Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

reason #6,173 why I carry a MT

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
reason #6,173 why I carry a MT
on: August 05, 2013, 08:18:42 PM
I rode my bike into work today, and about halfway there, my rear wheel made an awful sound and skidded to a stop.  Turns out the strap I had been using to hold the bike lock in place while I ride got caught in the rear derailleur somehow, and the results weren't pretty.  I had to completely remove the rear wheel from the frame and cut some of the strap away before I could even begin trying to untangle it from the gears. 

I spent about 30 minutes cutting, pulling, and swearing, but I finally got it cleared out and the bike put back together.  I wish I would have taken a few more pics, but at the time, I was more concerned with "how the smurf am I going to get to work?" aspect of the situation.  :D  All I can say for sure is that without my Skeletool CX, I would have been stranded and had to call someone.  :multi:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: reason #6,173 why I carry a MT
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 08:37:52 PM
Glad you was ok mate   :salute: and cool the cx saved the day  :tu:

us Offline Delta10

Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 09:14:55 PM
Well done, sir.  :cheers:

Glad to see you were prepared. Always nice to have a reminder of how your trusty Leatherman always has your back!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 09:17:55 PM
Usually each thing your tool does for you isn't worth carrying a tool for specifically, but the many times it comes in handy justifies it.

That having been said, there are times like this when they become invaluable!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 10:08:59 PM
thanks guys.  :cheers:

there are plenty of other plier-based MTs that could have done the same job; I just like the Skeletool CX for cycling/mountain biking due to its relatively slim form factor and light weight.  I don't know if keychain-size pliers (like on a PS4 or Dime) would have been sufficient as I was using quite a bit of force to get the strap out of the gears.

Usually each thing your tool does for you isn't worth carrying a tool for specifically, but the many times it comes in handy justifies it.

That having been said, there are times like this when they become invaluable!

Def

well said, Def.  I certainly don't use pliers every single day, but I was very happy to have them with me this morning.  :D

us Offline stealth007s

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 12:08:16 AM
I'm sure glad you came out of this ok Breezy. Being stranded without a MT just sucks!¡! I dropped the Charge Ti from my spare tube bag when I got the Crank Bros B17 but I replaced it with an original Wave. This post reinforces the reason I carry one.
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 06:27:45 AM
thanks stealth!  :cheers:

I would have really been up the proverbial creek without my Skeletool... I checked on google maps, and I was almost exactly at the halfway point between home and work when it happened.  :facepalm:

I have to admit, when I finished removing the strap pieces from the gears and got the bike back together, I tested it out, and my first thought was, "yup, that's why I carry one of these every day!"  ;)

of course, I have also had that same thought after completing much more trivial tasks, such as changing the batteries in my sons' toys or opening a beer.  :D

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 06:23:44 PM
Great testimonial Breezy, and exactly why it's always good to have a MT/SAK on your person at all times (except when sleeping I suppose ;)).
K-Tibbs

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD