Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

MTech Chopper Multitool

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
MTech Chopper Multitool
on: December 27, 2009, 04:24:14 AM
I will do a proper review but i am waiting for my 5 OH-GAK to show up from germany (they are already a week late  :-\) so i can use one for comparison Shot) I got 3, was going to give one to dad, but end up selling the other 2 on ebay

PRO's
-Thick 'Dundee' Lockback blade
- Good minimalist set up
- Knife with pliers, Not Pliers with knife.
-Inexpensive at under $20

CON'S
-Wire cutters unsuprisingly dont
- Silly oversized teeth on serration after photos will try to
- Build quality is good, but check for defects particulally on sheaths

Summary:
I would gladly praise it as MTECH's strong break into the market if they sorted out the niggly cons. Its everything i want in an EDC and my Car/Motorcycle tool rolls. Guess i need to save up for some modded wengers.
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: MTech Chopper Multitool
Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 06:57:18 PM
You already sold the other two? Dang, I've got one on my wish list. :-\

Looking forward to your photos though. :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 12:56:12 AM
My main reason fo getting 3 was shipping, it cost the same as 2, and i flogged them off easily in australia 'cause they are so unusual

Wouldn't make much sense me sending them back to the US. I really like mine, its so sad that it actually close to the statement 'Buy this instead of a Skeletool'  but the damn pliers wire cutters just let the overall thing down (you will understand when i have a full review and pics)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 12:58:00 AM by Santos »
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 03:27:33 AM
I used to come here a lot.

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 11:20:59 AM
(Image removed from quote.)

What do you mean?  :think:

Maybe you should send me a OH-GAK and then i can speed things up! :call: :2tu:
- Terry Pratchett

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 11:35:48 AM
Here is my first review on Multitool.ORG . For the MTech MT-227 Chopper Multitool.

This multitool steers clear of the cookie cutter 'Folding Pliers with pen blade' mould, .
What makes the design so attractive is the simple fact that its knife is very much the primary function of the tool. Its a 'Knife with tools' not the other way round.

The blade is big beefy and up to the task. Its a thickness that you will not see in a Wenger giving confidence to do those things with a knife that you really wouldn't risk a pen blade. Things like hacking, levering or prying jobs that would leave a pen blade warped, chipped or outright broken. It has a combo edge and the upper plain edge seems to hold up to the odd tasks i have thrown at it. The serrations are just plain silly. The teeth are way to long and grip down rather than cut. Here is a photo of it comparing it with the serrations of my Gerber LMF II.

When i have some spare time i am going to file off those fangs with a dremel which should make the blade itself perfect. I am sure some people will be crying for a plain edge variant, it shouldn't be to hard for Mtech considering their knife-only biker/chopper model is a plain edge.

The handle shape means you can comfortably wield it like any dedicated lockback folder. The added pliers layer makes the handle about the thickness of most fixed blade survival knives which is a plus. The one hand thumb open and close liner lock is very easy to use. Its right handed but a little patience and i could open it with my left using my middle finger.. closing it that way i would more than likely use a finger.

The pliers on the other hand are ambidextrous. They sit comfortably in the palm of your hand. The lever is easy to squeeze down on with your 3 outer fingers and use the index to steady the tool with your thumb if needed. The head is not bad. Not bad considering i have seen it on other Chinese mulattoes like the Versa multitool. It is a nice needle nose design that obviously had a simple-to-mass-machine in mind. I have to give credit to whoever had originally drawn it.

This particular copy on the Mtech though has two little flaws. The teeth are not interlocking and the wire cutters don't cut. The first one is almost trivial, i don't mind the large machine friendly profile but the fact that when i squeeze it shut and i can see light shining through makes me wonder how it will grip those small fiddly things. The second is my biggest frustration with the tool. (more so than the blades Dracula serrations) The wire cutters couldn't even cut 2 mm all-plastic wire for more Whipper Snipper. It may be more the 'assembly' of my unit as when i clamp down using the cutter the pliers heads separate a bit. Again maybe a sharpening with the dremel can remedy this.

Down to the bottom of the MTECH we have the bit driver, it doesn't lock into place like the knife or the pliers but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I find i get a nice ratcheting motion if i use it at right angles.

It comes with 6 1/4" bits 3 flats and 3 philips. Not exciting but you can always substitute in the ones you want. Having tinkered with a few scooters, motorcycles and cars this is handy, you always seem to need at least one specific hex, torx or specialty security bit to undo that seat, instrument or steering column. A design idea i would like to see if MTech ever update the 'Chopper'' is to have the bits housed in the dead space under the folded lever/handle at the base of the pliers. If the went with double sided bits they could easily fit 2 (giving 4 bits)

The bit driver itself actually comes off leaving a little nub that will work with any 1/4" socket. That may or may not be intentional, again a proper 1/4" driver or one like SOG uses on their mulattoes would be a the go.

The nylon pouch has a snap button and not Velcro with an internal elastic divider to keep the bits. In fact i would recommend it if you are looking for an alternate pouch for your leatherman crunch, a test with mine showed it an alright fit. Heck flog the Mtech off on ebay to recover some of the cost.

I'd also like to talk about the overall appearance of the blade. Its black finish and hot rod flames definitely add to the charm of the knife. Its not gaudy or to loud. Gives it that character that would make it a welcome piece in a tool roll or travellers kit.

The last bit. The blade says USA DESIGN, Handcrafted in China. I bought 3 of these since i was having it posted from the states. I intended to keep one in my tool roll to replace the beater duties of my AKM bayonet. I inspected all three and the quality is reasonable for something so cheap, if the cutters worked i would forgiven any other problem i found and recommended it as an inexpensive alternative EDC. That said if you do decide to pick one up be sure to check in the box (or if you buying it online the seller to check) One of the 3 nylon pouches had several 3 inches of threads undone. I just cut it off since sending it back was to much of a hassle... its the one in the picture... i have used it it for the last 6 weeks and it seems to be holding up despite it. I hope Mtech lifts up its game, i would pay the few dollars extra to get that better chinese product.

The "Knife with pliers" is definitely a minimalist design that should be pursued by other manufacturers. In fact i would be as bold to suggest that if SOG should make one based on the Sog Fusion Salute handles. It would allow them to have an import multitool without tarring the reputation of their good ol' made in America designs (Sog if you are reading this... a thick bowie or tanto blade, combo edge serration and a metal sawback please..)

SOG Fusion Salute

- Terry Pratchett

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 11:55:54 AM
That's better ;)

Good review Santos - I'd not seen that MTech before - shame about the cutters really as otherwise it looks like a good tool.
I used to come here a lot.

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 12:51:36 PM
I'll put an update in the mod section when i alter it

Might yet be salvageble..
- Terry Pratchett

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 01:58:38 PM
Great review that mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!