Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Huntsman or Ranger?Please help...

sheida · 78 · 44765

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Re: Victorinox Huntsman or Ranger?Please help...
Reply #30 on: August 14, 2011, 07:38:27 PM
When in doubt listen to Neil..  ;)

:pok: What are you after? :think:
Ohh, Nothing...... :angel: :angel:

atm..  :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: August 14, 2011, 07:52:39 PM
back on topic (though not helping I suppose  :-[)  I'm a big fan of my Wenger Evo18, very pocket friendly and perfectly capable as a camping tool.  In fact it was the SAK I was using last winter while out hiking and camping.  Knife and saw are big enough so as to be able to do anything the Huntsman can do, though the scissors aren't as nice and the awl not as good. 

If the nail file is important to you and you definitely want to pocket carry your SAK then I'd have no problem recommending one. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #32 on: August 14, 2011, 08:00:08 PM
The Wenger EVOGrip S18 isn't all that small compared to the Victorinox. Dimensions can be misleading somewhat...as we are still only talking millimeters here.

Wenger EVOGrip S18 (yellow) compared to a Victorinox Master Craftsman (same knife as a ranger, but switches corkscrew for a Phillips. Come to think of it, not sure why I just didn't grab the Ranger next to it...but it makes little difference for the photo compare).

Blade size is surprisingly not that different from the Victorinox.

The Wenger S18 is thinner due to a lack of layers that the Victorinox has.

A shot of the Phillips drivers. Note, the Ranger has a corkscrew instead of the Phillips.

The ranger has more layers, more tools, and is slightly larger. However, the Wenger has a locking blade (S version), and a comfortable ergo grip.

Hope the photos help you somewhat. Every single knife mentioned in this thread is a great piece of gear. I know this can get confusing...but just focus on the tools you will need in the wild, and you can't go far wrong with either Wenger or Victorinox.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 08:16:28 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #33 on: August 14, 2011, 08:15:48 PM
Here is the Ranger versus the Wenger EVOGrip S18. Plain EVO models do not have the rubber inlay for your information.

You can see that my Ranger copy is an older version lacking the hook and chisel on the back. Likewise, you can also get an EVO 18 which lacks the locking main blade.

And the saws.

gb Offline Farmman

Reply #34 on: August 14, 2011, 08:32:56 PM
Welcome. I have just returned from a weekend camping withe the family. My ranger served me well

us Offline bren10man

Reply #35 on: August 14, 2011, 08:51:52 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum.  I am a little bit across the border and south of Turkey...Uncle Sam sent me to Mesopotamia last May......

Nothing wrong with the Ranger....I would go for it over the Huntsman.  What I WISHED is that they would bring back the Master Craftsman (I do have the Space Shuttle version....), essentially, a Ranger with Phillips with a corkscrew (get the mini-screwdriver like on the Swiss Champ, you can buy them individually....I wear eye glasses, so a no-brainer to have that for me).

Camping logo: I bought a brand new Ranger when I was stationed in South Korea about 2 years ago.  It has the Camping logo.  Both plain and Camping logo scales are offered.  The Camping logo appears more common for the rest of the world vs. back home in the USA.

File: I EDC (and since 1986) a Champion.   And I have used thefile and scissors to manicure my nails.  I find the combination better than nail clippers.  No issues.   Then again, I am a man, and I am not worried about what my nails look like, as long as they are clean and trimmed in accordance with U.S. Army dress-code specs.  I suppose you use an emory board, like my wife does.
MOLON LABE!

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Reply #36 on: August 14, 2011, 08:54:11 PM
You know, this is how you guys lure people into this strange Multitool/SAK obsession.  That's not a complaint, mind you, just an observation.  :P :D
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

tr Offline sheida

Reply #37 on: August 14, 2011, 10:21:21 PM
Thank you everyone. I havent decided yet. I'm changing my mind every minute :cry:. Chako, what about Wenger Scout S18 or Evo18? Evogrip is good and screwdriver for a Phillips is more functional than a corkscrew but I dont like yellow  :-\

Is this the same with your yellow evogrip18? I love red  :D I tihink you have the S version which means it has lock with the knife? And one more question, aren't you satisfied with the scissors?
Wenger Evogrip18.jpg
* Wenger Evogrip18.jpg (Filesize: 8.63 KB)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 10:50:49 PM by sheida »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #38 on: August 14, 2011, 10:55:02 PM
Yes. It does come in red.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #39 on: August 14, 2011, 11:13:51 PM
You know, this is how you guys lure people into this strange Multitool/SAK obsession.  That's not a complaint, mind you, just an observation.  :P :D

Like your any better than the rest of us Kelly?  :pok: :D
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

tr Offline sheida

Reply #40 on: August 14, 2011, 11:19:20 PM
Once you step in the SAK world, you become addicted and cannot go back  :D

I've lost my mind for days in the world of SAK, trying to find the right one 4 me :ahhh

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: August 14, 2011, 11:26:17 PM
Once you step in the SAK world, you become addicted and cannot go back  :D

I've lost my mind for days in the world of SAK, trying to find the right one 4 me :ahhh
You'll end up with several of them and then find yourself taking group pictures, weighing the pros and cons of the one's you've got then you'll ask on here "Which of these that I have do you think is the best for ...." You'll end up with at least 5 more after that and have to start all over again...it's the beauty of MT.O!  :)   :cheers:
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42 on: August 14, 2011, 11:36:44 PM
She speaks the truth.  :D

sheida, if you are finding things a little confusing, and are looking for some good photographs, I did an inventory of both my Wenger and Victorinox collections recently. You may find some of the knives in here helpful.

This link has all the other links tied into it. I have broken it down into size, and of course into Wenger and Victorinox.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,29228.0.html

tr Offline sheida

Reply #43 on: August 14, 2011, 11:55:03 PM
With the help of Chako, I totally changed my mind and decided to buy a WENGER  :o

Now I have another 2 choice. Wenger Scout S18 and Wenger Evogrip 18 (red) :)  I'm now just triying to choose the color :)
Chako, is the lock useful?

I got insane because of the SAK  :ahhh  :ahhh  :ahhh
scout_s18_sku jpeg.jpg
* scout_s18_sku jpeg.jpg (Filesize: 29.6 KB)
16814_evogrip_18_sku jpeg.jpg
* 16814_evogrip_18_sku jpeg.jpg (Filesize: 35 KB)

nz Offline KiwiMark

Reply #44 on: August 14, 2011, 11:57:23 PM
I like the Ranger as a camping SAK, there are times that a file is very handy for grinding of a little plastic or wood or metal and it IS usable for fingernails.  I am going to modify mine by adding an eyeglasses screwdriver in the corkscrew and a stainless steel pin in the hole in the scales in behind the corkscrew - it has the hole & corkscrew already so why not add a couple more useful items!

I'd recommend getting the Ranger because it will be great for camping, see how you find the file on fingernails and then consider the options.  One option is to buy a second SAK like a classic for the fingernail file.  My choice was to carry a Leatherman Squirt S4 (my tactical folding scissors) which has a fingernail file on it, mainly because I like the bigger & better scissors it offers (despite being a very smal & compact multi-tool).

My Ranger came from the USA (Amazon) and it doesn't have the camping logo.  I'm going camping in 3 weeks so I'll probably take the Ranger - it's got a great mix of tools and my eyeglasses screwdriver & stainless steel pins should arrive before then too.
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

- Sal Glesser (Bladeforums - 8 Jan 2011)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #45 on: August 15, 2011, 12:07:52 AM
It depends on personal preference. The lock will prevent the blade from closing on your fingers if you misuse it. However, if you don't, a lock isn't necessary. Personal preference and local laws.

Don't discount the Victorinox offerings either. A little known feature of many of Victorinox's larger knives like the Ranger, a very useful removable pin is included for lancing wounds and whatever you can imagine a pin might be useful for. The pin is found on the back side scale towards the corkscrew/Phillips.

Ultimately, you will buy one and try it out for a while, and possibly buy another down the road. You will wonder why you spent so much time trying to get the perfect knife the first time around. GraysonK is quite right about this. It is hard to buy just one, as there are so many different combinations out there, you will get curious.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #46 on: August 15, 2011, 12:13:42 AM
I'd go for the Scout one, if for no other reason than to help celebrate your new role. :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #47 on: August 15, 2011, 12:14:45 AM
I agree with Gareth.

:salute:

tr Offline sheida

Reply #48 on: August 15, 2011, 12:41:28 AM
You will wonder why you spent so much time trying to get the perfect knife the first time around.

My family wonders why I think so much on a penknife. They say "Go and buy one. Why are you trying so much?" And I answer "You don't understand. Choosing a SAK is more difficult than buying a SAK"  :cheers:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: August 15, 2011, 02:17:27 AM
You will wonder why you spent so much time trying to get the perfect knife the first time around.

My family wonders why I think so much on a penknife. They say "Go and buy one. Why are you trying so much?" And I answer "You don't understand. Choosing a SAK is more difficult than buying a SAK"  :cheers:

...amd choosing a new SAK is far more fun than paying for it :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: August 15, 2011, 02:24:14 AM

...amd choosing a new SAK is far more fun than paying for it :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
+1

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #51 on: August 15, 2011, 05:24:41 AM
And I answer "You don't understand. Choosing a SAK is more difficult than buying a SAK"  :cheers:

It isn't a penknife. It is a tool that will be your constant companion, your ally and most trusted servant. Yes, it might make you bleed once or twice, but only because you were doing something silly and ignoring the trust it has in you. Although if starts giving you investment advice, seek professional help. :)

Honestly, I spent less time looking at vehicles when I bought my truck than I do trying to find the right knife, and that was only a few hundred times more expensive than most of the knives I buy.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

tr Offline sheida

Reply #52 on: August 15, 2011, 12:07:45 PM
Sorry for not shoosing the RIGHT word (penknife). As you see English isn't my mother tongue, I am a Turkish.

Thanks everybody, I decided to buy Wenger Scout S18. :2tu:

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #53 on: August 15, 2011, 12:29:35 PM
Sorry for not shoosing the RIGHT word (penknife). As you see English isn't my mother tongue, I am a Turkish.

No worries, I don't think ironraven was acutally correcting you ;) Nothing wrong with your English IMO! 8)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

de Offline Jmora

Reply #54 on: August 15, 2011, 12:47:20 PM
that's a good choice  :climber:, hope it serves you well  :salute:.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #55 on: August 15, 2011, 07:25:42 PM
well thanks to this thread I found myself carrying my Wenger Evo17 (corkscrew not screwdriver) today and used the blade, scissors, saw and even filed my nails a little. :D  Excellent knife IMO and I don't think you'll regret buying yours. :tu:

Like the new Avatar BTW. :cheers: :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #56 on: August 16, 2011, 12:03:15 AM
sheida, tell us your thoughts and experiences with the knife once you get it and use it a little. I always like to hear other people's opinions and experiences.  :salute:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #57 on: August 16, 2011, 03:13:54 AM

Sorry, wasn't giving you a hard time- they're right, I wasn't correcting  you. I think I left out a key word, which is "just", as in "it isn't just a pen knife". :) Your english is much better than anything else I speak.

Not just a pen knife. This a much deeper relationship than most people have with their car- it's approaching the level of what you have with a dog or cat.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #58 on: August 16, 2011, 02:09:53 PM
Personally I wouldn't go that far :) but I certainly get annoyed when I realise I've not put my SAK back in my pocket. Once you get used to having a bunch of useful tools always with you its frustrating when they're not there.

SAKs are penknives but they're souped up and fancy penknives :D
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: August 16, 2011, 07:09:50 PM
And sometimes they are even knives with pens :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69