Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

JB Weld

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
JB Weld
on: May 31, 2009, 01:23:45 AM
I've heard about this stuff but have never used it.  The gas tank on my old lawnmower has cracked and I'd like to seal it up with something...would this JB weld stuff work for that?

I assume the crack came from 20 years of vibrations since it formed around the nut that holds the gas tank to the engine...
[

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Re: JB Weld
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 01:27:04 AM
I've heard about this stuff but have never used it.  The gas tank on my old lawnmower has cracked and I'd like to seal it up with something...would this JB weld stuff work for that?

I assume the crack came from 20 years of vibrations since it formed around the nut that holds the gas tank to the engine...

It is great stuff, but I don't know if I would trust it for a gas tank.  :think:
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 01:30:57 AM
If it's worth fixing, I'd have the tank purged & welded properly.

I don't know anything about JB weld specifically, but I do know that the easy way out never works.

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 02:11:07 AM
I once fixed a Mac-11 with JB weld.
(

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 04:56:13 AM
JB Weld is great stuff but I don't know how it would fair on a gas tank :think: I agree with Nomad this time (believe it or not) :o :D

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 05:12:13 AM
JB Weld is awesome.  Best part about it is, if it doesn't work, it'll chip off again.  I would definitely give it a try before sending it off to the welder. (Metal tank? or Plastic?).  I've sealed leaking radiator lines and oil return lines with it.  Fixed a power brake master cylinder cover crack with it too.

I say give it a go.  :tu:

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 06:01:13 AM
in texas ive seen entire cars made out of jb weld :o
:like:    :MTO:

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 05:20:11 PM
JB Weld is awesome.  Best part about it is, if it doesn't work, it'll chip off again.  I would definitely give it a try before sending it off to the welder. (Metal tank? or Plastic?).  I've sealed leaking radiator lines and oil return lines with it.  Fixed a power brake master cylinder cover crack with it too.

It's a metal tank with a hairline crack.  I assumed I could buy a replacement tank online for a reasonable price...but I can't even find one!  It's an old Briggs and Stratton mower, and the oldest parts I can find are from 1994, while the mower I have is a few years older than that.  Sending it off to a welder isn't cost effective IMO...not for this old thing.

The good part is I get to work with this JB Weld stuff and know how it works..and if the fuel still leaks, I'll just get rid of the mower like I had originally planned! :D
[

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 04:44:10 AM

It's a metal tank with a hairline crack.  I assumed I could buy a replacement tank online for a reasonable price...but I can't even find one!  It's an old Briggs and Stratton mower, and the oldest parts I can find are from 1994, while the mower I have is a few years older than that.  Sending it off to a welder isn't cost effective IMO...not for this old thing.

The good part is I get to work with this JB Weld stuff and know how it works..and if the fuel still leaks, I'll just get rid of the mower like I had originally planned! :D

Well I for 1 hope it does work :tu: Cracks are usually easier to fix on things than complete breaks so maybe you will have good luck with the JB Weld :cheers:

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 04:54:03 AM
I have used JB Weld for similar repairs and it tends to work much more often than it doesn't
:)

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 07:06:51 PM
JB Weld would probably work, just sand and thoroughly clean the area around the crack to insure a good bond. According to JB Weld, you would want to use their Water Weld product for gas tanks.
http://jbweld.net/products/water.php

You might also want to look at a gas tank repair kit, like this:
http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/specialized_maintenance_repair/radiator_fuel_tank_repair/Permatex_Instant_Gas_Tank_Repair.htm

Mike

Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

00 Offline RaptorMan

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 03:35:07 AM
Used the stuff on my old '78 full size chevy fuel tank while i saved for a new one. Held up for at least a year before i finally got around to replacing it. Just prep it well and you should have no problems. This truck played in a lot of mud and sand and dint have a problem.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%