Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Genuine British Army Individual Protection Kit

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Genuine British Army Individual Protection Kit
on: January 10, 2010, 01:31:19 PM
Does anybody have any experience or knowledge on this?

It is a British Army Individual Protection Kit and according to the website selling them:
Genuine British Army Individual Protection Kit (IPK) as issued to the British troops for the construction of NBC Shelter. A strong cord, tightly criss-crossed and held in position by stakes, supports a tarpaulin which in turn supports an earthen ceiling of up to 27 inches. The KIT weighs under 2lbs. Completed correctly, the shelter is strong enough to withstand a Landrover driving over the top of it. The kit comes complete with six strong lightweight 10'' aluminium pegs for anchoring and 55ft of nylon para cord. Groundsheet measures approx. 9ft x 5ft. Ideal for manufacturing a 1 man bivvi, use as a make-shift tent to ride out rain, to provide emergency shelter, covering your foxhole or for collecting water. All brand new and supplied in a sealed bag.

From what I can gather it can be used as an emergency shelter if caught in bad weather but primarily is for protection from an NBC attack. You dig out a trench put up this kit, cover with soil, etc get in and be safe[ish]. 'The shelter is strong enough to withstand a Landrover driving over the top of it' this I would like to see :D

The reason I ask is my father used to be in the British Army and I recently found one in his garage, never used :D

http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/ipk-kit

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/shop/home/just-arrived/genuine-british-army-individual-360959.html

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Genuine British Army Individual Protection Kit
Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 01:53:45 PM
There ok-ish :-\

There not really strong enough to use as a basha, and the materials to thin to make it worthwhile punching eyelets into it :-\

I just used mine a a ground sheet :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 01:57:21 PM

There not really strong enough to use as a basha, and the materials to thin to make it worthwhile punching eyelets into it :-\

When I first saw it I thought it was a groundsheet and thought about 'borrowing' it as such  :D

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 02:00:42 PM

When I first saw it I thought it was a groundsheet and thought about 'borrowing' it as such  :D
Then steal away mate :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 06:04:00 PM
I doubt you'd have to worry about it holding up a Land Rover. You'd have to find one that actually runs long enough to make it to the shelter first. It does look pretty nifty though.

Offline furry

Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 08:28:03 PM
It's designed, as you say, for construction of over head cover when digging in. Apparently, when built correctly with the right depth of soil, it could withstand an artillery hit or a tank rolling over the top.

I've seen the video (propoganda  :D ;)), which 'proves' this, but never had to experiance it.  :ahhh

If you're going to use it, i would suggest as a grounsheet, as has been said.

Hope it helps

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 08:33:19 PM
Thank you all for your replies on this   :salute:

I would love to see this in action especially the landrover / tank over the top  :D

When camping season comes around I may 'borrow' as a groundsheet  ;)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 11:06:03 PM
I'm curious as to what these are supposed to look like when put up, is a basha type of thing?
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 11:45:11 PM
I've seen something similar to this but made out of stiffer material, it was meant to deflect rpg and mortar rounds by flexing and or deflecting due to its shape (cone like).  :cheers:

Offline furry

Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 07:28:49 PM
I'm curious as to what these are supposed to look like when put up, is a basha type of thing?

Not really.

The idea is that you put the included pegs (which are worth having anyway IMHO) in the ground either side of the shelter area of your fire trench. you then criss-cross the included nylon cord (not paracord unfortunatly) tightly between the pegs.

Once that is done and tight, lay the sheet over the cord and backfill the edges with spoil.  Gradually backfill the complete sheet to the required depth (45 cm, or inches, min, IIRC) and tamp down.  place the turf you removed when digging the trench on top for cam, and robert's your mothers brother!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 11:44:14 PM

Not really.

The idea is that you put the included pegs (which are worth having anyway IMHO) in the ground either side of the shelter area of your fire trench. you then criss-cross the included nylon cord (not paracord unfortunatly) tightly between the pegs.

Once that is done and tight, lay the sheet over the cord and backfill the edges with spoil.  Gradually backfill the complete sheet to the required depth (45 cm, or inches, min, IIRC) and tamp down.  place the turf you removed when digging the trench on top for cam, and robert's your mothers brother!

Ah OK, good explanation, thanks. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 08:46:21 AM
Not really.

Thanks for shedding some more light onto this  :cheers:

Nice, clear explanation too  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $160.46
PayPal Fees: $9.45
Net Balance: $151.01
Below Goal: $148.99