Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Tool... Victorinox Outrider

us Offline getpower

• More money, younger women, and older whiskey
New Tool... Victorinox Outrider
on: February 05, 2011, 06:48:14 AM
What's up guys?

A few days ago I Started a thread asking who actually carries a 111mm SAK everyday.

I also mentioned that I had a new one on the way.

Well here it is, and here are some pictures comparing it to an OHT:

Hopefully the pictures come out alright.

I'll try to take some in-action photos if I use the tool tomorrow, also.

First impressions of the tool left me fairly impressed.

After I ordered it, I was afraid that the Outrider might be a little too thick. I found that width-wise, the tool is only a handle scale thicker than my OHT. It's very pocketable IMO.

I chose this model because it had the right selection of tools that I use and know I will use on at least a weekly basis. This way if I wanted to go minimalist (for myself), then I had all bases covered. The outrider does not have one single tool that I wouldn't use at least once a week. Granted, I don't open a bottle of wine every week, or even once a month, but I am sure that it'll make a great pick for when the awl would be too sharp of a tool.

That's kind of all I have to say for now, but when more thoughts come to mind, maybe after a day or two of use and carry, I'll try to post them if you guys are interested.

I have to say though that I am really pleased with the tool, and I was really surprised that they made a tool with exactly the tools that I needed, and in the size that I wanted.

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Re: New Tool... Victorinox Outrider
Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 09:13:21 AM
victorinox makes somes awesome stuff.

for me, if its pocketable......its usually going to see more use.

nice tool
Quality Control
Materials
Design

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 09:21:43 AM
I did quite fancy getting an Outrider at one point but I seem to have become sidetracked.  :think:  The only 111mm's I have are liner locks, so could I ask; how do you like the slide lock?
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
I like the side lock on my Workchamp if that helps mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 05:25:42 PM
I like the slide locks.  I actually prefer them over the linerlock from an handling point of view.  I'm not one to stress the locks on the knives.  However; for me the linerlock knives do win out in the end because the steel liner makes them feel so solid, and the locking caplifter is just such a great tool, and I really like the new DD scales.

Have no fear though, the slidelocks are great... get a Cheese knife... Awesome and it's not available in liner lock.  Otherwise checkout the 111mm Hunter or Outrider ... very nice knives. The serrated edges available on the marine models is also nice to have around, and you get the Marlinespike/needle/shackle-opener.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 05:28:44 PM
How is it to operated the slide right-handed though? The biggest thing that has stopped me from getting a Workchamp has been the lefty-centric layout of the slide lock.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 05:38:24 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.  I'll no doubt pick something up at some point but, TBH, I've spent my pocket money for the next few months already. :-[ 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline The Shadow

Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 06:45:09 PM
Cool thread!  I've been thinking about getting my first 111mm and just ordered the Outrider yesterday.  Did a thread search first and didn't find too much, then saw yours today.

Lots of positive comments on this SAK - I think I made a good choice.  Thanks!
Who knows...

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 07:17:14 PM
How is it to operated the slide right-handed though? The biggest thing that has stopped me from getting a Workchamp has been the lefty-centric layout of the slide lock.
For me I don't see the slide-lock as lefty-centric at all.  I like the handling because I feel it is righty-oriented; it is no problem to slide with ones fingers why holding it in their right hand.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 07:19:07 PM
hmm. It's just such a habit to release a lock with my thumb and use my fingers to close the blade, seems like releasing the lock with my fingers and closing the blade with...what exactly? would be awkward. Maybe I need to see if I can handle one someday before I decide whether to buy one.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 07:44:15 PM
I see, I don't really try to close it one handed.  I generally release the lock an put the spine of the blad against my body or other near surface and close it.  I often also use my left hand to close the knife if it's not occupied.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 07:49:29 PM
Darn it!!!! Now I want a new one.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

us Offline getpower

Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 08:56:28 PM
For all of the people who wanted to know about the slidelock and think that's it's more left-hand oriented-don't worry about that.

I think the lock on this Outrider is better than my OHT. It's definetly easier to use while being right handed.

I have to use two hands to open it, but to close the knife I can hold it in my right hand, blade edge pointing away from my palm, slide the lock back with my middle finger, and close the blade with my index finger.

Probably not the safest way to close the blade, but it's a habbit I guess from carrying folders for the past three years. Maybe I'll develop another habbit while carrying this knife.

As for further use, I apologize, but I haven't encountered anything laying in my bed.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 08:14:18 PM
Thanks a ton, guys. After reading this, I decided I had to have one! Just ordered it from Amazon. No wonder my GF hates me playing around on sites like this....
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 10:31:52 PM
Thanks a ton, guys. After reading this, I decided I had to have one! Just ordered it from Amazon. No wonder my GF hates me playing around on sites like this....

She sent us a PM, asking if we could ban you.....but we said no. :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #15 on: February 06, 2011, 10:50:59 PM
The Outrider is my favorite 111mm model as well. The scissors with long reach Phillips screwdriver is such a great set of tools to add. Wish it was a OH variety.
http://sakfan.blogspot.com/search/label/outrider

Offline HungryBear

• New User
Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 02:30:59 AM
That does have a nice mix of tools.  I like the saw for wilderness purposes and the scissors for urban uses. :tu:

us Offline getpower

Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 08:22:31 AM
I never updated this yesterday as I said I would.

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures do to time constraints and in the interest of getting
the jobs done as fast as possible.

So, the first day that I carried the Outrider, oddly enough, the very first tool that I used was the saw. I went to my geandmothers house and the first thing that needed to be done was that a little tree in her front yard needed to be cut out as close to the ground as possible. She handed me a small hatchet and I threw it aside thi king that it'd be a great way to test my new tool. Worked very well too. Little bit of wood clogging, but I still went through alright.

The second tool that I used was the thin phillips screwdriver. I used the driver to take three screws out of a fence that was holding some obsolete lights on it. I am pretty pleased to report that the small, thin plhillips screwdriver works surprisingly well on #2 Phillips screws.

Offline Eyegor

For those comparing locks
Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 10:39:11 PM
As a leftie, I am in love with the slide lock. I've never been a fan of linerlock knives in general. I suppose it comes from my formative Scout years when it was drilled into our heads to never put flesh in the path of a closing blade. I know that thousands and thousands of knives can't be wrong. It is just me but I love the slide lock. I do think it allows slightly more vertical blade play than the liner lock models but nothing I can't live with. I give Vic credit as their liner locks seem to be more left-centric, a rarity in the marketplace.

P.S. I've EDC'ed a 111mm Vic since 1991, usually with pocket carry. Until recently a 3 layer Rucksack. Now, it's a Hunter. Also a 3 layer. Not sure I would go the extra layer (like an Outrider) on a daily basis but I might.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 10:42:38 PM by Eyegor »
T

us Offline The Shadow

Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 09:17:09 PM
Finally got mine this week and I love it.  It's big, but not too big.  Big like "comfortable in the hand big."

It's no larger or heavier than the Skeletool I sometimes carry, but a lot more comfortable in the pocket.  My first test of it was popping the top off a Sam Adams - it handled this task admirably!  It's got a great mix of tools, excellent quality, and looks damn cool.  I'm also looking forward to trying that huge saw!

Who knows...

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 10:31:00 PM
I've been meaning to get one of these for some time too.  Do I recall correctly that the phillips driver has a smaller working end than the inline phillips driver on the 91mm models?  Can someone make a comparison between the two and comment on how well the driver on the Outrider works?
- Terry

us Offline The Shadow

Reply #21 on: February 19, 2011, 08:49:27 PM
Can someone make a comparison between the two and comment on how well the driver on the Outrider works?

I'm sorry that I don't have a 91mm with a phillips to compare.  But I can tell you that this phillips is approx 1.75" long, and the head is slightly wider than a size P0 screwdriver.  I tried it on an assortment of smaller screws and a few larger ones (like drywall screws) and it worked fine.  Let's face it, anything else you'll probably grab a specialty driver for. I think it's a good design for a general purpose one-size-fits-all driver that you can EDC.
Who knows...

de Offline Jmora

Reply #22 on: February 19, 2011, 10:49:22 PM
I did quite fancy getting an Outrider at one point but I seem to have become sidetracked.  :think:  The only 111mm's I have are liner locks, so could I ask; how do you like the slide lock?
another interesting difference between slide lock and liner lock is that the slide lock blade seems to be a lot smaller than the liner lock, it is not as broad. The slide lock also has a bit of a 'kick' in it when you open it.

us Offline getpower

Reply #23 on: February 19, 2011, 11:51:55 PM
I have had the Outrider for a couple of weeks now and I love the thing.

I've probably really only had it in my pocket for maybe 4 whole days, but it's in my bag all of the time.

Interestingly enough, the first tool that I needed to use on the Outrider was the saw. I never expected for someone to just say that they needed to have a tree cut down. The saw worked well and got through maybe a 3" diameter tree in about 2-2 1/2 minutes. It clogged up right away because the tree was pretty wet. It kept cutting though so I didnt unclog it so as to just get the job done.

The second thing that I had to use on the knife was the phillips screwdriver on some #2 head screws. It worked very well on those, but there wasn't much torque on the screws because they were screwed into wood. I think if there was torque on them then it would have worked okay too, but you'd have had to make sure to work the driver so as not to slip.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: February 22, 2011, 12:40:11 AM
According to my records I don't have the Red Outrider; that may be a mistake I may have to go hunting.

I just got some fancy new unusual 111mm scales for a Slide-Lock though and they need a Knife... I'm thinking Outrider, but I'm not really sure.  As a regular user I like the Outrider and the Hunter, but as a special one... maybe a larger one would be better.  Hmmm.  Tough decision, but there is time.

de Offline Jmora

Reply #25 on: February 22, 2011, 12:27:04 PM
According to my records I don't have the Red Outrider; that may be a mistake I may have to go hunting.

I just got some fancy new unusual 111mm scales for a Slide-Lock though and they need a Knife... I'm thinking Outrider, but I'm not really sure.  As a regular user I like the Outrider and the Hunter, but as a special one... maybe a larger one would be better.  Hmmm.  Tough decision, but there is time.

workchamp XL perhaps?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD