Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Maxpedition Sitka

zeppo · 11 · 3945

Offline zeppo

Maxpedition Sitka
on: January 04, 2010, 10:47:30 PM
Well, new bag time... (hope this is the right place)

Looking for an everyday carry-all. Always filled with gadgets, from portable hdd to thumbdrive to umbrella to whatever.

Maxpedition looks great and seems to fit my needs, the Sitka (or Kodiak).

I have to say it looks like its made for hiking but I think its fit for the urban wilderness (paradox?) as well?

Any users here? Or opinions (huh, what!?), tips or pointers?

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Re: Maxpedition Sitka
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 10:54:26 PM
Well I don't have a Sitka or Kodiak, but I'm a big fan of Maxpedition gear in general.

I did look at the Sitka recently, but came to the conclusion that it was a bit big for an EDC bag, and a bit small (and lacking shoulder straps) for walking / hiking.

It does seem to be very popular with many people for EDC though. Have you checked out the Youtube reviews etc?
I used to come here a lot.

Offline zeppo

Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 10:58:34 PM
Sure checked out Youtube and other reviews, still, any comments are more than welcome. Theyre VERY expensive, even my wife thought so and man, does she buy expensive bags! She saw a 80 euro scarf, liked it and wanted to buy it! I asked her if it had a hidden little fridge or something.

us Offline ACHË

Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 02:11:05 AM
All Maxpedition products are excellent and tough as tanks.

But at pretty steep price.

When I was deciding on which bag/s to get I bought generic 'maxpeditions' in eBay in the $15 to $25 price range and experimented with them for months until I decided which one was best for me. Dimensionally and functionally they are EXACT copies, but of course with lesser yet still tough as nails materials.

After having used/abused/tried to break two of the cheap ones for over six months, I gave up and still bought the real ones, but the generic ones are still in one piece and look pretty new!

If you want I can PM you the link of one of the sellers who carries them.

The real Maxped's are heavier and have one thing that the generics don't have; padded shoulder straps. This can be a deal breaker if you intend on carrying more than 3 pounds or so.

Hope this helps.
[

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 02:19:55 AM
That's a good idea ACHË

I would be grateful for one of those links too :tu:

I used to come here a lot.

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 02:26:11 AM
Just post the link, because I might be interested in one as well.

Offline ecfiffer

Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 04:05:10 AM
just did a review of mine in the review section.  i was a little long winded but i think i sum it up and the end  :drink:
'

Offline zeppo

Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 08:55:42 AM
Nice review ecfiffer, still, €140 still makes me scratch my head, tough decision. Also I hate ebay so I wont be getting any placeholders or tryouts from there I fear.

Aaand I bought one, 140 delivered. Got a black one, its (imo) the less conspicuous one.

Thanks fellas for giving me ideas to spend my money, where else would it go!? (huh?)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 10:36:12 AM by zeppo »

Offline ecfiffer

Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 04:14:21 AM

Thanks fellas for giving me ideas to spend my money, where else would it go!? (huh?)

thanks bro  and you would always buy more multitools!
'

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 05:01:34 PM
I just bought my second Maxpedition Fatboy versipack, so obviously I believe they are worth the money. My old one is just fine, I just wanted a black one to swap out with my OD green one.

Having been through many EDC bags over the years (one year shy of twenty years to be precise), I can say that Maxpedition and Timbuk II are the finest I have carried. Tough, well made, well designed.

Eagle Creek used to make good stuff too ages ago. Don't know about now.
G

us Offline ACHË

Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 11:22:03 PM
Wow guys sorry for taking so long...I totally forgot I had posted in this thread.

HERE YOU GO

The cheapest/most reliable sellers on eBay that carry the bags(I think they are the same company ;)) are:

sellchart

&

bidchart

The stores are called sellchart & bidchart respectively AFAIK.

Here's a few direct links to the items(these will be good for a week or so since auctions
end
)

**Moderators: I'm not affiliated with these sellers in ANY way....If I am breaking the forum rules I will remove or edit the post immediately; just say the word.

Maxpedition Proteus
http://cgi.ebay.com/USMC-US-Army-Molle-Utility-Waist-Pouch-Bag-Coyote-Brown_W0QQitemZ350301726678QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518f9c27d6#ht_1911wt_683

Maxpedition Jumbo
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tactical-Utility-Shoulder-Pack-Carrier-Bag-Pouch-OD_W0QQitemZ350302504918QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518fa807d6

Maxpedition Fatboy
http://cgi.ebay.com/Military-US-Army-SWAT-Utility-Shoulder-Bag-Pouch-BK_W0QQitemZ350301656557QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518f9b15ed#ht_1969wt_683

Maxpedition Operator Tactical Attache?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Airsoft-Tactical-Utility-Briefcase-Shoulder-Bag-Case-BK_W0QQitemZ180452799049QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2a03d33249#ht_3109wt_683

Maxpedition Remora
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tactical-Molle-Utility-Gear-Shoulder-Sling-Bag-OD-S_W0QQitemZ350300170732QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518f8469ec

Maxpedition Lunada
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tactical-Molle-Utility-Gear-Shoulder-Sling-Bag-Black-M_W0QQitemZ180447132143QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2a037cb9ef

There are others and they come in several colors, I posted the first ones that came up on the search but once you are there you can look around I guess.

I only have direct experience with the "Lunada", the "FatBoy" and another backpack that doesn't resemble any Maxped product.

However; so far, all of the bags have similar construction, heavy denier, ballistic nylon, mostly double stitching, etc. The only weak part I've noticed was the storm flap on the fatboy which is a very thin material that can rip if tugged on quite hard.

But for $9.00 bucks, they are great trial packs. If you like them spill $90~$120 on the real one; if not you're out $10.

In fact, you may never need to upgrade to the real one...!   

Hope this helps guys.

[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59