Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wingman meets the competition

kirk13 · 28 · 6343

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
on: September 26, 2011, 03:28:12 PM
Right!I said in the other thread I'd do some comparitive pixs,so here we go!

Competitors shown are the Gerber Crucial,LM Bladeless Fuse and a Vic 91mm Camper.

Next to the Camper and a StylePS

And

The MTs propper

Plier heads!I'd say the Fuse is a runaway winner!Bigger,stronger and has crossover wire cutters,verses the anvil type on the other two.

Drivers.Bit unfair as my Fuse is modded,but standard one has the long reach medium flatdriver instead of the bit driver.

I think its a split decission here.The Gerber has locking drivers(not essential but a damn nice thing to have),but they are super stubby.The new LM drivers are much longer,and feel better constructed,but are non locking.The small flat driver is on the tip of the file :-\.Again I think the older LM is the better option.

Are bit drivers important to you?They are to me,as it adds far greater flexablity to my edc.The Fuse has 2 options(one modded ;)),the other as an aftermarket addition.

And it will use the old style bit driver

The Gerber will take the Gerber magnetic bit holder,but is a loose fit(sorry no pic),but mates very well with the old LM unit

I was very concerned that the Wingman wouldnt be compatable with either LM bit driver.I was 50% right

The Fuse type driver wont fit either of the drivers.

Scissors are a bit of a disapointment.Folks who hate the SOG snips arnt going to like the Wingman!The Gerber lacks any snips,so the Vic was used as a contol standard.

They were tested on a Jiffy Bag,heavyish brown paper,with 2 layers of plastic bubble wrap

Oh Dear!Comprehensive victoery for Vic!I cut into the envelope until the point of resistance.For the record,the Vic hadnt quit,I just felt it had proved its point.It would have cut clean across the envelope.Both MTs would have needed thier blades.

On that subject:

The LM blade seems to be better quality,but looks far less sheepeople friendly.As both are locking,I think the image becomes a bit of an issue here in the UK.Both lock well,and OH deployment for both is easy.

The Gerber lacks a file,which is one of my more used tools.

Frankly,the older LM wins hands down here :-\

As a conculsion(or a series there of),I'd say the following
1)The value of the Wingman is based IMO on how much you pay for it!£35 seems to be the UK price,and that aint bad for a full size LM!However,a little googling will dig up Blasts or Fuses for the same price!
2)The Wingman feels like an enhanced Skelitool!I love my Skelli,but when I've carried it,I've always come up short on tools.The Wingman adresses this shortcoming,however it doesnt feel as well built as a Skeli,and isnt the same pleasure to handle.
3)Its no advantage over the previous generation of medium,full size LMs.Its not the leap forward thatthe Fuse types were over the PST types.
4)Yes I'd buy one over the Gerber equivialent!
5)Leatherman PLEASE TAKE NOTE:You really can do so much better!
3)
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Wingman meets the competition
Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 03:35:27 PM
Kirk where did you get it from  :ahhh i didnt think the wingman would get here till november or later , dont suppose you have a wave to compare it next to  :D  nive review mate, i want one now  :ahhh

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 03:40:48 PM
Zed.I'd pre-ordered from David at MultitoolExpert
http://multitoolexpert.co.uk/index.php?main_page=products_new

I wouldnt do the comparision to a Wave of either generation!The Wingman just aint in that leauge!Now Wave vs Powerlock?That'd be an interesting one!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 03:54:25 PM
Thanks Kirk for your review.

Wow.. I was looking forward to getting one of these, but now I think I'll wait for more reviews.  It makes me wonder if LM actually tests their products for useability before finalizing them  ???
SAW

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 03:55:33 PM
You've done well mate, great info. :tu:

Non locking drivers. I hadn't realised this, I'm over munching my hands. IMO thats a fail.

If possible can you do a couple more pics comparing how wide the handles and plier jaws open? Oh and how the spring action works as well. Chur.

us Offline Bosman2

Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 03:57:55 PM
I don't really get the Sidekick/Wingman, the Blast, Fuse, totally Blows them away!!!  The only advantage is the outside tools.  They weigh the same and are nearly as long.   Waste of money!!

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 04:01:29 PM
Is the file long enough to function effectively?
SAW

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 04:16:38 PM
Is the file long enough to function effectively?

Not to mention trying to mark a straight line with the ruler.....

Nice of them to mark the drivers though, now I just have to figure out which ones are the knife and scissors.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 04:47:41 PM
cheers kirk for the link, although i reallly wanted one if its not much smaller than the wave i might leave it, i fancied a smaller lighter mini wave  :D

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 06:15:51 PM
Good review I was thinking about getting one ( curious)
But I think that I will stick with my ST300 :pok:

It is currently the winner against Gerber and Vic

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 07:42:11 PM
To be fair with the price; £35 seems to be full RRP, so while you can find Fuse's and Blast's for the same money they're on sale, not full price.  Hopefully we'll be able to get the Sidekick and Wingman at discount rates at some point. :)

Given that I'm not totally won over by your (and others') reviews these are tools that I'll definitely want to handle before I buy.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 07:56:41 PM
I want one of each but i am going to let the dust settle first. I think the big box stores are going to sell these tools pretty cheap. Maybe Costco will sell both tools for 50.00 for Christmas.
Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 08:04:18 PM
Whatever we say we will end up buying ar least one....  Just can't help ourselves...
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 08:33:01 PM
I'll have my sideKick this week and then i can compare to some others on size in pictures. No Wave though. Glad i'm missing out on scissors and getting the sidekicks saw.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 12:30:32 AM
@Gareth.Its a fair point to make that these are tools best handled before being bought.At RRp yes the Wingman isnt a bad deal,and yeh there will be dicounted tools before long

@DKS:yeh I'm hearing you mate ;)

@Zoidberg.Will do mate,might be a day or two before I get there though.

@Zed.Sorry,this aint no mini Wave :cry:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 06:22:37 AM
I'm with Bosman2 here, the Blast/Fuse line totally kick the crap out of these new additions.  I can't for the life of me figure out why LM is replacing the Fuse with these.  They just don't seem to be a worthy replacement.

Our only chance is the REBAR.  If it is a disappointment as well then I will be buying about 20 or 30 Blasts.

EDIT:  I forgot the Sidekick/Wingman both have OH outside accessible blades.  I would prefer them both to any of the gerber tools, so they do have at least some appeal.

I keep going back and forth on these tools.  I think my final answer is going to have to be that I will wait until they are old hat, buy one or two, and see how they actually hold up in person.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 06:26:40 AM by Mercury »
Sean

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 12:11:31 PM
Well if that is the case, my only wish is that they do not make 20 different versions of the new tools. I am running out of storage room here.  :rofl:

On a more serious note, I can't wait to get my Wingman and Sidekick.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 12:01:47 AM
Well if that is the case, my only wish is that they do not make 20 different versions of the new tools. I am running out of storage room here.  :rofl:

On the contrary.  I want at least 50 different versions.  Of each.

I mean, who wouldn't want a SS Cap Crimper Two-Handed Opening Tim Leatherman Signature Edition First Production Run Wingman with Signed Letter of Authenticity?  Or the Special Edition Cabela's Camo Edition Sidekick in 154CM steel with black coated blades and Camo leather slipcase?

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 01:26:17 AM

On the contrary.  I want at least 50 different versions.  Of each.

I mean, who wouldn't want a SS Cap Crimper Two-Handed Opening Tim Leatherman Signature Edition First Production Run Wingman with Signed Letter of Authenticity?  Or the Special Edition Cabela's Camo Edition Sidekick in 154CM steel with black coated blades and Camo leather slipcase?

Who wouldnt?
Eh sorry that would me :oops:

us Offline Mike 208

Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 07:18:03 AM
I won't say that I will never buy a Wingman/Sidekick, but right now these just don't "do it for me."  I am interested in checking out the Rebar.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: September 29, 2011, 05:54:01 AM
Thanks for the review Kirk. As opposed to just appearances, it would be interesting to hear how the various wire cutters actually performed for you, as well as the various screwdrivers. :salute:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: September 30, 2011, 12:53:26 AM
Thanks for the review Kirk. As opposed to just appearances, it would be interesting to hear how the various wire cutters actually performed for you, as well as the various screwdrivers. :salute:

Well the Wingman went to work with me on Tuesday,and in truth I wasnt impressed!Only real job that came up was rebuilding the lock on one of my display cabinents.The philips failed to grip on the lock's retaining screw(good job I had my Cybertool34!No problem there...).Real problem is its kinda between sizes,bigger than a No1,smaller than a No2...

The retaining nut needs to be tightened with the pliers.In fairness its a awkward job,but the Wingmans pliers were too narrow to get a grip.Cant comment on the wire cutters...but cant say I have any great hopes

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: September 30, 2011, 03:13:10 AM
Well I do agree with you on the file and phillips screwdriver assessments Kirk. :-\ I prefer files to be as long as possible, and phillips screwdrivers to be square/3-dimensional. (not flat)

But I also prefer one hand opening/liner locking knife blades, pocket clips, and all metal construction. :salute: And so far I haven't had any problems with the anvil cutters on my Sidekick, and I've tested it cutting several different types of wire just this afternoon.

So I can't speak for the Wingman as I don't yet own one, but I'd prefer a Sidekick over a Fuse any day. :salute:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #23 on: September 30, 2011, 07:29:32 AM
Well I do agree with you on the file and phillips screwdriver assessments Kirk. :-\ I prefer files to be as long as possible, and phillips screwdrivers to be square/3-dimensional. (not flat)

But I also prefer one hand opening/liner locking knife blades, pocket clips, and all metal construction. :salute: And so far I haven't had any problems with the anvil cutters on my Sidekick, and I've tested it cutting several different types of wire just this afternoon.

So I can't speak for the Wingman as I don't yet own one, but I'd prefer a Sidekick over a Fuse any day. :salute:

« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 07:31:45 AM by Mercury »
Sean

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: September 30, 2011, 07:41:05 AM
Tis true, I am a bit loony sometimes :D But seriously, this is one of those To Each His Own things. For me, the outside opening knife and all metal construction of the Sidekick trump the better phillips and longer file of the Fuse. :salute:

Bottom line, we're all different, so thank goodness multitools come in so many great flavors, so there's one best suited for each of us! :D

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #25 on: September 30, 2011, 07:42:34 AM
Tis true, I am a bit loony sometimes :D But seriously, this is one of those To Each His Own things. For me, the outside opening knife and all metal construction of the Sidekick trump the better phillips and longer file of the Fuse. :salute:

Bottom line, we're all different, so thank goodness multitools come in so many great flavors, so there's one best suited for each of us! :D

I guess that's true, I mean there are people out there who prefer Gerber to Leatherman.  Buncha crazies!

::)   :D

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #26 on: September 30, 2011, 02:33:23 PM
Remember that these tools are targeted at first time MT buyers.  They need to look good and have a relatively low price point.   Sure you can find Blasts and Fuses and similar prices right now, but those are discounted prices compared to full MSRP on the Wingman and Sidekick.

Styling is also important to MT newbies and the Blast, Fuse, Kick line are boxy and the Zytel liners make them look cheap and weak.  I know that those MT's are not weak, but appearances mean a lot to inexperienced MT buyers.

I am a dedicated Leatherman fan, but I am not going to spend my money on either of these.  The Wingman has a combo edge blade (I detest combo edge blades) and the Sidekick lack scissors which is a deal killer for me.
Tick Magnet

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: October 03, 2011, 01:01:50 AM
I like my sidekick but it definitely feels less substantial than most of the others. It doesnt feel like a lot of quality at a lower price, but rather a nice entry level compromise. Its worth buying to have around the house or carry as one to loan out... If you dont like people fondling your nice tool :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%