Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

And the winner is.. Backpacker Magazine announces # 1 MT for 2011

us Offline 82brutus

I could see why they choose the juice, but why not the XE6?, small and more complete!

And if they had chosen the XE6 I already have one and wouldn't still be dying for the s2.  :-/
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
the XE6 is quite a bit bulkier and heaver than the s2.
Quality Control
Materials
Design

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
The S2 is my daily carry, so I can't help but agree with their choice.  I do own other leathermans as well ( squirt p4, wave, surge tti, skeletool cx)
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Welcome to the forum Syph.  :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Amici,
As it was earlier mentioned, I think the choice of the S2 was geard to those who really don't know much about blades or mulitools for that matter and was an attempt for them to reach a middle ground since if you had read their knife pics, pure Chicom junk that would be served better as fishing lures..

One folder geared to the gram weenies of the ultralight backpacking crowd had mentioned that when the chap conducting the testing tried to cut items, the liner lock would occasioning "slip", but since it didn't cut the tester, it was given a thumbs up..

I like the S2 as well as the CS4 albiet a tad on the bulky side but again this was geared to gram weenies and novices involved on the sport.  I for one carry two when out trekking in the bush as a minimum. Lately my rotation consists of a Buck 112 on my hip, and yes either the S2 or CS4 in my pack since depending where I"m planning to go on that day, I won't be needing a slough of drivers.

On the other hand, I may go with just the TTI on my belt and leave the second cutter at home so it really depends on your MT/blade  skillsets and where you plan on trekking!

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

Offline Nathan

I think it also depends on what your style of backpacking is. A lot of people who go backpacking, are traveling from city to city, from youth hostel to youth hostel and they travel a lot by train or other public transport. In that case, I think the Juice S2 is a good option. It's a basic multitool, but with pliers, a blade and scissors I think it provides the most used tools. For trekking in the wilderness, I'd choose a more capable multitool though.

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
I'd say that an all around good choice of tool.  :tu:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
The S2 is my daily carry, so I can't help but agree with their choice.  I do own other leathermans as well ( squirt p4, wave, surge tti, skeletool cx)

With all the necro posts, I had to look up my very first post on MTO.  I DO remember carrying the S2 back then.. good times.   :tu:
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Not carrying it any longer mate?

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon

I took it apart to put a SAK blade in as an upgrade... its still apart.  :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Sounds like that needs sorting out. :poke:

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User

:rofl:
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

Now that sounds more like one of my projects not your :D

Glad to see some more peeps necrothreading :cheers: Seems fitting to be reminiscing in the wake of the 10 year anniversary :tu:

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?

Let the mod who is without this sin cast the first stone....   :whistle:

I'm sure we all have one or two projects in a box somewhere that have not progressed past the "pulled apart" stage because we didn't think through the "how am I going to do this" stage before starting.

on topic...  I had three Juices.  S2,  C2  and a CS4.  Sold them all.  They just felt a little flimsy to me. If backpacking and watching grams I'd rather carry a Skeletool and a Huntsman or Ranger for better tools and some redundancy.
If camping where weight would be not be so important, Wave and a Farmer.

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club

If the MT is going to be the only Blade I carry in 2011 I would have gone with the Skeletool as well. Today it would be the Signal. A Juice will never be the same once you drop on the ground and sands gets in.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

Yep welcome indeed :D I see you have already made yourself at home though :cheers: ;)

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon

Yep welcome indeed :D I see you have already made yourself at home though :cheers: ;)

:D  I should really put that S2 back together and keep it in the car or something so it gets some use.  I remember I even shaped a 91mm SAK blade to fit in place of the stock one, but re-assembling was a total pain, so I put it in a box... and its been waiting... awhile.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

:D  I should really put that S2 back together and keep it in the car or something so it gets some use.  I remember I even shaped a 91mm SAK blade to fit in place of the stock one, but re-assembling was a total pain, so I put it in a box... and its been waiting... awhile.

Yeah it definitely sounds like one of my projects now :rofl: wait ??? You make sure the blade fits before trying to reassemble  :think: :D

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Hell, I have about 5 SAKs in a box that never got reassembled.  One of them is a cybertool.  I can't remember where I put the box...

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Hell, I have about 5 SAKs in a box that never got reassembled.  One of them is a cybertool.  I can't remember where I put the box...

Although I am getting to that point as well with some of my stuff :whistle: that sounds more like my dad at the moment :D

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Found my mod thread on this

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,37942.msg609537.html#msg609537

I swear its going back together any minute.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Found my mod thread on this

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,37942.msg609537.html#msg609537

I swear its going back together any minute.

We may need pics, you know just to make sure :whistle: :D

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team

Although I am getting to that point as well with some of my stuff :whistle: that sounds more like my dad at the moment :D

LOL!  I'm moving at the moment so I'm excused!   :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

Yeah that is as good of an argument as can be had :D

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team

So I get all the way up here(30 hr drive or so) and start my interviews, ending up with a few offers.  I accepted one, and asked if I could go do my paperwork before I fly back to my old house to wrap up the cleaning and remnants of my stuff.  They said sure, bring your DL and SS card.  Well crap.  I locked my SS card in my small gun safe, which I left in Texas with my stuff so I could have my gun with me on my final drive up where permitted. 

I have my stuff in 4 different places: my inlaws house where I'm staying, my storage unit two hours away, my bro in laws house near there, and my house in texas.  And a week from tomorrow we are moving in to our new house.  It's a whirlwind!   :ahhh

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here

So I get all the way up here(30 hr drive or so) and start my interviews, ending up with a few offers.  I accepted one, and asked if I could go do my paperwork before I fly back to my old house to wrap up the cleaning and remnants of my stuff.  They said sure, bring your DL and SS card.  Well crap.  I locked my SS card in my small gun safe, which I left in Texas with my stuff so I could have my gun with me on my final drive up where permitted. 

I have my stuff in 4 different places: my inlaws house where I'm staying, my storage unit two hours away, my bro in laws house near there, and my house in texas.  And a week from tomorrow we are moving in to our new house.  It's a whirlwind!   :ahhh
Glad you found a position! Sounds like a bit of a disaster trying to move everything though!
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
30 hrs. ??? Where did you move to Alaska :ahhh

Sorry bout the bit of bad luck with your SS card hopefully when everything is moved it all goes a bit smoother :tu:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
I moved from the dead center of Texas to northwest Montana, about 75 miles from the US/Canada border.  The fun part is I get to fly back tomorrow, work 4 days, then make the whole drive again alone.  Except now it's more like 33 hours to where we got a house.

The move is stressful, but we are doing well. 

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
I moved from the dead center of Texas to northwest Montana, about 75 miles from the US/Canada border.  The fun part is I get to fly back tomorrow, work 4 days, then make the whole drive again alone.  Except now it's more like 33 hours to where we got a house.

Best wished and safe travels buddy :cheers:

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

Best wished and safe travels buddy :cheers:

+1   :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59