de Offline Dr. Bahn

Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 04:40:20 PM
Are the axis of the contractor series screwed or bolted together?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 04:43:30 PM
They appear to be riveted pins, so I doubt they'd be adjustable.

Def

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 04:58:36 PM
Frack, I'm going to have to get one of their Contractor III knives now. ._.  Any idea on price?
SOG's site says $55

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 05:03:16 PM
SOG's site says $55

So about $20-25 actual price; hmm. :think:

Eh, blade hardness is a bit soft for my liking; I'd probably be better off just sticking to the Camillus examples I have. >.>
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 05:06:52 PM by Sazabi »

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 05:16:51 PM
So it would seem that SOG are going back to basics with their pocket knives.  No bad thing, though I wonder if they'll get to market like that... I can only see the SOG logo once on each tool :think: :P

As for the Outdoor Companion .....
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 07:23:41 PM
Oh for...

Steel   6Cr12MoV
HRC   52-55

That's the steel on all the Contracter series... and the lowest MSRP I could find was $48.00, all made in China.

Dammit SOG!  The point of manufacturing in China is to get decent specifications at a good price. 

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 08:56:03 PM

I like the look of that Contractor III and also the scales on the tool logic  :)
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline SlackOne

• See Saw Seen
Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 10:17:35 PM
Tool Logic is not responsible for that one.  SOG says they don't know why it's there- some mumbo jumbo about hitting price points and whatnot.  I think it's "filler" more than an actual, marketable product.

Def

Someone had to OK it...it's not like the CAK Gremlins just invaded one night and left them there for the cobbler to find the next morning.  Having that humpback-scissor'd nightmare in the catalog reduces Tool Logic to the arena of junk tables at the local flea market.
Half-ass done wholeheartedly!

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 10:52:03 PM
Tool Logic need to change from "Built for Life" to "Just say NO!!"  ::) 

Another CAK is the last thing this world needs..  :P
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,21688.msg402100.html#msg402100

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 12:41:57 AM

Def

Someone had to OK it...it's not like the CAK Gremlins just invaded one night and left them there for the cobbler to find the next morning.  Having that humpback-scissor'd nightmare in the catalog reduces Tool Logic to the arena of junk tables at the local flea market.

Absolutely right- I was just meaning that it shouldn't be taken as being indicative of the brand.  My guess is it's filler in this year's catalogue that will be replaced with an in house design next year.

Def

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 12:55:19 AM

I like the look of that Contractor III and also the scales on the tool logic  :)

im confused by the blades, the electricians bit looks to be on the wrong side to me :S ?
I

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 02:44:34 AM

:salute: What would you need one of those for? Scrappin' toasters?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 04:16:08 AM
SOG has some pretty cool new stuff this year as well- this copy of an old slip jointed electrician's knife called the Contractor III for an example.

(Image removed from quote.)

Def

Alright, now that looks like a respectable knife! :salute: :salute:

(certainly one h*ll of a lot better than that ridiculous junk in the background....) ::)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 01:42:15 PM

im confused by the blades, the electricians bit looks to be on the wrong side to me :S ?

Aside from a slight reprofiling of the electrician's blade along the top, the layout is unchanged from the Schrade, Imperial, Case, Camillus, et al. makers' design on the knife.  I stand corrected, the electrician's blade is now a backlock design instead of linerlock; aside from that, though, it is the same.

Just for those days when I like to be "old school" with my EDC and go sans SAK, but still prefer having at least a knife with /some/ tools on it. :D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 01:58:06 PM by Sazabi »

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #23 on: January 24, 2011, 10:07:26 PM

Aside from a slight reprofiling of the electrician's blade along the top, the layout is unchanged from the Schrade, Imperial, Case, Camillus, et al. makers' design on the knife.  I stand corrected, the electrician's blade is now a backlock design instead of linerlock; aside from that, though, it is the same.

Just for those days when I like to be "old school" with my EDC and go sans SAK, but still prefer having at least a knife with /some/ tools on it. :D

i got a bit confused and thought it was a wire stripping bit like on this knife, oopss

I

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD