Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kind've bummed. (O.T.)

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Kind've bummed. (O.T.)
on: June 12, 2009, 01:41:03 AM
Well, I am a gator wrestler no more.  I was let go today.  It was a bittersweet moment to be honest with you guys, since I had been wanting to leave for a long time.  It was a job that was cool while I was young, and single.  However, 36 years old is pretty old for a gator wrestler.  The toll it took on my body was pretty bad (heat pads on my back at home, ice packs on my knees, icy hot every where else) and I have a daughter now that I would like to play with.  So, in a way they did me a favor.  They also gave me 6 weeks severance pay, and insurance til the end of the month, which is pretty cool.  They let me go out with my head up, and for that I am grateful.  However, it is still a tough pill to swallow, you know?  Now I have to find something to do with the rest of my life.  After being a gator wrestler for so many years, where does one go from there?  What tops that?

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Re: Kind've bummed. (O.T.)
Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 01:54:50 AM
Leaving a long term job like that shakes things up a bit in life, but that isn't to say it's a bad thing.  Professional Gator Wrestler will be a great ice breaker during interviews though :tu: 
[

Offline Tinnie

• No Life Club
  • I hate Velcro!
Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 02:18:28 AM
Leaving a long term job like that shakes things up a bit in life, but that isn't to say it's a bad thing.  Professional Gator Wrestler will be a great ice breaker during interviews though :tu: 

+1

You would get a job instantly in Australia if you said you were a Gator Wrestler!
[

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 02:26:35 AM
Sorry to hear that mate.  I've been made redundant a couple of times myself and it's never fun.  Best of luck in finding something new.  :salute:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 05:37:28 AM
Ouch, that hurts. Getting let go isn't good for the ego. :( Although at least you got severance and insurance, which would not have happened had you quit)

So what next? :think: Do you enjoy working with animals? Maybe try to get a job over at Animal Kingdom?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 05:40:28 AM
Hey Johnny, sorry to hear that they let you go.  On a positive note, you'll get to spend more time with your daughter now plus you were able to leave Gatorland with all your limbs intact.  :tu:
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 06:21:54 AM
You have a great attitude about this....keep your chin up.  I think the way your handling this sets a great example for your child.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 07:16:27 AM
Sorry to hear about this LatinoHeat. I hope for the best for you. Keep a positive attitude and like you said your family is always there for you. That's a really good thing.
"

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 07:26:02 AM
Sorry to hear that mate, it must have been a bitter pill to swallow :(

But like you say, you've other priorities now, so best of luck in the future mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 08:06:21 AM
sounds really sad man :(, i dont know what i would do other than the work i love...but thinking about your daughter is never a bad call im sure she´ll thank you when she realize what youve done for her, kids need their parents with them :tu:
A

Offline JohnD

Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 09:08:26 AM
Sorry to hear that pal.  :(
"

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 10:17:34 AM
The uncertainty is scary but it not always a bad thing.  Last time it happened to me (laid off, not the end of gator wrestling ;) ) I was back in employment within a fortnight in a much better job on considerably more money. 

So stay positive and keep us posted  :tu:
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 12:11:50 PM
If you are starting to feel the aches and pains, it might be time to change careers anyhow. Maybe something related but easier on the body, or time for a whole change. If you can, take some time off and consider your options.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 12:46:51 PM
That proper blows.  :(

Hope you find your feet again soon.
I'm back!!

us Offline LatinoHeat

Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 02:46:57 PM
Thanx for the kind words, guys.  Yeah, it was a bit of a blow to the ego, since I would have rather have been the one to retire on my own terms, instead of having them do it for me.  However, as I said, I was contemplating leaving anyway.  I think I have wrestled my last gator.  It takes a certain mind frame to do what I did, and I am out of it for a period of time, I'm not sure I can go back to doing that again.  I am older, and wiser, and after being bit a number of times, I think this old man is ready for something else.  LOL. 
I used to teach martial arts.  I am thinking about making a career out of that.  I also have my Doggy Guru dog training business I can go back to.  I also now have time to write my memoirs of a gator wrestler (the next number one best seller, mind you.  LOL.).  I have a few options.  As some of you have said, this may not be a bad thing.  It will probably turn out to be a blessing in disguise.  Things don't always work out the way you WANT them to, but they usually work out the way they should.   

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
  • Where is all that water coming from?!
Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009, 03:32:49 PM
Thanx for the kind words, guys.  Yeah, it was a bit of a blow to the ego, since I would have rather have been the one to retire on my own terms, instead of having them do it for me.  However, as I said, I was contemplating leaving anyway.  I think I have wrestled my last gator.  It takes a certain mind frame to do what I did, and I am out of it for a period of time, I'm not sure I can go back to doing that again.  I am older, and wiser, and after being bit a number of times, I think this old man is ready for something else.  LOL. 
I used to teach martial arts.  I am thinking about making a career out of that.  I also have my Doggy Guru dog training business I can go back to.  I also now have time to write my memoirs of a gator wrestler (the next number one best seller, mind you.  LOL.).  I have a few options.  As some of you have said, this may not be a bad thing.  It will probably turn out to be a blessing in disguise.  Things don't always work out the way you WANT them to, but they usually work out the way they should.   

Very zen of you! I'm sure you will land on your feet. Well, at least you still got them, which is is a bonus in your line of work, I guess  :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: June 12, 2009, 06:49:34 PM

I'd buy it.  :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 12, 2009, 07:34:39 PM

I'd buy it.  :tu:

Me too :D Sounds like you've got a lot of exciting options (that don't involved getting bitten by a Gator :o). Best of luck with whatever you decide to do next :tu:.
Prone to daydreaming.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #18 on: June 12, 2009, 07:38:44 PM
Johnny, that's indeed bittersweet news.  While being retired isn't the same as retiring, it's better that management retired you and not Chester or one of the others.  I'm looking at retiring from the bar for the same reasons- better to walk away while you still can, and leave these jobs to the younger ones who won't blow their paychecks in Aspirin and ice packs!  Getting old sucks, and it's much worse when you start feeling it at our age!

If your memoirs see print, make sure to reserve a number of copies for the members here- and make sure to sign mine!  :D

I also have to say, on a completely selfish note, it was great to get a chance to see you perform- it was a great show and I'm glad I got some video of it.  I just wish I'd had the brains to bring my video camera that day and get more footage rather than relying on my Kodak for everything.

Good luck to you in th4 future... although I doubt you'll need our well wishes.  You are too damned good to stay down for long!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #19 on: June 12, 2009, 10:29:06 PM
Dude, it's a PITA and an obviously unexpected blow, but you seem to already have some great ideas for the future and also, you're being philosophical about it - 2 things that a lot of people would find really hard to do  :tu:

You seem like the kind of guy who believes things happen for a reason and have the cahonas to go with it... looking forward to hearing what you choose to do next  :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
Reply #20 on: June 13, 2009, 01:05:18 AM
  Yeah, it was a bit of a blow to the ego 

In this economy, it's happening all over the place.  There is no shame in leaving a job.

Use this as an opportunity to find a new niche, maybe one a little less dangerous.
:)

us Offline LatinoHeat

Reply #21 on: June 13, 2009, 01:42:43 AM
  Yeah, it was a bit of a blow to the ego 

In this economy, it's happening all over the place.  There is no shame in leaving a job.

Use this as an opportunity to find a new niche, maybe one a little less dangerous.

LOL.  Amen to that, brother.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: June 13, 2009, 03:46:17 AM
Sorry to hear the news Johnny :-\ I wish you well on the new career hunting :cheers: I am sure you will find something even better man :)

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #23 on: June 13, 2009, 12:12:15 PM
God never closes a door with out opening a window, yes its true its harder to climb into a window but the rewards are bigger........ case in point, when you where young where do you climb to sneak into your girlfriends room :D >:D :D
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

us Offline nelly1974

• No Life Club
  • Pitbulls are people too
Reply #24 on: June 13, 2009, 03:57:14 PM
Keep your head up my friend. Anyone one who can wrestle alligators can, out of shear strength of will, accomplish anything they set their hearts on. and i agree with previous post on GOD not closing a door without opening a window, although maybe his final comparison is a bit off. :D
[

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: June 13, 2009, 11:44:44 PM
Keep your head up my friend. Anyone one who can wrestle alligators can, out of shear strength of will, accomplish anything they set their hearts on. and i agree with previous post on GOD not closing a door without opening a window, although maybe his final comparison is a bit off. :D

Sorry mate I'm a little bit tipsy when I wrote that  :D
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: June 14, 2009, 12:18:09 AM

Sorry mate I'm a little bit tipsy when I wrote that  :D

Have another  :drink:  made me laugh :D
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: June 14, 2009, 01:09:27 AM
God never closes a door with out opening a window, yes its true its harder to climb into a window but the rewards are bigger........ case in point, when you where young where do you climb to sneak into your girlfriends room :D >:D :D

ROFLMAO :rofl:
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #28 on: June 14, 2009, 01:59:48 AM
Wha?  Noooooo!!!  Now I can't brag to all the chicks that I know a guy that wrestles gators!

Seriously though, sorry to hear the news man.  Hopefully it does turn out to be a blessing in disguise.  Save me a copy of your book if you write it, and make sure Grant and I are in it!!!  (feel free to embellish our story a bit... maybe make Grant a rich entrepreneur and me about 50lbs lighter :P)
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: June 14, 2009, 02:36:36 AM
on a lighter note, you could have a career on professional wrestling you already have a stage name "Gatorminator" :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%