Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swisstool Terminology 1170

Newbie Posts: 10
Swisstool Terminology
« on: October 02, 2007, 05:38:48 AM »
I was browsing a few sites and on one site they called the black swisstool anodized, and on another site, oxidized.  Is there a difference?


Admin Team Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 23,213
Re: Swisstool Terminology
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 05:58:50 AM »
I see the term used interchangably, but that's not quite correct.

Black oxide is a process done to steel. It changes the surface of the steel itself, with no build-up. Think of it as a super intense layer of black rust. This is what the SwissTool has.

Anodize is a process done to aluminum and titanium. It can either be hard anodize (black, so hard you can't scratch it with a file, Leatherman Charge AL and ALX are good examples) or decorative anodize (pretty colors, easily scratched, Leatherman Juice series tools for example.) Anodizing does alter the surface molecules of the metal, but it also builds up a slight amount, like plating.

Anyhow, that's the layman's explanation of the differences between the two. Our resident metalurgist JoeBW may be by with more details.  ;)
Hope this makes sense,

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every must first acquire a lot of tools
No Life Club Posts: 1,064
Re: Swisstool Terminology
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 08:02:09 AM »
For the record, I'm pretty sure that the Swisstool is black oxidized.




Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $169.99
PayPal Fees: $9.76
Net Balance: $160.23
Below Goal: $139.77
Site Currency: USD
May Donations

Community Links

Powered by EzPortal
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines
Page created in 0.106 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2018 Defender Web & Tool