Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Silverline LM Crunch clone

nelson · 161 · 31085

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Silverline LM Crunch clone
Reply #120 on: May 15, 2013, 03:15:39 PM
FYI. the dress actually came from China, and was only ordered 13 days ago ! not bad, i wonder if the 'crunch clone' gets here from England any quicker ?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Wait John,breath...and  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

scotland Offline xt60043f

Reply #121 on: May 15, 2013, 03:40:18 PM
"it's here....!"
"it's here ... !"
 :mail:

well it might be going back  :facepalm: while it looks a great bit of kit for the money. actually quite well made from what i can see. the blade/drivers/file etc. don't seem to 'lock' into the closed position  :think:
they lock lovely in the 'out' (deployed ?) I'll try and get a clear pic on here, after a bit more of a fiddle, see if it can be put right  :whistle:
but I'll have to eat my words  'Royal Mail' & Amazon dispatch fairies :tu:

:ahhh  :cheers:

When you say 'don't lock', is the locking lever being jammed up by something (one of the metal tool separators) or is it a bit stiff and not being pushed down by the spring?

//still waiting for my SOG PG  :twak:
The Leatherman crunch.  One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass consumption. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #122 on: May 15, 2013, 03:57:59 PM
i'll try and describe without pics, not sure if they'd show the problem very clearly anyway.
when the blade (or diver/file) is deployed they lock up VERY possitively, with a pleasant 'snap' and feel rock solid.
but the tools still in the the handle still wobble in and out. the locking groove on the opposite radius, by the pivot, seems to be twice as wide as it needs to be  :think:
(does that make any sence ? it does in my head but that doesn't always mean the rest of the world understands)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #123 on: May 15, 2013, 04:12:39 PM
Doesn't sound like that would affect performance, and was possible done purposefully to ensure that the deployed tool locks up without impairment. If the other groves were closer and a tool was slightly out of position inside and not noticed by the user, the deployed tool may fail to lock (again unnoticed) and fold in use leading to a cascade of colourful annunciation

EDIT: That's my 5555th post  :P

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Reply #124 on: May 15, 2013, 04:49:28 PM
And now they sent the me the wrong SOG.

I am so disappointed. :(
The Leatherman crunch.  One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass consumption. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #125 on: May 15, 2013, 04:57:06 PM
i saw your post, what are you most disappointed about ? I'm no expert, but looks like the 'latest' model to me ??? i think the piano locks came and went, because they weren't that good ? i have an old powerlock (that has been owned and used by a few members here) and that style of lock works pretty well !

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #126 on: May 15, 2013, 05:10:50 PM
Hope this shows the 'play' in the locked tools
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 152.17 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 186.31 KB)

Reply #127 on: May 15, 2013, 05:21:43 PM
From your pictures it very much looks like the lock clip is not engaging with the notch in the back of the tools. Are you able to look inside and see if you have a malformed tool or perhaps one of the spacers has become dislodged and rotated around?

Reply #128 on: May 22, 2013, 10:58:46 AM
Did you solve your closing lock issue Taxi Dad?

Here I have reground the rather naff sheeps foot, chisel ground, serrated blade to a more conventional double flat grind/serrated combo blade.  Excuse the crappy bevel, this is the first time I have ever re-ground a blade.  It is sharp enough to do the whole cutting paper in the air thing.  It will probably become a more traditional straitback point as the tip gets worn off.
20130522_003 (Medium).jpg
* 20130522_003 (Medium).jpg (Filesize: 121.49 KB)

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #129 on: May 22, 2013, 11:40:11 AM
looking good  :tu:
still not sorted my wiggle problem, watch this space !

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #130 on: May 26, 2013, 11:28:58 PM
Is there anywhere to buy these in the states?
I'm the milk man!

Reply #131 on: May 27, 2013, 11:07:37 AM
I do not think so, well not officially.  Leatherman's patents are probably quite enforceable on their home turf.  The best you could hope to do is to set up a deal with someone in the UK.

england Offline hennypenny

Reply #132 on: May 27, 2013, 11:12:56 AM
It currently cost £10 (US$15) on Amazon UK, but the postage to the US from the UK will be another £5, so would you be willing to pay £15 (US$23) for it, when you can probably get a used original Crunch in the US for almost similar price?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #133 on: May 27, 2013, 02:01:52 PM
I'd pay $25 for one of these, but then I'm a hard core Multitool junkie and I love oddities like this one, so I may be a bit biased!

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #134 on: May 27, 2013, 03:36:26 PM
I'd pay $25 for one of these, but then I'm a hard core Multitool junkie and I love oddities like this one, so I may be a bit biased!

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
I've just doubled checked the postal charge, and it will cost £7.20 (approx. US$11), due to the weight. I'm willing to help anyone who wants this tool to get one bought & posted for absolutely no profit. Just pm me. Same goes for the Silverline Waiters multitool (faux Flair).

gb Offline Maxintheuk

Reply #135 on: June 05, 2013, 03:55:34 PM
Just got mine today, some thoughts ...

Well, the locking pliers work great, nice design, good fit and finish, neat and compact.  As a compact folding locking plier it is great - the rest of it is not so good!  Surprised to say people have said it is 90% a LM because that says little for LM Crunch quality TBH.  The blade is really so small and crappy with deep serrations (more like a bread knife) as to be unusable.  Worse though the pivot is poor quality (very loose on mine) and the small very oddly shaped washers between the tools all get in the way to stop the blades locking or locking very randomly.  Additionally the locking lever bar is milled at an angle so again does little to lock.

Mine is back to Amazon for replacement to see if they are all like this - happy to fettle it to get it working better but want to see if I just got a lemon first.

As a £10 locking plier it is great but as for the other tools they are a kind of anti-bonus...

:D
Max.

Reply #136 on: June 05, 2013, 03:57:14 PM
It sounds like you got a total lemon.

Reply #137 on: June 06, 2013, 05:02:32 PM
Here is an Italian ebay seller who sells the crunch knock-off.  It looks like he also provides shipping to USA for only 6 Euro!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MultiTool-Pinza-Multiuso-in-Metallo-con-Accessori-Multifunzione-mod-2000-/200721532605?pt=Utensili_manuali&hash=item2ebbef86bd

Reply #138 on: June 07, 2013, 08:28:13 AM
Here is an Italian ebay seller who sells the crunch knock-off.  It looks like he also provides shipping to USA for only 6 Euro!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MultiTool-Pinza-Multiuso-in-Metallo-con-Accessori-Multifunzione-mod-2000-/200721532605?pt=Utensili_manuali&hash=item2ebbef86bd
Just a word of caution. My dealings with Italian sellers on ebay (twice) have not been the most straight forward.

Reply #139 on: June 07, 2013, 09:27:49 AM
To be fair he does have over 22000 feedback.

gb Offline Maxintheuk

Reply #140 on: June 10, 2013, 01:22:10 PM

I got the replacement today, much better.
Max.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #141 on: June 10, 2013, 03:45:17 PM
I got the replacement today, much better.
Good to hear that you are happy now.  So, what is your assessment of the %ge of Crunch functionality now you have a non-lemon ?
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

gb Offline Maxintheuk

Reply #142 on: June 10, 2013, 04:33:19 PM
Much the same really!  I cannot comment on quality compared to a LM but the locking plier element is handy but nothing a £5 'normal' Chinese locking plier (or Molegrip as we say here) would do.

It's kind of useful to fold it up and fun to play with but this is not an EDC and for me was bought to keep in my Land Rover alongside other tools 'just in case' as well as the lust for trying a 'Crunch' but thank goodness I didn't pay the silly LM price for this.  I'm a big LM fan and owner of 6 LM's but the clone at £10 is priced right - I wouldn't spend £15 on one and as for the real thing at £111 in the UK...

:think: ::) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

As for the other tools they may be useful in an emergency and are a bonus but fiddly to extract.  As mentioned the 'breadknife' is so so...
Max.

Offline rickboone

Reply #143 on: November 30, 2013, 06:29:52 AM
Can these be found in US?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #144 on: November 30, 2013, 09:39:33 AM
Can these be found in US?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They were on amazon uk, but I recently had a look and couldn't find them. So whether they've ceased production I can't say. But I'm pretty certain they'll be available online someplace.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

Offline jsutter

Reply #145 on: December 01, 2013, 03:48:33 AM
The LM Crunch is my favorite full sized multitool, but it is quite expensive. I would love to have a couple extra of these to keep around. Unfortunately, for 20 Euros (including shipping) that makes it about $27-28 and I might as well just buy another used one of ebay.

Maybe if I could get 2 or 3 of the knock off Crunches in a package and shipped together it would be a better deal.     

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #146 on: December 02, 2013, 06:21:15 AM
The Italian seller listed above still has a few left. 27 dollars shipped to the US is still cheaper than a used crunch but I would rather pay a little extra and get the crunch. If it was available for 20 or less i would say to for it.
27 is just too much for a knock off to me.

Reply #147 on: December 03, 2013, 01:09:07 PM
The faux crunch has some shortcomings.

--The file is not hardened.  This makes it practically useless for filing metal.
--The wire cutter is smurf.  It cannot cut a coat hanger (the de-facto MT wire cutter test).
--The 'grooves' on the plier jaw grip surface are poorly formed.

If you can get a real crunch, second hand at a slightly more expensive price, I would go for the real one every time.

However if you want a mostly working disposable crunch, the faux crunch is OK.

I have actually come around to the bread knife...

Offline Rorschach

Reply #148 on: December 03, 2013, 09:19:30 PM
Anyone seen these available recently? Amazon don't have any and neither does ebay. I can't justify a crunch but a modded silverline would be a great addition to my lightweight tool box :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%