Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

knifetests.com

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
knifetests.com
on: July 24, 2010, 09:11:46 PM
Amici,
I stumbled across the most amazing website, which is dedicated to putting through the ringer in the most extreme ways all types of handmade, production, and custom fixed blade knives to test their tolerance for failure and to see if they live up to their makers hype..

The URL is www.knifetests.com and especially check out the testing they did on the Chris Reeves Green Beret as well as the results when they applied their unique form of testing to an American icon, the USMC combat utility aka as a "Kabar" by those who love the pattern..

My favorite are the overall results when testing the Mora Clipper, gives you a new appreciation for the Scandi grind..

It makes you appreciate your fixed blade more after seeing the abuses it and others either sink or swim through, check it out..

Cheers,
Serge  
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 09:21:23 PM by sergemaster »
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: knifetests.com
Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 11:17:55 PM
All he does is beat the crap out of the knives but does nothing to test the actual attributes one would want in a knife, i.e. cutting performance, edge holding and edge toughness.

I guess if sharpened prybar is the goal...

us Offline specgrade

Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 10:53:51 PM
 I'll take any knife that will cut through a cinder block or brick. The guy does test for things that make a knife worth buying. I mean c'mon paper can cut rather nicely but it won't last long. I give the guy respect for what he does and he saves me money knowing what not to buy....nevermind the "sharpened prybar".

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 10:58:48 PM
If I'm going to pay what YOU PEOPLE pay for a knife, I'd like to know it'd outlast a few 2x4 ninja attacks and some garden gnomes whacking the handle from the sides while I am asleep. :D
Got those frog legs.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 11:23:57 PM
I'll take any knife that will cut through a cinder block or brick. The guy does test for things that make a knife worth buying. I mean c'mon paper can cut rather nicely but it won't last long. I give the guy respect for what he does and he saves me money knowing what not to buy....nevermind the "sharpened prybar".

Well if those are the attributes you want, fine, but some of us would prefer something designed for cutting than a prybar or hammer with an edge.  :P

us Offline specgrade

Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 04:09:02 AM

Well if those are the attributes you want, fine, but some of us would prefer something designed for cutting than a prybar or hammer with an edge.  :P

So as long as it cuts and still falls apart...it's all good, right? :salute:

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 08:52:04 PM
Noss is a good guy and he likes to test and it's fun watching his work but his site is not without controversy!

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 11:22:08 PM
Oh man, not that website again!

All I can say is that his so called "Knife Tests" make about as much sense as if Car & Driver performance tested a Corvette Z06 by driving it at 160mph into a brick wall.....or Guns & Ammo range testing the latest Ed Brown Custom 1911 by trying to drive railroad spikes through a 2x4 with it!

I don't know about anyone else but I myself can honestly say through my 30+ years of carrying and using all types of knives I have never once found myself ill-prepared for lack of a knife that can slice and dice through masonry. Nor can I say I have ever found myself in a situation where the material I needed to cut was so tough that knives in my possession needed sledgehammer assistance to get through it.  :think:

Call me crazy but if I have to take down a wall I have found a sledgehammer sans the knife works better.  :tu:

One thing I don't know for sure is whether or not a knife's edge retention, cutting ability, and overall toughness are directly affected when one is dressed in the garb of Jason Voorhees!  ???

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 11:27:41 PM
I find myself stuck in the middle of these opinions.  On one hand the knife is a cutting tool, so what test is it using it as a sledge hammer (as 2xtap said), but on the other hand I do find it interesting what some knives can take.  Why?  Well I'm not too sure really.  I guess some may just feel more confidence in a blade if they know it can withstand  silly amounts of abuse.  If it can cope with that, it can cope with any kind of "tough" cutting situation right?
I'm back!!

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 11:17:29 PM
Benner,

I kind of understand your point, but then again even if it can handle all kinds of abuse doesn't necessarily mean it can handle cutting chores. Might make a decent chopper but maybe not so much a cutter. But then I guess it's all in what you need a knife for.

I guess I see this kind of abuse of fixed blades in same way I see folding knife lock-strength tests......particularly those done by Cold Steel in their videos that many a idiot has copied. Spine Whack tests are a good example.

In this I mean essentially every folding knife is a "pre-broken" knife. The blade folds in on itself. And regardless of the lock none are truely intended to be fixed blades, regardless of the hype and sensationalism......they fold so they can be carried easily, usually in the pocket. They are simple cutting tools. That said, and to my point..........I've carried slipjoints on and off for the past 3 decades. I have never had a slipjoint close up on my fingers while in use. But every single one of my slippies would fail a "Spine Whack" test everytime!

The proper tool for the job is better than the strongest lock on a folder, or the most durable fixed blade.

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

us Offline specgrade

Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 09:45:59 PM
Oh man, not that website again!

All I can say is that his so called "Knife Tests" make about as much sense as if Car & Driver performance tested a Corvette Z06 by driving it at 160mph into a brick wall.....or Guns & Ammo range testing the latest Ed Brown Custom 1911 by trying to drive railroad spikes through a 2x4 with it!

I don't know about anyone else but I myself can honestly say through my 30+ years of carrying and using all types of knives I have never once found myself ill-prepared for lack of a knife that can slice and dice through masonry. Nor can I say I have ever found myself in a situation where the material I needed to cut was so tough that knives in my possession needed sledgehammer assistance to get through it.  :think:

Call me crazy but if I have to take down a wall I have found a sledgehammer sans the knife works better.  :tu:

One thing I don't know for sure is whether or not a knife's edge retention, cutting ability, and overall toughness are directly affected when one is dressed in the garb of Jason Voorhees!  ???

2xTap

Jason's THE MAN! He kicked Freddy's arse.  :pok:

us Offline specgrade

Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 09:52:58 PM

The proper tool for the job is better than the strongest lock on a folder, or the most durable fixed blade.

2xTap

Sorry, I can't afford the proper tool for every job and have to rely on a few to withstand a hammer blow or possible nuclear detonation.  :think: :rofl:

The entertainment value is priceless and if I can get an idea of what my Ontario Jet Pilot Survival Knife can withstand, it's all good.

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 10:42:18 PM
It's entertainment for me that's about it.  :)

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 11:04:59 PM
It's entertainment for me that's about it.  :)

Exactly. Destruction (mindless or otherwise) is usually worth a watch IMO.
I used to come here a lot.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 11:08:41 PM
With the way he destroys those blades a hockeymask isn't a bad idea actually...  :think:

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 04:03:51 PM
specgrade, Sean, DaveK,

Yes, the entertainment part I can understand. But in that it sends the wrong message. The layman see's this and it sets a standard for them for impractical and useless knife abilities. I can't recall how many we have had show up on KF with this crap in their head. Same thing with CS's videos.

And what's worse is you find alot of people beginning to imitate this idiocy.....go to youtube and you'll find alot of it.

We as a community dedicated to the safe use of such tools, and as a community who around the world are fighting our Governments left and right for the right to use, own, and carry such tools should not support such behavior.

Granted, you can't stop stupidity. It's out there and there are millions of them......but you should never support it.

2xTap

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 04:08:06 PM
With the way he destroys those blades a hockeymask isn't a bad idea actually...  :think:

Actually it is. Think about it. He is beating the crap out of thin long steel objects impacted on brick and wood with excessive force. Lots of flying debris and particles. And his best idea for facial protection is something that covers everything except the most important part.....his EYES!

Tells me all I need to know about him.

2xTap

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 12:06:24 AM
I just reckon you are jealous you didn't think of it first  :pok: :P
I'm back!!

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 12:23:25 AM
Remember this video?  I just suddenly thought of it reading through this post.  ::)

us Offline specgrade

Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 11:20:12 PM
Remember this video?  I just suddenly thought of it reading through this post.  ::)

Now that HURTS! Sweet jeebus....

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: September 16, 2010, 08:36:25 AM
Hey I mean if you look at it  knives aren't the only thing being tested these days.

Move over here come the lights.  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jplEaVHnwk&feature=related

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: September 16, 2010, 09:18:51 AM
Hey I mean if you look at it  knives aren't the only thing being tested these days.

Move over here come the lights.  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jplEaVHnwk&feature=related

Great, if I'm ever walking through a volcano and for some reason need a flashlight, I'll get a Fenix...

I'm with 2xTap on this one - the value of these videos doesn't really go much beyond entertainment.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $98.12
PayPal Fees: $5.09
Net Balance: $93.03
Below Goal: $206.97
Site Currency: USD
31%