Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I lost two SAK's by shipping.

jan. · 25 · 2201

nl Offline jan.

I lost two SAK's by shipping.
on: October 08, 2010, 12:37:28 AM

The last months I bought a lot of SAK's from everwhere I could find them.
All with no problems sent to me with or without insurance or delivery signature.
Sometimes I was a little worried when it takes more than two weeks to arrive and some
did passing customs with an delay.
But now with sending more then 50 at me there are just two not arrived. :(
One black cadet Gunga sent me a month ago did not arrived but Gunga can claim it after 45 days he said.
One silver first-mate was sent me two months ago from swissbianco not from ebay with no insurance
and shipping at buyers risk, this was a big lost .
Signature or not signature, ebay protection and paypal insurance needs delivery conformation.
Some sellers don't ship int. oversea, they will not take the risk for stolen or lost items they told me.
In lot off trade forums you can read "CONUS only". Why?
Some countries have a higher risk for stolen or lost items like Italy I have heard. Is this true??
Sofar I can live with it but I know now there is a risk for loosing.
The other thing is when it's not arrived I have to buy again other ones like this black cadet and that's
also not easy to, they are hard to find.
The silver first-mate I bought an replacement from a swiss multitool member, lucky me, but it is also
an money lost to. >:(
Do you guys ever lost items by postage shipping?

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Re: I lost two SAK's by shipping.
Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 02:22:06 AM
There are a couple occassions where items I sent out did not make their destination.  I have learned a couple things since then... some common sense things such as A) Never send something overseas in a bubble envelope!  and B) Always tape every conceivable opening of the box, as hands will find their way into the package along the way otherwise!

SAW

ca Offline gunga

Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 02:28:52 AM
I've sent dozens of packages all over the world, and have lots very few.  I don't use boxes, but put everything in a lot of bubble wrap.  I also seal every envelope with a ton of packaging tape.  You really have to want to get into my packages.

I hope the cadet arrives, it can take a long time on occasion, but if it doesn't I'll make it right.

:D

That said, I don't usually insure all my packages, just thought it would be a good idea this time for some reason...

:think:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 02:39:45 AM
Jan stuff do get lost from point A to B. I have had a few missing packages from theft. Albeit, one package came in two months later in a USPS bag with a not attached that stated they were sorry for the damage. The box was full of oil and looked like it was sent through a blender a few times. I figured it got stuck in their sorting machine and went on a dirty ride somewhere in system. Lucky for me, it was a Leatherman that liked the oil treatment. :)
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 02:56:51 AM
I usually send stuff in a box that where I use at least 20 meters of tape
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 03:28:32 AM
I think postal losses are a fact of life , unfortunately, that said I have only had 2 items go missing, a very small % of my total deliveries ::) ::) :D :D :D. Your First Mate , if you bought it with Paypal you can make a claim as it is the sellers responsibility , rightly or wrongly , too ensure their parcel makes it too the intended destination OR to insure their parcel. If you made a paypal claim & the seller had not used delivery confirmation postage you should get your money back.

I have had two items get lost.The first was a domestic delivery(Australia) it was a Spyderco Sharpmaker & I had paid for Registered post but the seller had not sent it Registered  ::) ::). Fortunately he sent me a replacement Sharpmaker. The second item was a Leatherman Juice & I was hoping the US Ebay seller would offer me a partial refund for my lost item, they did not want to give me anything so I initiated a Paypal claim & got my $ back.

When I trade I use excessive tape  ::) :D :D & send Registered post, $100aus insurance is included & it only costs $5 more.
BTW Canada Post has to be one of the slowest mail services in the world , so hopefully your SAK might still turn up.

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

nl Offline jan.

Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 03:32:28 AM
Some small boxes or envelopes you can use tape but thieves takes the whole package when it is not so big.
The only knife I sent oversea to the US was an buckmaster 184, i sold by ebay.
I sent it in the biggest box I could find for that weight shipping cost,it was realy to big with a lot off tape on it.
I thought a big box did not get lost or stolen but I was worried then because it was my first int. shipping.
When envelopes or boxes are damaged or opened on the way from A to B, do they deliver the empty package with a note ?

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 03:39:30 AM
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

nl Offline jan.

Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 04:09:23 AM
I think postal losses are a fact of life , unfortunately, that said I have only had 2 items go missing, a very small % of my total deliveries ::) ::) :D :D :D. Your First Mate , if you bought it with Paypal you can make a claim as it is the sellers responsibility , rightly or wrongly , too ensure their parcel makes it too the intended destination OR to insure their parcel. If you made a paypal claim & the seller had not used delivery confirmation postage you should get your money back.

I have had two items get lost.The first was a domestic delivery(Australia) it was a Spyderco Sharpmaker & I had paid for Registered post but the seller had not sent it Registered  ::) ::). Fortunately he sent me a replacement Sharpmaker. The second item was a Leatherman Juice & I was hoping the US Ebay seller would offer me a partial refund for my lost item, they did not want to give me anything so I initiated a Paypal claim & got my $ back.

When I trade I use excessive tape  ::) :D :D & send Registered post, $100aus insurance is included & it only costs $5 more.
BTW Canada Post has to be one of the slowest mail services in the world , so hopefully your SAK might still turn up.

I don't think I can claim it by paypal because I accepted uninsured shipping at my risk we did mail.
It was not by ebay. And this seller I do trust him. (because he is swiss ;) )
You can also claim only when there is an delivery conformation as proof that the package not arrived, they
needs also proof before they pay back I think. But it is also sent two months ago.
The point is that I accept the loose of money when I  accept to sent it uninsured and it not arrived.That's OK for me.
Most off time sellers don't ask and I also don't ask how it would be shipped, mostly with no problems the standard
USPS. With or without delivery conformation.
I can live with it and I accept it,no problem, but I was only wondered about your experience about shipping and looses.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 04:27:34 AM
Quite right Jan I would not have gone ahead with a Paypal claim on my LM Juice if the seller had offered me a partial refund for my item getting lost.As it was the seller basically said 'not my problem'. It is a tricky situation as sellers have no idea if the buyer is lying about the item being actually lost. It is a shame delivery confirmation costs so much. I really like the way Australia Post offers signed on delivery & up to  $100aus insurance with their Registered post product. Australia post, I think like many services offers a great service but it is significantly more expensive than USPS  :(

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 10:36:45 AM
Has anyone ever noticed that, while gifts, money and checks are often lost in the mail, bills ALWAYS get through?
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 10:37:52 AM
I remember my first international purchase and my first international trade on here.

I was very wary and scared of it getting lost in the post. These things happen and with my luck it would happen to me  ::) After talking with other members here it's not as often as you would think  :tu:  So far, touch wood, I've never had anything go missing coming to me or from me  :tu: Had a few delays but that was it. I know there are a few that have had stuff go missing which is a true shame  :-\

Obviously the US / UK route is reasonably safe and secure but then accidents do happen and things go wrong  :-\ I have also heard Italy has a bad rep as far as postage is concerned and I get a bit peeved when I see a great product for sale with 'CONUS only'  :rant: Obviously it is the sellers right who he sells to but it still makes me sad. To be fair I'd rather sell stuff within the UK as I can track it easier but if my only option was international I'd take it :)

Like everyone else I use plenty of tape, Duck Tape  :tu: I also put it in one of those tear resistant bags for extra protection :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 01:25:08 PM
Yep, that is the plain truth DTH. Bills always make it through.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

it Offline Jimny

• Just One More Thing .............
Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 02:51:59 PM
I can tell you my opinion for Italy:

For years I buy abroad, mainly in the UK, Germany and the U.S. (and anything in France).
In shipments to Europe I had lost only one package ( not signed for)  and one in Italian domestic shipments.

The main problem is in shipments outside Europe. I can speak for the Americans, the packages arrived empty for 4 times! and it is not traceable shipments (now I do not know if it was updated and the traceability of the first priority mail).it is true that there are dishonest people who claim not to have received the package when in fact it had.I can only advise you to sell in Italy with shipments traceable because they are safe, I'm sorry when someone does not want to sell in Italy because some items are expensive here and it is cheaper to buy in the U.S. (as an example Leathermans).When I have not received the parcel from the USA I'm angry with the seller, I saw that he has sent (the weight is indicated on the package) and is not his fault it was stolen. The only solution is to use mail with trackingand say something similar to the content. Example: If I declare "multitool" this indicates one thing to steal, instead of specifying "working tool" I told the truth but I have less chance that the ruby object.the express mail is not secure because it travels with the normal post, but only with express delivery and it is not possible to be lost.So you can easily sell in Italy, but only honest people (and I think everyone here on the forum to be) and shipping with tracking.

Sorry for the  "google translator" language  :D

Offline VicX

Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 04:05:59 PM
Some countries have a higher risk for stolen or lost items like Italy I have heard. Is this true??

In my experience, no. I mean, no more than anywhere else. But the italian postal system is really slow, that is true.

<--- 100 posts! I'm the coolest man on the face of the earth.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 04:07:39 PM by VicX »

it Offline sardauker

• Just arrived
Reply #15 on: October 08, 2010, 06:13:24 PM
Italy has a really bad name...

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: October 08, 2010, 06:25:22 PM
I have found that royal mail have made it so hard to claim back that people dont bother, ive had a few things disapear and mainly do with tracking now, as ive lost a few ££ over this year,  :-\

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #17 on: October 08, 2010, 07:24:47 PM
I have found that royal mail have made it so hard to claim back that people dont bother, ive had a few things disapear and mainly do with tracking now, as ive lost a few ££ over this year,  :-\

i always thought it was quite easy?

i guess it makes it easier if you send it tracked/insured
I

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: October 08, 2010, 10:04:04 PM
RE Italy  post - I had a CPF member ask me to make him some paracord bits, a lot of paracord bits. I agreed to do it but added that it would have to go via insured postage at his cost. Therefore if it went missing I could refund him and make a claim. He agreed and it landed in Italy around 7 days after posting. It should have taken 3 to 5 days!

At the end of the day you have to make your mind up about what the item is worth, and are you willing to either pay extra to insure or risk it going missing, because sometimes it happens.

it Offline Jimny

• Just One More Thing .............
Reply #19 on: October 08, 2010, 10:11:41 PM
As has been said, my compatriots, but the Italian post office is slow (I add) the mail arrives European albeit slowly and there are no problems with the UK, surely it would be better if it were faster, for example, if you order a game with the normal mail delivery is the normal time of 8 days at least up to a maximum of 2 weeks. Not a good service, and I am ashamed of this. When I read on ebay that the seller does not ship in Italy, the thing I'm really sorry.I is slow even though I'm not complaining, it is important that all arrivals, this would be good.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: October 09, 2010, 04:01:31 AM
I have a one good story.  I've sent stuff all over the world hundreds of packages, and all but 1 package to Italy made it through.

I've received hundreds of knives from a smaller number of geographical regions and all have made it except one, last Christmas.  I should of had them hold it until the rush was over... it was red Alox so I'm sure it made a nice Christmas present for someone.  I've not been able to replace it, but oh well.

I did have a lost package from +B a little while ago as well.  I don't count that one because he is terrible at administration and really does not know how to use the postal system or how to properly package something.  Since he could not confirm it had been sent, or even which country it may have been sent from, and could not locate any tracking I'm not faulting USPS on that one.  I got my money back, but I have no black Farmers or proper scales for my Yeoman Mk-III.  Maybe he'll start selling more through Felinevet again, I've scared now to try my luck anymore I had such a nice long run.

I'm so happy we have a couple of great people in Switzerland supplying us with a steady stream of special-run Alox knives.

This week though was my good story... a knife from Switzerland shipped on the 1st of Sept. arrived in NewYork on the 5th... and then disappeared.  On Monday I went to the post office and got the information that it reached NewYork.  I was busy so I was just about to contact the seller again on Wednesday and have them file a claim... BUT it showed up instead... WOW I thought!  I had already recieved packages from the same seller that were shipped much later so I figured it was a gonner for sure... not easily replaced either....  but I was lucky!!   I will say from Switzerland one needs to use Priority mail to the US otherwise I'm always biting my nails hoping it's not lost.

nl Offline jan.

Reply #21 on: October 20, 2010, 02:06:59 PM
The lost cadet Gunga sent me, arrived today after 6 weeks on the way.
Sorry that I was worried Mike, but thanks again.

ca Offline gunga

Reply #22 on: October 20, 2010, 06:28:23 PM
 :cheers:

YEah!  You got it!  Glad it FINALLY got there.  Hard to find those things.  Enjoy as part of your collection Jan!

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: October 20, 2010, 08:11:34 PM
The lost cadet Gunga sent me, arrived today after 6 weeks on the way.
Sorry that I was worried Mike, but thanks again.

Surface mail can take longer but even airmail can go astray I had a package once take ten weeks from the USA,meanwhile I almost got banned from CPF with my replies  :rofl: nowadays I look into international shipping more closely  ;)

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: October 21, 2010, 02:20:39 PM
[Surface mail can take longer but even airmail can go astray I had a package once take ten weeks from the USA,meanwhile I almost got banned from CPF with my replies   :rofl: nowadays I look into international shipping more closely  ;)

Link please !! >:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD