Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How to know the manufacturing date and serial number of your Leatherman

entaro · 10 · 58844

Offline entaro

Hello mates, just curious, is there such a way to know the manufacturing date of Leathermans?

- Recently got a new Wave model and I could see a "0707" mark from inside of the handles.  What does this mean?
- A friend mo mine have an old model PST.  He said "genuine" Leatherman's have serial numbers in them (like that of his PST).  How true is this? I believe my Wave doesn't have a serial number.

Many thanks!
C

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Hello mates, just curious, is there such a way to know the manufacturing date of Leathermans?

- Recently got a new Wave model and I could see a "0707" mark from inside of the handles.  What does this mean?
- A friend mo mine have an old model PST.  He said "genuine" Leatherman's have serial numbers in them (like that of his PST).  How true is this? I believe my Wave doesn't have a serial number.

Many thanks!
0707  means made July   of 2007.     Your friends PST might have a patent # on it but have'nt seen any with serial numbers.
Dennis

Offline entaro

0707  means made July   of 2007.     Your friends PST might have a patent # on it but have'nt seen any with serial numbers.

Cool! I already have a 2 year old Leatherman :)

I'll tell my friend that his PST has a patent number on it and not a serial number.  Thanks for the input mate!  :cheers:
C

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence

Cool! I already have a 2 year old Leatherman :)

I'll tell my friend that his PST has a patent number on it and not a serial number.  Thanks for the input mate!  :cheers:

Your friends pst may have the dates stamped on the inside of his handles unless its an early one , which have no dates .

dunc

Offline josekym

In addition, I think that serial numbers are only for "special-run" tools (i.e. Damascus Wave, Anniversary Wave, etc.).  Maybe your friend was mistaking the Patent Number as a serial number?  I remember my old PST had these markings on the handles before...  :)

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
I'd bet that the number on the PST (as has been said already) will either be the US Patent number, or the registered TM number, both of which have been stamped on PSTs over the years at various times.

If the tool has no datecodes in the handles, that would indicate that it was made prior to 1992, but there are other characteristics that can help us to narrow it down a bit. This thread tells you loads about dating your PST, but if you post some pictures on here, I'm sure people will help you if they can.

I used to come here a lot.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
if you post some pictures on here, I'm sure people will help you if they can.

If I can help I will as well :)

Offline entaro

Thanks for the thread DaveK!

I will try to get pictures of my friend's PST once I get in touch with him. :)
C

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Thanks for the thread DaveK!

I will try to get pictures of my friend's PST once I get in touch with him. :)

That is 1 awesome thread :D

us Offline Dsorgnzd

Thanks for the information! I had no idea there was a date code, but there on the inside of my PST is "1096" on both handles.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $160.46
PayPal Fees: $9.45
Net Balance: $151.01
Below Goal: $148.99
Site Currency: USD
50%