Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Piranha

Nikos · 69 · 10233

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Piranha
on: November 30, 2009, 08:36:05 PM
Ummm... guys, anyone knows anything about this? :pok:

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Re: Piranha
Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 08:40:28 PM
Looks like the ultimate Peter Atwood ripoff!!  ::)  With that being said, it's very fricking cool!   :D
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 08:54:40 PM
A new one on me, and it looks great, but it's a little bit similar to certain other pocket tool manufacturer's products isn't it?

EDIT: Haha - I took a phone call and GG nipped in and beat me to it :D

I used to come here a lot.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 08:56:57 PM
I have one on my keychain.  Mine is made of titanium.  It is an awesome Mighty Mouse.  Best bottle opener I have.  Works well for prying too.  The wedge tips also function quite well as flat drivers.  

I wish mine were steel however, because it's starting to show marks where I've used it on very tight screws.  It still functions perfectly, but it mars more easily than steel.

I'm keeping an eye on JDRTool for a steel one...

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 08:48:51 AM
I have one on my keychain.  Mine is made of titanium.  It is an awesome Mighty Mouse.  Best bottle opener I have.  Works well for prying too.  The wedge tips also function quite well as flat drivers.  

I wish mine were steel however, because it's starting to show marks where I've used it on very tight screws.  It still functions perfectly, but it mars more easily than steel.

I think you missed the topic of this thread completely... try clicking the link on the original post please. :D

That being dealt with... it looks decent! Still can't afford that so-called "affordable price point" though. :rofl:
Got those frog legs.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 09:18:55 AM
One of the comments warns that the domain isn't sorted and sending money for a pre-order might be a bit dodgy  :-\

Otherwise, yeah, it's a great looking tool at a more sensible price. Seems to have a serious amount of function crammed in to a small space.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 09:21:49 AM
Oh.... imperial only  >:(

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 12:56:19 PM

I think you missed the topic of this thread completely... try clicking the link on the original post please. :D

That being dealt with... it looks decent! Still can't afford that so-called "affordable price point" though. :rofl:

Doh!  :doh:

I figured it hadda be the JDR tool of the same name! Cool chunk of steel...Hope it makes it into production...

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 05:06:46 PM
I sent the company an email stating how unhappy I was that they ripped Peter Atwood off and this was their response:

Hi John,

I am sorry to hear of your criticism before even using our tool!  Who did Peter Atwood use to inspire his tools?  He was not the first nor do we claim to be!  Our tool is designed, manufactured, and stress tested to strict military and aerospace criteria (and by licensed professional engineers) unlike Atwoods!  It also features a superior method of driver bit storage -- no o-rings!  We do not restrict batch quantities and do not aim at the collector market.  Peter Atwood makes a fine tool, and we respect that.  Thanks for your inquiry!

Best Regards,

Justin
MK7 Designs

Ps. We weren't aware of JDR's product name prior to launching, but on closer inspection it appears that it is in fact a "Pryranha" anyways.

Any doubt they didn't know who Peter Atwood or JDR Knife & Tool were??  ::)  >:(  I dodn't see how anyone would want to support a company that is a hack and a fake!!!  >:( >:(

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 05:19:57 PM
MK7 Designs are they based in China by any chance?  :D

00 Offline RaptorMan

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 03:46:44 AM
I sent the company an email stating how unhappy I was that they ripped Peter Atwood off and this was their response:

Hi John,

I am sorry to hear of your criticism before even using our tool!  Who did Peter Atwood use to inspire his tools?  He was not the first nor do we claim to be!  Our tool is designed, manufactured, and stress tested to strict military and aerospace criteria (and by licensed professional engineers) unlike Atwoods!  It also features a superior method of driver bit storage -- no o-rings!  We do not restrict batch quantities and do not aim at the collector market.  Peter Atwood makes a fine tool, and we respect that.  Thanks for your inquiry!

Best Regards,

Justin
MK7 Designs

Ps. We weren't aware of JDR's product name prior to launching, but on closer inspection it appears that it is in fact a "Pryranha" anyways.

Any doubt they didn't know who Peter Atwood or JDR Knife & Tool were??  ::)  >:(  I dodn't see how anyone would want to support a company that is a hack and a fake!!!  >:( >:(

I am not sure why you would say its a rip off? The company does have a point, whether they heard of either other company or not they have the right to compete in a growing market. If there wasnt such a thing we would all wear the same clothes eat the same foods and drive the same cars. I for one am interested in this tool and look forward to it coming out.

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 04:17:51 AM

Hi John,

Best Regards,

Justin
MK7 Designs

I am not sure why you would say its a rip off? The company does have a point, whether they heard of either other company or not they have the right to compete in a growing market. If there wasnt such a thing we would all wear the same clothes eat the same foods and drive the same cars. I for one am interested in this tool and look forward to it coming out.

You can look at the tool and not see an Atwood?  ::)  They are counting on guys like you to buy their products. I guess we simply live in a world where stealing is ok and nobody cares. I guess my time has passed and I need to live in the new world. I don't like it, but that's just the way it is. I'm tired of fighting for what is right. Nobody else cares, why should I???  :ahhh

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 08:57:26 AM
Hmmm... They do have some valid points in their reply. :-\

Although the tools looks A LOT like a crawdaddy/atwrench hybrid, I doubt that Peter was the first to create one-piece tools etc. I mean, BCB was selling one-piece credit card tools at least a couple decades before Peter came out with his, and that tool had a lot of the functionality of modern Atwoods (and there were others predating that as well). They actually didn't say that they ignored Peter's work; what I get from their reply is that they were inspired by it, just like Peter was inspired by someone else's work, and just like others (probably including JDR) were inspired by his. I even buy the fact that they weren't aware of JDR's Pryranha, as (imho) JDR is not yet as widely known as Atwood (and they do note that the name is "Pryranha" and not "Piranha"). The "superior method of driver bit storage" and the stress test and licensed personnel do seem a bit gimmicky though. :) Thanks for the input John; it was actually you I wanted to hear from. :tu:

Now...

<rant on>
I still think it's way overpriced tbh. Why, oh why, do they (and I mean all of them high-end manufacturers) have to make these things in titanium and S30V and damascus and other exotic materials and drive the price so high when these are supposed to be TOOLS? :rant: I mean, what's wrong with plain-old stainless or high-carbon and tool steels? I don't own any Atwoods or JDRs etc and don't plan to before the day they sell for under $30 a piece; till then I'll resort to the similarly priced but much more versatile (imho) traditional MTs and SAKs. ;)
<rant off>

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 09:43:40 AM
All you have to do is do a google image search of an alligator wrench to see that Peter didn't invent that portion of the tool. Those things have been around for years. It's the bit driver that seems to be copied from Peters tools. I like the look of this tool. Just as I like the look of Peters tools.   
"

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 10:52:17 AM
You can look at the tool and not see an Atwood?  ::)  They are counting on guys like you to buy their products. I guess we simply live in a world where stealing is ok and nobody cares. I guess my time has passed and I need to live in the new world. I don't like it, but that's just the way it is. I'm tired of fighting for what is right. Nobody else cares, why should I???  :ahhh

It's always been up to the consumers to buy what they think is right. ::)

Patents exist for this purpose too, but they protect specific concepts and then only for a short time to allow for improvement and progress. They never protected larger ideas so as not to stagnate the market, allowing competition that should lower prices and possibly improve on quality.

I'm pretty sure open and closed wrenches, bottle openers, and all functions included on the tool are long past open for everyone to use. As for a slit to hold a bit... well, it's not like he's parading it as his brainchild anyway...

It's not like Atwood will go out of business. Those buying his products will probably still be buying his products years from now... It just means some other folk will have useful tools they wouldn't otherwise have. Frankly I don't know why you bring age into it as this is always how things have been run in this country... :P

Trying to sound unoffensive here, tell me if it worked. XD
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 10:54:23 AM by Freudian Frog »
Got those frog legs.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #15 on: December 02, 2009, 10:56:38 AM
"Originality is the art of concealing your sources"
                                       - Benjamin Franklin

Not working very well for the Piranha, huh..  ::)  ::)

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: December 02, 2009, 10:58:59 AM
                                       - Benjamin Franklin

Don't think they claim originality. :D ;)
Got those frog legs.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #17 on: December 02, 2009, 11:12:20 AM
                                       - Benjamin Franklin

Don't think they claim originality. :D ;)
Ohh sorry, but they do have "a superior method of driver bit storage"..  ::) :P

00 Offline RaptorMan

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: December 02, 2009, 03:07:51 PM

Hi John,

Best Regards,

Justin
MK7 Designs

You can look at the tool and not see an Atwood?  ::)  They are counting on guys like you to buy their products. I guess we simply live in a world where stealing is ok and nobody cares. I guess my time has passed and I need to live in the new world. I don't like it, but that's just the way it is. I'm tired of fighting for what is right. Nobody else cares, why should I???  :ahhh

So what your saying is I should go buy an old black and white TV because that was the first to come out and someone shouldnt have improved it or "made it a little different".  Your logic for not wanting them to make it doesnt make sense however I do respect your opnion and if you choose not to get one that is your choice, however like I said I am interested in this piece and look forward to it coming out.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #19 on: December 02, 2009, 03:47:02 PM
Gentlemen, some of us have strong feelings on this matter, so let's try to keep it civil and not fly of the handle or get offensive.  The simple fact is that like anything else, love it or hate it, Atwood's designs are out of the box now, and free for interpretation from just about any source.  You can like it, you can hate it, but like the sun coming up tomorrow, it's a fact.

And, each of us has the right to make a choice to buy or not buy whatever we want, based on our own preferences.  To dictate what someone should or shouldn't buy is as welcome as someone dictating to you what you should and shouldn't buy.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: December 02, 2009, 04:38:08 PM

« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 05:11:53 PM by Gadget Guy »

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: December 02, 2009, 04:45:17 PM
Well, it's clear to me, one is a fish, the other a crustacean.   ::)

Geeze!

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #22 on: December 02, 2009, 04:51:50 PM

Similar....yet different....
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: December 02, 2009, 04:54:41 PM

Offline Precise

• I can haz multitoolz nowz?
Reply #24 on: December 02, 2009, 05:37:01 PM
Hey, maby we could get a special run of these with MTO stamped on em? :D

Wheres the nail puller on this thing? And how does it hold the bit in place? I'm curious. I emailed them and asked. Told them they should make a video of this thing in action as I'm confusaled on how some things are supposed to work.

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: December 02, 2009, 05:42:37 PM
Hey, maby we could get a special run of these with MTO stamped on em? :D

Wheres the nail puller on this thing? And how does it hold the bit in place? I'm curious. I emailed them and asked. Told them they should make a video of this thing in action as I'm confusaled on how some things are supposed to work.

Could it be a magnet that holds the bit in place :think:

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: December 02, 2009, 06:32:11 PM
If it was metric I'd definitely be interested. I have never been in to Atwoods because of the expense. They are indeed great pieces and obviously collectable but for me I'd want a functional tool which wasn't overpriced due to it's collectability factor. I don't really keep anything in the drawer queen category either so I guess they never appealed to me for that reason.

I wear Seiko watches mostly, not Rolexs or Brietlings etc, but that's not just because they are out of my sensible spending limits, it's because I think having a lower cost, ubiquitous item is absolutely fine, especially if it does the job just as well.

Horses for courses eh? Buyers decide these things ultimately  :)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #27 on: December 02, 2009, 06:43:23 PM
OK, I must comment here as the "Atwoods are too expensive comment" is a pet peave of mine.  :D

Atwoods are only expensive amoungst the collectors, they aren't actually expensive from Peter himself.  This tool for example is listed as being up for $50.  That could get you quite a few Atwood tools (obviously not the fancy pants ones) if you are just quick enough to get them. 

Peter charges I belive good prices for what he makes.  It is only due to the limited number he does that the prices rise up.
I'm back!!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: December 02, 2009, 06:58:00 PM
As someone who got bitten by the Atwood bug and stumbled into the deep part of the pond for a bit, IMO,

Yes, you can get into seriously expensive tchotchkes pretty easily.

However, if you stick to Peter's Blog (and maybe even email him directly, he's a very nice guy), you can get his functional basic tools for a very reasonable price.

I look at my Wildcard and Atwrench and I am amazed at how handy they are.  Much easier to reach for quick use and their tools are extremely high quality.  Deceptively good.

Offline Precise

• I can haz multitoolz nowz?
Reply #29 on: December 02, 2009, 07:22:17 PM
Man, they are quite responsive. Less than a couple hours after sending the email I got this.
Hello Joshua,

The bit is held into the tool with a piece of military spec neoprene rubber which interlocks into the steel frame of the tool.  It is quite secure.  We use the pry tips of the tool to lift the head of a nail and then insert the head of the nail into the slot for added leverage when needed.  A YouTube video would be a great idea!  Thank you for your feedback!

Happy Holidays,

D.J.
The MK7 Design Team

And as far as this whole Atwood thing goes. I'd love a G3 prybaby. I watch the blog constantly trying to get one. Haven't got one. I am going to get this though.

Is that going to keep me from buying a G3 from Peter if I get the chance? Nope.

I want all multitools. Every. Single. One.
'Nuff said.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD