Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Huntsman or Ranger?Please help...

sheida · 78 · 44759

tr Offline sheida

Re: Victorinox Huntsman or Ranger?Please help...
Reply #60 on: August 16, 2011, 09:52:34 PM
ironraven, thank you  :) Because in Turkey we are in semester holiday, I don't use English :) [i'm an English teacher,i wrote on the 1st page] But you are right, calling a SAK just a "penknife" is an affront  :crash: :P

I ordered my Wenger Scout S18 yesterday online and I think it will come in a few days, I suppose. I will write here as soon as I get and use it  :) I'm sure I'll say: "How did I live before I had a SAK?"  :sak:

us Offline Donald

Reply #61 on: August 16, 2011, 10:42:38 PM
sheida, I think you will enjoy your choice. They were all good ones. One thing to consider is not only the physical size of your pocket, but the size of your hands. Thicker knives can get a bit unwieldy unless one has large hands.

Here is a picture of the Wenger S17 (85mm) accompanied by 2 Wenger Clipper AT model (65mm). The AT model does not have a blade, the regular Clipper does.

Here is one with the Wenger S17, Rinaldi fixed blade, and a 111mm Victorinox Outrider.

Wenger S17 by itself.

I also often carry other knives including this vintage Farmer.

Here are a few Victorinox knives with StayGlow scales or handles. From top to bottom, Swissbianco Plain Edge Stay Glow One Handed Trekker (unfortunately not generally available), Huntsman, Climber, and Classic.

Here is the Farmer with a lanyard. It is just slipped through itself to make it easy to remove. It is tied with a lanyard knot, diamond knot, or friendship knot, all different names for the same knot. The Fold-A-Cups (Made in Sweden) are also handy. The easiest way I found to learn how to tie it is here: http://www.homemade-gifts-made-easy.com/lanyard-knot.html

Now if I can just figure out what happened to my Boy Scout folding knife or pocketknife.... ;)  [The brass K&M Matchsafe and Audobon bird call are recent not from my BSA days. Since I have two girls, I was an assistant Girl Scout leader for a while, but then I mostly carried a SAK.

While I'm running off at the fingers, I may as well add the following instructions that came with the BSA firekit, the red vinyl one in the picture. I think it might have been a fundraising activity by that troop. It was interesting that they suggested what many advocate, pulling back the ferrocerium rod. This was from the mid 1960's.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 11:00:09 PM by Donald »

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #62 on: August 17, 2011, 01:08:35 AM
How about a Wenger Handyman...

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #63 on: August 17, 2011, 03:36:20 AM
I'm sure I'll say: "How did I live before I had a SAK?"

Differently.  :D

Of course, now it's going to want friends, you know that.

"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Reply #64 on: August 17, 2011, 04:19:35 AM
I'm sure I'll say: "How did I live before I had a SAK?"

Differently.  :D

Of course, now it's going to want friends, you know that.
Oh yeah, definitely going to want friends.  Then they'll bicker about which one would be the best for you to carry from day to day.  Sigh...kids! :)
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

nz Offline KiwiMark

Reply #65 on: August 17, 2011, 04:30:25 AM
You end up having a favourite EDC and then a different SAK as your favourite camping SAK, then a favourite slim SAK for when you go minimal but still can't bear to be without a SAK, then you get one just because it seems like a neat SAK to have, then . . .

Damn those Swiss - they are costing me a lot of money!  Putting out such good quality tools at such a good price should be illegal!  Does anyone think I really NEED 7 SAKs & a SwissTool?  Oooh, those black Pioneers look real nice . . . dammit, I don't need more SAKs, must resist temptation . . .

I don't even know why I have 3 great camping SAKs, it makes it hard to decide which to take - my Ranger is well equipped for camping, my Farmer is real nice and my OHT has a nice big blade & saw.
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

- Sal Glesser (Bladeforums - 8 Jan 2011)

tr Offline sheida

Reply #66 on: August 17, 2011, 05:04:07 PM
At last I have my SAK  :ahhh . While I was trying to open the tools, my fingernail was broken, and I used the nailfile first  :D it was great. I opened my mineral water with the bottle opener. LOVE IT!  :ahhh
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 05:32:35 PM by sheida »

tr Offline sheida

Reply #67 on: August 17, 2011, 05:13:33 PM

This is the thickness between my Samsung star and Wenger Scout S18

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 05:30:27 PM by sheida »

us Offline django.cj

Reply #68 on: August 17, 2011, 06:29:30 PM
Congrats!  :cheers: Enjoy your new companion.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #69 on: August 17, 2011, 06:35:03 PM
Very nice photographs. Hope you enjoy the new acquisition.  :salute:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #70 on: August 17, 2011, 06:46:35 PM
Good choice sheida and very nice pics too..  :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #71 on: August 17, 2011, 06:56:29 PM
OK, you've got me wanting a purple SAK now. ::) :D

Looks excellent and I'm sure it will serve you well. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

tr Offline sheida

Reply #72 on: August 17, 2011, 07:06:48 PM
Actually I am a RED addicted and I even can't think of buying smt purple  :) But this can really impress a SAK lover. I didn't imagine this purple could be so bright. Also, cos I'm a new scouts leader, this choice is really special for me.  ::)

Thanks everybody  :dd:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #73 on: August 18, 2011, 12:52:09 AM
Enjoy it!Theres few things more trustworthy or relaible in this world than a SAK!Your first will always be special,but trust me,there will be more to come :D
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Donald

Reply #74 on: August 18, 2011, 07:14:49 AM
Congratulations on the new SAK! I'm glad it arrived. I enjoyed the fine pictures! My first and for many years only SAK was a Wenger 1 17 01. I since mostly retired it and often carry the updated version, the Evo S17, I showed above. Other than the World Scouting color and logo the only difference is the corkscrew rather than the Philips driver as a bottom tool. I like having the lock on the blade in a shorter knife (85mm) than 111mm (Victorinox) or 120mm (Wenger). IIRC the lock is one reason the Wenger "S" line of 85mm knives is mentioned at equipped.org.

spam Offline trinity

Reply #75 on: November 30, 2011, 07:21:33 PM
Hello Sheida
I would suggest the Ranger...it gives you more options when outdoors. I would even go so far as to suggest the SwissChamp.
The reason is simple, when we leave the comfort of our homes, our ability to manipulate our environment diminishes...therefore we need to compensate...the further we go, the more we may need.

Lots of folk dont like the added weight...i tend to agree, relative to the distance you intend to move away from your environment. A simple example of an astronaut taking a classic instead of a swisschamp...doesnt make sense...

So, when your safety may be at stake, and those of others, i would opt for the most/compact tool+= swisschamp...this is my opinion...

spam Offline trinity

Reply #76 on: November 30, 2011, 08:26:42 PM
sorry i was like 100 years late on this one...glad u went with the wenger purple...wengers are awesome tools...i have a few...

us Offline bladechick777

• No Life Club
  • I'm An SAK Nut, You're An SAK Nut, Let's Hug! =]
Reply #77 on: November 30, 2011, 09:22:03 PM
Hello Sheida.

Welcome To The Wonderful World Of SAK's!
That Scouts Wenger Is Really Nice, I Rather Like That One.
I Knew Someone That Had One And She Loved It.

Anyways That's Just The First Of Many To Come!
Also, You Can Get A Ranger On Ebay In Black: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victorinox-Swiss-Army-Knife-BLACK-RANGER-New-53861B-/120817076233?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item1c21424809#ht_1868wt_698

Digital Camo - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victorinox-Swiss-Army-Knife-BLACK-RANGER-New-53861B-/120817076233?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item1c21424809#ht_1868wt_698

Classic Red: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-RANGER-91-mm-3-58-TOOL-VICTORINOX-SWISS-ARMY-53861-/380374584318?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item5890178bfe#ht_4234wt_708

And You Could Always Get The Ranger Plus - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victorinox-Swiss-Army-Knife-RED-RANGER-PLUS-53861P-New-24-Features-/140647746896?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item20bf424d50#ht_2348wt_698

Also Some Other Models I'd Recommend Are:
Victorinox Tinker
Victorinox Super Tinker
Victorionx Deluxe Tinker
Victorinox Classic - They Have A LOT Of Designs
Victorinox Rambler
Victorinox Explorer
Victorinox Camper
Victorinox Alox Bantam
Victorinox Alox Cadet
Victorinox Alox Soldier
Victorinox Alox Pioneer
Victorinox Alox Electrician
Victorinox Alox Farmer
Victorinox Spartan
And I Love The One Hand Sentinel As Well.
~Jessie~

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD