Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Utility Knife Locking Mechanisms.

Chako · 10 · 4945

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Utility Knife Locking Mechanisms.
on: June 25, 2010, 02:04:23 AM
I love utility knives. There is just something sweet about using a blade for all the dirty chores with no fear of ruining it, as the blades are easily replaced and are plentiful and cheap. I especially love folding utility knives for their compactness.

Well it comes as no surprise that I have a few knives of this type. Today, I would like to take a closer look at the various styles of locking the replaceable blades into the blade carriage.  I find such things fascinating. Not all blade locking systems are created equal. It is also a bit surprising at how many different types and variations of blade locking mechanisms exist.

Interestingly enough, the least desirable is that found on the Superknife, the originator of this type of knife. This is because the system uses a screw. You will need a precision screw driver to get this one opened and replaced, not to mention all the fun if you ever dropped the screw.

(A simple screw holds the blade in place. This is not very convenient. But at least, it is solid and you will get no side to side blade play or rattling)

I would have to say the most common style is the swing arm. I have no clue what it is called, but I have several folders with this type of mechanism. It does seem overly complicated and may have some accidental finger cutting if you’re not careful. It works by swinging the top locking mechanism off the back of the blade, and rotating a metal plate. The big advantage to this type…no other tools required. Also, you can clean the tool if it gets all gummed up as it opens right up for easy access.

(I have almost cut my fingers a few times when closing the tool after a blade change, as some folders may not have a very deep bottom ledge. You just have to watch out)

Next up on the list of locking mechanism is the button type. There are many variations of this type, and overall, I find this the easiest and safest way to change and lock in a blade.

(Sort of a lock back. Press down on the metal stud, and safe and easy blade exchange is in your future. This style suffers from a bit of blade play and rattling)

(In this example, pressing down on the black plastic button will release the blade. Simple, effecting, and feels utterly cheap)

(A better implementation of the type as seen above. Works the same as the one above, but it conveys a better feeling to the end user as in…”Hey this thing isn’t utter junk!”)

(In this example, you have to pull up away from the blade carriage. However, it is a bit stiff, and the act of pulling away and yanking the blade out sometimes taxes my fine motor skills somewhat. In other words, there are better solutions out there)

(Here is the better solution. Same idea as the above, pull up and remove the blade. This example gives you more to grab however, making it seem a whole lot easier to use)

(This one is probably the worst quick blade removal implementation I have seen so far. Instead of pushing up like the previous two examples, you have to push sideways to the blade…if that makes sense)

So there you have it. Who knew there are so many different types of utility blade removal and locking mechanisms out there?  If you know of another style, I would love to see it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 02:08:12 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline BlueDot

Re: Utility Knife Locking Mechanisms.
Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 04:05:35 AM
This is a Craftsman knife I got for Christmas a few years back.  The swing arm is like the 2nd photo, but has another part to slide in order to access the blade.

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From MISC</td></tr></table>

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From MISC</td></tr></table>

It also has onboard storage for extra sharps.

There are just 10 types of people in the world:  those who understand binary number systems, and those who don't

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 04:20:42 AM
As one who uses a utility knife daily i can only use a swing arm type with Lenox gold blades. I've bought other type of closing systems knives only to give them away to co-workers. My ole stand by is my Kolbalt from Lowes.
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline Pacu

Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 04:21:25 AM
excellent pics and explanations Chako! :tu:
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline Inzelique

• If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer
Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 04:11:18 AM
I have several of these and a few types not shown.  My personal favorite is actually the original Superknife.  The blade doesn't move at all, and I don't change the blade that often.  My second favorite is the Sheffield style (just like the Craftsman, if you check the spot where the bladesits there is an "S" in a circle).  holds the blade securely and no chance of accidental blade ejection.  And blade changes take no time.  I HATE  >:( the ones where you push down on the thumb stud.  When you turn the knife upside down to cut rope or cord, you finger can push the stud and the blade goes flying.  I've done it three times.  :o finally just put those away where I won't grab them in a hurry.

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 12:21:18 PM
Here's couple of mine  :tu:

This one is stainless with alox scales,it has a good solid lock back mechanism and blades are easy to change.

blade change

Nice secure pocket clip

back of the knife

And a picture with the second one,a mini utility knife has a push button blade release and is also a lock back.

Great knives to have around for packge opening and general cutting tasks  :tu: :tu:

00 Offline kwakster

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 12:47:38 PM
Currently we're busy redecorating our appartment, with jobs as removing old carpet and opening all kinds of packages, so a good boxcutter comes in very handy.
This is my weapon of choice; a Superknife SK2 with a very handy blade change mechanism that also remains thin at the business end which aids working in tight corners.
While the original Superknife replacement blades are already way better than standard Stanley blades, i found Lenox Gold blades to be even better.
They are thinner, resist breaking very well, and they keep an edge the longest of all the blades i've tried.

us Offline BlueDot

Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 07:58:18 PM
I have several of these and a few types not shown.  My personal favorite is actually the original Superknife.  The blade doesn't move at all, and I don't change the blade that often.  ...
Don't know if it's true, but I read somewhere that some kid came up with the original superknife, and it is one of the most copied designs around (Folding knife w/replaceable safety blade)
My Superknife is in the truck glove box, and comes in quite handy.  I love the simple, but solid design.
There are just 10 types of people in the world:  those who understand binary number systems, and those who don't

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 08:05:53 PM
I love utility knives as well, and find Gerber's EAB (Exchange A Blade) very useful. I don't mind the fact you need a screwdriver to replace the blade, as I usually have one nearby.
SAW

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 04:24:00 PM
Interestingly enough, the least desirable is that found on the Superknife, the originator of this type of knife. This is because the system uses a screw. You will need a precision screw driver to get this one opened and replaced, not to mention all the fun if you ever dropped the screw.

(Image removed from quote.)
(A simple screw holds the blade in place. This is not very convenient. But at least, it is solid and you will get no side to side blade play or rattling)

The original Superknife used the blade screw but too many people complained about losing the screw or found it a big pain to swap blades while working.  Superknife then switched to the "lockback" thumbstud for their original Superknife model:

This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $81.95
PayPal Fees: $4.26
Net Balance: $77.69
Below Goal: $222.31
Site Currency: USD
26%