Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Suggestions for a bag

Offline toothrot

• What pants?
Suggestions for a bag
on: July 20, 2009, 03:32:49 AM
I've been thinking on this maratac bag from countycomm (as i may be placing an order there soon)
but they're out of the color i want:

What bag do you carry and why?

Also if you're so inclined to let us know where you bought it and for how much that would be helpful..

EDIT: This bag sells for $39.99 normally and the coyote brown version was on sale for $29 before it sold out (the other colors are on sale for $33, only black is in stock)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 04:16:11 AM by toothrot »

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Suggestions for a bag
Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 03:43:40 AM
Right now, I'm only using my Columbia Sportswear rucksack; it's probably close to two years old, completely tacticoolless/typical urban rucksack.  When new, it probably cost around $50 or so, knowing that I probably purchased it in Walmart, Target, or Office Max; no, it's not Countycomm or Maxpedition, but it's the first bag that I've owned that has lasted over a year, and shows absolutely no signs of wear, whatsoever.  While I don't know the model of it, I do know that I can't find it on their website, so it must be discontinued. :/

Anyway, I alternate between that and a Rothco Classic messenger bag, depending on what I need for the day.  I purchased mine from Amazon for... twenty dollars, maybe?  I can't really remember. :/

It's quality is good, and I purchased it over other messenger bags for the water bottle pockets on either side; a closed one works wonders for holding an umbrella in place. ^^;

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 03:56:05 AM
I bought the Countycomm EOD bag a while back and bring it to and from work every day...sturdy bag and lots of attachment points if you want to add on.  And it's cheap!
[

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 04:13:23 AM
My current bag is my Victorinox Oxford Laptop backpack.  I've had it for 6 years now and its help up better than any other bag I have ever carried.  I've used it backpacking around Montreal, hiking, school, work, and now it is my sons diaper bag. It has been discontinued for some time but they will sometimes show up on ebags.com, or irvs.com.

Offline ecfiffer

Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 04:18:01 AM
i have a maxpud jumbo in orange/foliage.  its so a man purse.. i love it though.  my wifers gives me hell but when she needs something i usually got it.  it doubles as a diaper bag too (yes my lil girl is still in them, hopefully not for too much longer :cheers: :cheers:)  i stash the diapers in the back where you'd stash your hand gun.  yeah i'm packin  just wipes and diapers  :D :D  it works for me as i care more then what i need in a day, i live and die by that damn thing.  and for work i have a lil medic bag with all my data/com tools i own in it that i have on the one side.  

i'd vote for a maxpud, but it really is what you want/need.  

eric
'

Offline Tinnie

• No Life Club
  • I hate Velcro!
Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 04:45:33 AM
Why do people call it maxpud?

I have two Jumbo's one in ACU and Khaki :)

Good bag :tu:
[

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 04:56:01 AM
I've been thinking on this maratac bag from countycomm (as i may be placing an order there soon)
but they're out of the color i want:

(Image removed from quote.)

What bag do you carry and why?

Also if you're so inclined to let us know where you bought it and for how much that would be helpful..

EDIT: This bag sells for $39.99 normally and the coyote brown version was on sale for $29 before it sold out (the other colors are on sale for $33, only black is in stock)
I got one from there and I love it but I recall the exact bag selling for cheaper at cheaperthandirt.

Offline toothrot

• What pants?
Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 05:19:18 AM
I got one from there and I love it but I recall the exact bag selling for cheaper at cheaperthandirt.

Right on, I don't think that it's the same manf. but it is almost an identical bag...

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=BAG-222

Thanks! I don't think I can beat that price.

EDIT: The CC one looks like it is slightly better quality. Maybe not though, it might just be the pictures
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 06:21:53 AM by toothrot »

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 06:29:05 AM
MaxPat Pigmy 2 and it's a great rucksack :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 09:02:32 AM
I have quite some bags, depending on my needs for the task.

Today, and for about a month now, I carry my new Urban Tools SlotBaron bag. It fits my Macbook in a Crumpler Gimp sleeve (double protection) and some papers in the main pocket, and has 5 flexible organizer pockets on the front that organize my EDC. So there´s a pocket for my iPhone, one that fits my tools (Vic Spirit in Sheath and Vic Rucksack), one for my wallet and ID...
Some pen loops, a carabiner on the front and a large zippered pocket on the back complete the bag. It´s made of Neoprene like fabric, sturdy flexible and soft. Nice bag, extra light weight but expensive. Love it for summer duty but for it will not fit a Jacket or Hoodie it is not an all-season EDC.

My winter season and travel bag is a Crumpler, New York Warehouse. That beast is just crazy huge! It fits everything and more, large enough to pack clothes for a week of travel. I like it, but for there is no real laptop pocket I´ll have to mod it so the laptop is not laying flat on the ground of the bag, that´s uncomfortable to carry. And some more pockets or dividers would be nice too. Guess I´ll put some velcro in there, and use pouches to organize my stuff.

My smaller EDC bag (compared to the New York Warehouse) is a Crumpler Super Boomer. It fits the laptop, cables and stuff, my tools and everything else, but not much more. A thin jacket has to be stuffed in, and it´s definitely no shopping bag. I miss pen loops, love them. But overall, a nice bag.

A Dakine Campus backbag is my only EDC backbag. Nice, featuring a pretty nice (but too small) organizer section with pen loops, a neoprene line iPhone or iPod pocket, some mre pockets and a zipper pouch. There are more pockets inside, a laptop sleeve and one more pocket. And, on the front side, there are a cooling compartment, isolated to keep cans or small bottles cold a while, and a soft lined glasses pocket. Great backbag, but hardly ever use it for I prefer messenger bags.

You see, quite some bags, but none is perfect. Guess I´ll never find the perfec bag. I like them all, and think if I add some pouches (Maxpedition EDC organizer?) to the NYW it will be pretty close to perfect, a little too big and heavy maybe. I do not like Maxpedition bags, they look too "tactical" for my taste, but I guess the Organizer is great.

Have fun finding a bag, and believe me: Bags can be as addictive as knives and tools!
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 11:54:55 AM
My EDC bag is a Maxpedition Remora GearSlinger.  Fit's me perfectly  :tu:
I'm back!!

us Offline STik

• Have tool, will travel...
Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 04:18:57 PM
Since I don't carry any truly large items on me, but I have a lot of little things for EDC, I started rockin' a Maxpedition Colossus with a 10x4 bottle holder on one side, an FR-1 med pouch on the other, and a LM molle sheath and Mxpdtn Anenome for extra batts.  It's bulky, it's kinda heavy, and it looks strange, but that's fits me just fine, and I love it. 

STik
S

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $81.95
PayPal Fees: $4.26
Net Balance: $77.69
Below Goal: $222.31