Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger EvoGrip S557

FredKJ · 44 · 5227

Offline FredKJ

Wenger EvoGrip S557
on: December 08, 2007, 05:05:24 AM
Well guys I was wanting a Wenger after seeing the Tool Chest but reading the descriptions of it some of the gadgets just weren't that good.  I saw the EvoGrip S557 and it seemed to have features that take advantage of what is best in Wenger.  It even has a universal wrench.  I found it for $44.10 which looks like a good price.  By this time next week I should have it.  Has anyone else had experience with it?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Wenger EvoGrip S557
Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 05:22:21 AM
Not me, not yet anyhow  :(

There were rumors of a special SOSAKOnline run of these knives I believe....?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 12:12:52 PM
The S557 does look very good.  It is certainly on my list.
I'm back!!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 12:15:49 PM
It has been for a while hasn't it ???
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline FredKJ

Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 12:51:11 PM
Well it was Def's review on SOSAK that sold me on it.  You know I'll let you guys know how it works for me when it comes UPS in a few days.  While I was looking at the Tool Chest this thing was so nice. 

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 01:04:04 PM

It has actually.  That and a Crunch and a swisstool and a spirit and a charge and an alinghi....................... :D
I'm back!!

Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 01:44:29 PM

It has actually.  That and a Crunch and a swisstool and a spirit and a charge and an alinghi....................... :D
I thought as much :)

Offline FredKJ

Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 02:04:13 PM
You guys clearly have a substance abuse problem.  :D

Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 02:30:33 PM
It's not a problem, we like it that way :D

Offline FredKJ

Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 02:39:29 PM

Sure you don't and denial is a river in Egypt.  At least Benner can have some tool envy. 

Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 02:40:49 PM

Sure you don't and denial is a river in Egypt.  At least Benner can have some tool envy. 
Benner hasn't got tool envy, he's just got magpie syndrome, if it's shiney, he's just got to buy it :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 02:47:28 PM

Benner hasn't got tool envy, he's just got magpie syndrome, if it's shiney, he's just got to buy it :D

Exactly. So what do you do? You send me a fixed blade and now I keep finding myself on heinnie's website! >:D
I'm back!!

Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 03:01:36 PM
What are friends for :D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 03:13:28 PM
As I said in the other thread as well, don't forget Tom Munch's S557 review:

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=149&Itemid=35

There were rumors of a special SOSAKOnline run of these knives I believe....?

There still should be, but at the moment I have hijacked Travis for another project!  The poor man is stuck running around in circles trying to keep up with all the projects I give him! :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 05:15:54 PM
....It even has a universal wrench....... 

Has anyone actually used that universal wrench? Does it really work?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: December 08, 2007, 06:02:27 PM
Yeah- it works, and really quite well when you figure out that it only turns one way.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: December 08, 2007, 06:09:21 PM
I really like my S557.  You found a great price on it as well.

Tom

Offline FredKJ

Reply #17 on: December 08, 2007, 06:33:07 PM
I'm going to pick up a 2 pack of Victorinox mini screwdrivers so I have one of those in it.  It's one thing Wenger doesn't have since Victorinox has it patented.  But since the Wenger has a cork screw why not.  When I found my Super Tinker again it had a broken scissors spring so I went out and bought a pack of springs, tweezers and toothpicks.  Each pack was only $2.  So I have a supply if one gets broken or lost.

Can't wait for the S557 to come.  Waiting on Santa Clause :D.

Offline FredKJ

Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007, 01:58:02 PM
Well I am watching the UPS tracking and it should be here this afternoon.  :mail:

I had also ordered a couple of Victorinox mini-screwdrivers that got here yesterday.  I also keep a stock of spare toothpicks, Tweezers and springs on hand.  My Super Tinker has gone through about three springs.  They do wear out in time but are so cheap to replace.  Of course the S557 doesn't have that issue.  I will have a mini-screwdriver added to it.

I'll let you guys know how it is once I get it in my hands.  Interesting that there are two versions of the model,  one with the rubberized grip and one with a normal but fitted scales.  It really does look like one of the best general purpose EDC knives available.  Normally I would think Victorinox is better but this has those particular "Wenger" innovations like the locking blade and screwdrivers along with the fitted rubberized grip.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #19 on: December 14, 2007, 02:06:35 PM
My Super Tinker has gone through about three springs.  They do wear out in time but are so cheap to replace.  Of course the S557 doesn't have that issue. 

The scissor spring (backspring) on the Wengers can break, but it's a rarity.  The replaceable spring in the Vics is a positive thing, IMO.
- Terry

Offline FredKJ

Reply #20 on: December 14, 2007, 02:14:32 PM
My Super Tinker has gone through about three springs.  They do wear out in time but are so cheap to replace.  Of course the S557 doesn't have that issue. 

The scissor spring (backspring) on the Wengers can break, but it's a rarity.  The replaceable spring in the Vics is a positive thing, IMO.

Well, I'll get to compare them.  A pack of 6 replacement springs cost me $2 for the Vics.  I guess I will have to put wear on the S557 for several years to find out how the backspring holds up.  You don't understand how usefull scissors are till you have them.  True they make good fingernail clippers but there are times when they server better than a knife blade.  A typical use is when I have to cut a loose thread on some clothing I have on.  A knife can pull on the thread and you don't risk cutting yourself with the scissors when doing it with clothing you are wearing.  Then there are the thousands of times you have to cut some paper and don't have to go scavanging for regular scissors.

Offline FredKJ

Reply #21 on: December 14, 2007, 11:27:03 PM
 :mail:

It just got here.  I have been checking it out.  It does really have the feel of a work tool.  It's slightly slimmer than the Vic Champion Plus I have.  Overall it seems real good.  I do wish the Wenger reamer had a sharp edge down the side and I don't see how the screwdrivers actually "lock".  Perhaps someone can tell me about that.  The pliers seem nice.  The spring mechanism actually seems pretty clever.  The EvoGrip scales give it a real solid feel.  It seems more like a tool than a knife.  The different design of the can opener seems like it would be really good for cutting open boxes.  I added a Vic mini screwdriver to it and will give it some quality pocket time.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: December 15, 2007, 12:07:08 AM
Glad it arrived safely mate.  I thought it was the phillips that locked open.  Is this not the case then?? ???
I'm back!!

Offline FredKJ

Reply #23 on: December 15, 2007, 12:13:48 AM
Glad it arrived safely mate.  I thought it was the phillips that locked open.  Is this not the case then?? ???

It doesn't seem to.  I mean it snaps open tight but I don't see where it locks.  It clicks into place.  Overall though it seems real solid, more like a tool set that happens to have a knife than a knife with tools on it. 

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: December 15, 2007, 12:15:45 AM
We need Def or Tom's input here I feel.
I'm back!!

Offline FredKJ

Reply #25 on: December 15, 2007, 12:29:52 AM
Probably.  The phillips snaps into place but so does the Champ Plus.  The feel of it is like it's "engineered", something different.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: December 15, 2007, 12:31:17 AM
The screwdrivers do lock, but only in use.  Find a screw that is securely in place, insert the screwdriver and push on it.  You will see that the screwdriver slides into the knife by a couple of millimeters and will not fold.  When you release the pressure, the screwdriver slides back out of the knife and can be folded.  There is no manual lock mechanism that you have to disengage so it doesn't seem like there's a lock, but it's there.

In fact, if you look at the pivot end of the screwdriver you'll see a small notch cut into it, and that's the part that locks it open when pressure it applied.

Def

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #27 on: December 15, 2007, 12:37:51 AM
Thats quite a clever little system!
Roadie
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

Offline FredKJ

Reply #28 on: December 15, 2007, 12:46:03 AM
The screwdrivers do lock, but only in use.  Find a screw that is securely in place, insert the screwdriver and push on it.  You will see that the screwdriver slides into the knife by a couple of millimeters and will not fold.  When you release the pressure, the screwdriver slides back out of the knife and can be folded.  There is no manual lock mechanism that you have to disengage so it doesn't seem like there's a lock, but it's there.

In fact, if you look at the pivot end of the screwdriver you'll see a small notch cut into it, and that's the part that locks it open when pressure it applied.

Def

Yes, I just tried it.  It's definitely "engineered".  There are a lot of innovations here.  It's a tad large for pocket carry but shorter and not as wide as the Champ Plus. 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: December 15, 2007, 12:47:00 AM
It's a fantastic and effective system.  Every other fancy knife or tool doodad has some kind of trade off, but I don't think this does- it just works.  You don't even notice it working, and in most cases, if you don't point it out to people, they don;t even know that it's there.  All they know is that it's never closed on their hands and really, that's all that's important.  Nothing fancy, just straight up function, which is what a tool should be all about!

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%