Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Review: Thunderbird Butane insert

Offline Nutznboltz

Review: Thunderbird Butane insert
on: September 10, 2009, 04:53:40 PM
Since there has been some interest recently in the Thunderbird butane inserts here is a short photo review.

The Thunderbird American Vintage insert made by Vector/KGM Industries specifically for their Thunderbird series of windproof lighters is a quality product with superb fit and finish, and back by a limited lifetime warranty.  Most importantly is just happens to fit Zippo cases perfectly.

The white polymer housing is completely sealed eliminating any chance of leakage, but the somewhat translucent plastic does make visually checking the fluid level difficult.  You need to hold it up to an extremely bright light.

The base of the insert is just like any other refillable butane lighter - with a refill nozzle and flame adjustment screw.  There is also a flint tube similar to the original Zippo inserts for easy flint replacement. 

Flow of the butane is accomplished with the cam arm which not only keeps the lid of the ligther from flopping around but in this case also acts as the actuator.  In the closed position it pushes down on the spring lever shuting off the flow.  Once the lighter is open the flow starts.  This could be a problem if you like to play with your Zippo, constantly opening and closing it.  Which would increase the need to refill it.

The Thunderbird insert is the same size as an original Zippo insert but the finish is much nicer.  The chimney is chrome plated and the material quite thick compared to the standard insert, giving it a more robust feel

The flame is slightly off center due to the positioning of the nozzle which is placed closer to the flint wheel for a positive ignition everytime.

The Thunderbird insert fits quite snugly in the standard Zippo cases (not sure about the Armor case) which is a good thing as with some Zippo's the original inserts get loose and tend to ride up everytime you open the lighter.

In summary this is a well made butane insert and a perfect upgrade to any Zippo, especially vintage or sentimental Zippo's you want to keep.  It maintains the look and feel of a traditional Zippo but eliminates the hassle and mess of a weekly lighter fluid fill up and butane is odourless.  Although for die hard Zippo fans thats the whole point of a Zippo and switching to butane just takes away from the experience of owning an American icon.
If your looking for a soft flame butane insert, the Thunderbird by Vector is the one for you.

PROS:
well made with lifetime warranty
fits Zippo's perfectly
butane - odourless, lasts longer
leakproof housing
easy upgrade to any Zippo

CONS:
white fluid tank makes seeing butane level difficult

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: Review: Thunderbird Butane insert
Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 04:57:19 PM
Alright,  that right there is really cool!  I'd definitely consider that upgrade  :tu:

Thanks for the pics and review!

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 05:23:14 PM
Indeed, excellent review, Nutz. :)  Now to find someone that would like a Z-Plus insert for one of those. XD

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 05:32:27 PM
Very nice review and pics.  Thanks Nutz.  :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline Dizos

Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 06:02:03 PM
Excellent. Thank you for the great review. 

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 06:12:09 PM
Great work buddy.  :tu:
I'm back!!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 07:01:10 PM
Great review mate, thanks :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 06:51:03 AM
Awesome photos and review, Nutz.  Even though Vector isn't as well known as the other big lighter companies, they still make some awesome lighters and they really hit a homerun with the Thunderbird.  I also love their triple flame torch lighters.
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

Offline Tinnie

• No Life Club
  • I hate Velcro!
Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 09:07:50 AM
Nice review :)

I really need to get one of these...just don't know where :-\
[

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 07:28:40 PM
Not many around it seems.... my google-fu is not great today!

I want something for a slimline one but it makes me feel a bit dirty to replace the petrol works  >:D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 09:41:36 PM

Offline chrisking66

• New User
Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 03:51:07 PM
i wouldnt borther getting one of these get a z-plus instend or another brand of insert,

i got one of these about 3 weeks ago, and the gas inlet is all-ready leaking gas back in to the case (slowly but makes a nice fireball when use the lighter after the case has been cased *building up gas* for 30 mins or so),

and they life time warreny is of no real use to anyone more so anyone outside the usa

"1.  All warranty repairs must be accompanied by a dated sales receipt.
2. Clearly print name, address, and telephone number for us to send serviced lighters back to the correct person and address.
3. Enclose lighter(s) in a properly padded envelope or ask a Vector retail dealer for a service envelope.
4. Send lighter(s), return address, dated sales receipt, and $7 for US consumers & $15 for international consumers for shipping and handling all into one padded envelope to:

KGM Industries Co., Inc.,
        C/O Service Dept.
        6016 Triangle Dr.,
        Commerce, CA 90040

5. Insure package with carrier for possible loss during transit. KGM will not be liable for any lighters lost in transit."

you can get a new insert for what they want you to pay for return shipping not to add your shipping cost to send it there in the frist place

Offline Blackout

Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 08:08:09 PM
I have the Thunderbird and the Z-Plus.The Thunderbird has been sent back once
for warranty.The flint holder tube came out and the flame would get bigger and bigger.
When I got the Thunderbird back the flint tube was fixed but the huge flame was not.
I have been using the Z-plus for over two years with no failures.
"

Offline Dizos

Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 07:00:24 AM
The point of the Thunderbird is that it is not a torch lighter.  I agree the Z-plus is nice (at lower elevations) but there is no butane alternative to the Thunderbird if you want a soft flame.  Shame to hear that there are some quality issues, mine has worked fine so far but I do not use it that much - I have gone through one flint.

Offline hansda10

• New User
Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 10:51:56 PM
i know this is pretty late...but i only discovered this site a few hours ago...are these thunderbird lighter inserts available on websites such as ebay or flipkart.com?? i live in Calcutta, India..and i'm not too sure about ordering stuff from overseas..

my email: hansda10@gmail.com

kindly let me know if anybody sees this :P

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 05:13:12 AM
i know this is pretty late...but i only discovered this site a few hours ago...are these thunderbird lighter inserts available on websites such as ebay or flipkart.com?? i live in Calcutta, India..and i'm not too sure about ordering stuff from overseas..

Thunderbird butane inserts are sold through http://amazon.com but I don't know if you can get them shipped outside the USA.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 08:42:17 PM

There are some on eBay but for some reason the price of shipping to India is $40+ :ahhh

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%