Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Spyderco Ladybug question

au Offline Cyclone82

on: March 12, 2011, 03:04:15 AM
I am very keen to get a ladybug. I already had my eye on one before reading on here that the general consensus was that they are the highest qulaity/best key chain knife.

I see there is a rust free salt version but i think its only available with yellow handles. Does anyone know if it would be possible to buy a normal Lady bug and take the black handles off and put them onto the salt version instead of the yellow handles? I would much prefer a rustless steel. Do the handles attach with screws?

Are lady bugs available in half serated/half plain blade?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 03:07:19 AM by Cyclone82 »

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Spyderco Ladybug qestion
Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 03:11:43 AM
I am very keen to get a ladybug. I already had my eye on one before reading on here that the general consensus was that they are the highest qulaity/best key chain knife.

I see there is a rust free salt version but i think its only available with yellow handles. Does anyone know if it would be possible to buy a normal Lady bug and take the black handles off and put them onto the salt version instead of the yellow handles? I would much prefer a rustless steel. Do the handles attach with screws?

Are lady bugs available in half serated/half plain blade?

Not anymore. You can probably exchange blades. But it would be easier to dye the yellow handle black. There is a thread or two around here some where on how to do the dyeing.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

au Offline Cyclone82

Re: Spyderco Ladybug question
Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 04:07:21 AM
I probably would't want to dye the handles. Just after a black handled stainless steel version. Just wish the salt came in black. I havent been able to find any close up enough pics to see if they are riveted or screwed together with Torx yet. Most web pics only show one side of the knife. The more i see this knife the more i want one!

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 04:36:58 AM
My orange ladybug salt has torx construction but other ladybugs have rivets. Hope that helps.  :tu:

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 05:46:05 AM
Hmmm so so if i wanted a rust free black lady bug i would need to buy

a black one
a yellow salt
an orange one

drill out rivets on black one to get black handles
drill out rivets on yellow one to get rustless blade
assemble the bits using torx screws from the orange handled one.

well that sounds like what i need to do anyway. i think it might work as long as there is no differences between the orange handles and the black ones apart from colour.

Haven't actually seen any orange ones yet but will try again...... Just checked their website. Orange is out of stock and discontinued:cry: I guess i know why. Everyone wants the screw type. Any places out there that have any orange ones left? I am always so late to the party its not funny.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 05:50:38 AM by Cyclone82 »

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 05:48:57 AM
Hmmm so so if i wanted a rust free black lady bug i would need to buy

a black one
a yellow salt
an orange one

drill out rivets on black one to get black handles
drill out rivets on yellow one to get rustless blade
assemble the bits using torx screws from the orange handled one.

well that sounds like what i need to do anyway. i think it migth work as long as there is no differences between the orange handles and the black ones apart from colour.

Haven't actually seen any orange ones yet but will try again.

That is an absolutely insane amount of money and work.

It costs $3 to buy a box of black RIT fabric dye, and it's dead easy to use.  It's fabric dye, you just put the dye in a saucepan, bring it up to boiling and put the knife in.  Take ~20 seconds and voila - black knife.  It's water soluble and washes out extremely easily, but if you're worried you can buy a throwaway pot from a thrift store.

Boiling water isn't nearly hot enough to affect the steel or handles - I've boiled a ladybug and a byrd finch to get some epoxy off the handles before.

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 05:52:37 AM
other option is to just go with a black non stainless riveted version. I dont think i would get it that wet but stainless would have been nice. I guess you just keep the blade oiled?

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 05:57:32 AM
other option is to just go with a black non stainless riveted version. I dont think i would get it that wet but stainless would have been nice. I guess you just keep the blade oiled?

VG-10 is a fairly rust-resistant steel.  I have a VG-10 Ladybug (the sprint run hawkbill from last year) that I carry and use every day, and it doesn't have any rust on it.  I also live in a very humid environment.

ca Offline gunga

Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 06:01:50 AM
How well does die work on frn handles?  Does it wash off or rub off?

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 06:02:34 AM
 What does 'sprint run' mean? is it just the shape of the blade? Only place i found with orange ones so far is Country Comm but they wont ship internationally. its a shame because they have a tonne of stuff i want.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 06:04:06 AM by Cyclone82 »

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 06:06:46 AM
How well does die work on frn handles?  Does it wash off or rub off?

RIT dye is meant for nylon, and FRN is essentially hardened nylon.  You can use RIT Remover to remove the colour if you have to, but it's essentially permanent - it will not rub or wear off.  If you dig around the search function here and on the Spyderco forums you should be able to find threads where people have dyed their handles.

Sprint runs are what Spyderco calls their limited editions.

us Offline David

Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 07:35:22 AM
I`ve dyed two ladybug salts. One red and one brown. The dye does not wash or rub off. from what I hear all ladybug salts are now torx screwed together. But dealers may still have riveted ones. My ladybug salt hawkbill is torx screwed.    :)  Here is a link: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,18228.0.html
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 08:14:16 AM
whats teh differences on the limited editions?

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 09:04:43 AM
whats teh differences on the limited editions?

There's almost nothing similar between the different sprint runs. 

Some have different blade shapes than the standard models.  Some have different blade steels.  Some have different handle colours or materials.  Some are limited edition re-runs of older, discontinued knives.  It really depends on what model you're looking at.

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 06:31:11 PM
The orange spyderco ladybug was a sprint run and are sold out. Sometimes you will get lucky and find one on the bay. As for county comm those orange ladybugs were made for a goverment agency. The one ones from county comm have a h1 blade, orange handles, and torx construction.  :tu:  :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%