Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Salt or Delica?

Corwyn · 17 · 1776

Poll

Spyderco Salt 1 BO SE or Spyderco Delica Damascus Titanium?

Spyderco Salt 1 BO SE
4 (40%)
Spyderco Delica Damascus Titanium
1 (10%)
Something else (what)
5 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: May 26, 2016, 12:12:03 PM

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Salt or Delica?
on: May 20, 2016, 12:12:03 PM
Which should I choose?

Spyderco Salt 1 BO SE
+ Half the price
+ Great serrations
+ Awesome steel
+ nice Titanium delicate clip
+ Bluntish handle end
+ Light and thin
- Ugly blunt tip
- Rather tacticool
- Cheapish looking FRN
- BO on blade will scratch off soon

Spyderco Delica Damascus Titanium
+ Godly beautiful Damascus
+ Godly beautiful Titanium
+ Light and thin
+ VG10 is a great steel
+ Sexy, sleek shape
+ Did I mention ungodly beautiful?
- Twice the price of the Salt (add 70 USD to either of them for shipping to Romania and customs fees)
- No serrations
- Titanium is prone to scratching
- Looks a bit common on the outside
- Looks too shiny in the pocket

« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 12:57:21 PM by Corwyn »
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline icculus

Re: Salt or Delica?
Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 12:50:43 PM
Ok since I voted something else I feel I should qualify. The Delica is one of my favorite knives of all time.

I love the look of the Damascus blade on the one. However it seems just to nice and would be strictly a collector for me and not a user. If that's what you're going for then by all means get it. It is beautiful.

If you are going to be working anywhere around water; especially salt water; then the Salt is a no brainier. I'm not crazy about the blackout and actually like the uncoated ones if they still make those but would be ok with the coated if it was my only choice. And if using on around a boat all a lot I would get the spyder edge as they do a great job with it and its great with rope. Otherwise I might get the plain edge. I actually like the sheepsfoot blade profile for certain applications.

Now with all those qualifiers out of the way...if you're just looking for a good user then just get the plain FFG regular Delica. They are great knives and not quite as specialized as the other two.  Also for an all around user and sticking with Spyderco you should be looking hard at a PM2 if you haven't already.  Awesome. Just buy from a reputable dealer as lots of fakes floating out there on the bay.
Waiting for the time when I can finally say; this has all been wonderful but now I'm on my way.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65388.0.html

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 01:06:41 PM
Ok since I voted something else I feel I should qualify. The Delica is one of my favorite knives of all time.

I love the look of the Damascus blade on the one. However it seems just to nice and would be strictly a collector for me and not a user. If that's what you're going for then by all means get it. It is beautiful.

If you are going to be working anywhere around water; especially salt water; then the Salt is a no brainier. I'm not crazy about the blackout and actually like the uncoated ones if they still make those but would be ok with the coated if it was my only choice. And if using on around a boat all a lot I would get the spyder edge as they do a great job with it and its great with rope. Otherwise I might get the plain edge. I actually like the sheepsfoot blade profile for certain applications.

Now with all those qualifiers out of the way...if you're just looking for a good user then just get the plain FFG regular Delica. They are great knives and not quite as specialized as the other two.  Also for an all around user and sticking with Spyderco you should be looking hard at a PM2 if you haven't already.  Awesome. Just buy from a reputable dealer as lots of fakes floating out there on the bay.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will think about what you said.

Regarding serrated and coated... I have 3 other Spydercos and they are all Plain Edged and plain steel. I wanted to try something different this time. Also H1 as serrated is one of the best steels you can get, plain edged it is just mediocre.

Regarding the PM2, I have one and it is my favourite knife in the world (I have it at my hip now, but it's too big for edc - peeling an apple, opening a letter - and too scary for regular folk - I got a scaredy-glance just an hour ago when opening a package).
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 01:39:09 PM
Minigrip.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 01:46:29 PM
All I can say that with the price of the "Spyderco Delica Damascus Titanium" you would expect they color-match the clip and don't just take a stock one. Well, for me the answer is clear Böker Tactical Roper :D

It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Salt or Delica?
Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 09:14:55 PM
You are kidding, right? A Boker Plus might compare to a Byrd knife, but certainly not to a Delica. Smiley face at the end. Yup, must have been a joke.

@Corwyn, if a PM2 is scaring the sheeple around you, an all black serrated edge knife will have them loosing bladder control in fear. Go for the Delica and make yourself a nice leather pocket sheath if you are concerned with scratching the Ti.

Heck, get a matching Ti flashlight and make the pocket sheath for both. That would be stylish. You can thank me now, or after your SO is done fuming.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 09:18:51 PM by 16VGTIDave »
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 09:55:20 PM
Salt BO serrated.  Awesome rust resistance. It also looks great with that BO blade--much better than the normal canary yellow scales with silver blade.   On my Ladybug Hawkbill, despite it being extremely small (less than 2") it's ripped through stuff folding hunting knives couldn't without trouble.   The serrated Spydercos are great--and razor sharp.

If a serrated blade is of use to you, I'd recommend the Tasman Salt too, which will likely be my next Spyderco.   It's quite a bit bigger than that tiny Ladybug.

Damascus looks great, but isn't exactly made for use. Most Damascus knives today are made for collectors.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 09:58:07 PM by cody6268 »

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 09:59:41 PM
I am not a fan of the BO coating on any knife or MT.  Just don't care for it.  I do like the Salt and Delica both and think they both are good EDC knives.  I also like the PM2 and like the only one I have with the cts-204p steel.

Delica_Salt1.jpg
* Delica_Salt1.jpg (Filesize: 343.4 KB)

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 10:35:17 PM
I've had my Salt I for eleven or so years now and it's a favorite for not ever having to worry about rust in my year 'round sweaty pockets.  But, if you like showing off a knife and having bragging rights for how cool it looks, the Damascus Delica is a looker(but you'll have to carry another knife to loan out when someone wants to borrow one, or you could risk watching them take that Damascus blade and start chopping at a cinder block, lol).  Get the Salt, the black oxide only looks cool until you actually start using the blade for cutting things other than tape to open boxes... ;)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 08:34:19 AM
You are kidding, right? A Boker Plus might compare to a Byrd knife, but certainly not to a Delica. Smiley face at the end. Yup, must have been a joke.
Yes, also price wise... which some might consider an advantage. Personally, I have not seen another knife this nice that only weights 60g.

Besides, the FRN on the Spydercos looks way cheaper than the whatevermaterial the Roper has.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 03:03:12 PM
 :facepalm:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #11 on: June 13, 2016, 05:55:57 PM
Nice!

Hope you enjoy it, I like mine a lot.
I just wish they made this one coated too...

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 12:04:08 PM
Update on this... After carrying it for a while I decided I don't like the Salt for 115 Euros (maybe for 25 Euros, but not for 115 Euros).
It had no point to punch through stuff, serrations were good at rope and cardboard but bad at everything else, it was 1/2 cm too short and my small finger was slipping and worst of all it just felt... cheap ... the black, the frn, the saber grind... it really didn't feel like a 115 Euro office edc knife... as such I took a hit, sold off my Salt 1, my Dragonfly ZDP189 and my Samsung S4mini phone and got this gem which is on its way to me:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 01:32:26 PM
What's that, a Delica 110 Damaskus?

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 02:27:34 PM
What's that, a Delica 110 Damaskus?

It's a C11JBO - Delica Damascus Sprint Run of 500 pieces with Honey Jigged Bone handles and Titanium bolsters.
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=701

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 09:14:05 PM
Update on this... After carrying it for a while I decided I don't like the Salt for 115 Euros (maybe for 25 Euros, but not for 115 Euros).
It had no point to punch through stuff, serrations were good at rope and cardboard but bad at everything else, it was 1/2 cm too short and my small finger was slipping and worst of all it just felt... cheap ... the black, the frn, the saber grind... it really didn't feel like a 115 Euro office edc knife... as such I took a hit, sold off my Salt 1, my Dragonfly ZDP189 and my Samsung S4mini phone and got this gem which is on its way to me:

(Image removed from quote.)
Gosh thats pretty in Red
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 09:16:41 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

:drool: :drool: :drool:
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31