Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Watch question...

665ae · 52 · 6749

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Re: Watch question...
Reply #30 on: March 30, 2008, 10:01:03 AM
Thanks for that Elgin link, Def.  This one originally belonged to my paternal Great-Grandaddy(died 1926 of tuberculosis) and was given to me by my Grandmamma after my Grandaddy passed.  It's case is well worn and the watch is not currently working, but I may eventually take it to a jeweler to see if it can be fixed. 

« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 10:03:11 AM by Stormdrane »

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: March 30, 2008, 10:31:29 AM
Thanks for that Elgin link, Def.  This one originally belonged to my paternal Great-Grandaddy(died 1926 of tuberculosis) and was given to me by my Grandmamma after my Grandaddy passed.  It's case is well worn and the watch is not currently working, but I may eventually take it to a jeweler to see if it can be fixed. 

(Image removed from quote.)

Stormdrane, my Elgin is now working. I have it fixed two years ago. If I wind the spring full it runs for one week.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 10:35:52 AM by edap617 »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #32 on: March 30, 2008, 04:19:46 PM
Beautiful watches guys!  Man, I could sit and watch one of those movements for days! :D

If you need any parts, I have another old Waltham that you are welcome to.  I'm not certain how compatible they are, but it's mainspring is toast and it's just not worth fixing, as I have no attachment to it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline bobofish

Reply #33 on: March 31, 2008, 09:45:03 PM

Thanks for the reply.  Be careful not to hurt your thumb...

Sincerely,

Douchebag

Oh come on, it was just a joke. Seriously though, do you really calibrate to the seconds per month?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #34 on: March 31, 2008, 10:55:26 PM
Considering that post was from Mikey, I imagine it was a joke back.  I don't think that man has ever said anything serious! :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #35 on: April 04, 2008, 01:10:26 PM
I have a titanium Tissot T-Touch ( SWISS made ) I picked up on eBay for $175 (SRP is $800 )

SIZE     GENT / 42MM
CASE MATERIAL    TITANIUM PVD/POLISHED
WATER RESISTANCE    30M
GLASS    TACTILE SAPPHIRE CRYSTAL
DIAL    BLACK CARBON/ARABIC

Various functions - compass, altimiter, temperature, etc are accessible by touching the crystal face. Very cool feature

Tissot WWW site
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 01:21:29 PM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #36 on: April 04, 2008, 01:16:16 PM
I also have a Bulova Accutron railroad approved ( stemless ) - watch is set from back of the case ( folded down "D" ring ) - another eBay purchase.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 10:49:18 PM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #37 on: April 04, 2008, 05:19:26 PM
I also have a Bulova Accutron railroad approved ( stemless ) - watch is set from back of the case ( folded down "D" ring ) - another eBay purchase.

Me likes that one.  :drool:
I'm back!!

Offline daemonza

Reply #38 on: November 25, 2008, 11:25:23 AM
For digital get one of the masters of G casio G-shocks - like a mudman, frogman, gulfman etc.
Or get a Seiko Monster

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #39 on: November 25, 2008, 11:38:55 AM
Nice watch eddie, someday your kids would be glad to inherit it. By the way could you adopt me  :D
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #40 on: November 25, 2008, 06:48:22 PM
I gott this watch now

It’s a Suunto D4 and it’s a diving computer, water resistant to 100m

I am at the moment drooling over this.

http://www.suunto.com/suunto/Worlds/outdoor/main/Product.jsp?CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=10134198674007265&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302759933&bmUID=1227634803689#

It has an altimeter, compass, GPS and it’s rechargeable. Man do I want it!
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: November 26, 2008, 05:38:50 AM
Beautiful watches guys!  Man, I could sit and watch one of those movements for days! :D

If you need any parts, I have another old Waltham that you are welcome to.  I'm not certain how compatible they are, but it's mainspring is toast and it's just not worth fixing, as I have no attachment to it.

Def

Could I have it I collect old watches and clocks.
(

Offline ptolemy

Reply #42 on: December 08, 2008, 07:55:08 AM
I'm in the market for a new watch... and I know nothing about them...

I like the looks of a couple of the G-shock models, but it seems like their accuracy is a bit high.

Is +/- 15 seconds a month high?  Am I just being unrealistic?  What kind of accuracy do other watches have?

it's a broad question. let me ask you one before i can answer your questions.

1. what is your price range
2. you looking for metal watch on metal band or g-shock line (rubbet./plastic)
3. how important is accuracy to you? #1 priority or?

reason i am asking is there are many watches that are inside 5 seconds per year. it all depends on other things:)

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #43 on: December 08, 2008, 12:43:47 PM
I'm in the dog house over wrist watches at the moment.....

I have had a Citizen ECO Drive watch for about 5 or 6 years, and it has served me very well indeed. However, last week, whilst leaving the house early for my job interview, I noticed it had stopped. It stayed "stopped" until Saturday morning, so I thought - 'I've got a new job, a fat redundancy cheque on the way, I'll treat myself'. So whilst out shopping on Saturday, I bought this:

It is also a Citizen ECO drive, but bigger and better. Anyhoo, whilst flicking through the manual for the new watch, I read that if the watch stops, it ain't necessarily dead. It suggested leaving it in direct sunlight for a while, so I did.

At about 5pm yesterday, it started ticking again and has kept perfect time since.

The new watch cost £170 - she is NOT happy.

:oops:
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #44 on: December 08, 2008, 04:17:34 PM
I'm in the market for a new watch... and I know nothing about them...

I like the looks of a couple of the G-shock models, but it seems like their accuracy is a bit high.

Is +/- 15 seconds a month high?  Am I just being unrealistic?  What kind of accuracy do other watches have?

it's a broad question. let me ask you one before i can answer your questions.

1. what is your price range
2. you looking for metal watch on metal band or g-shock line (rubbet./plastic)
3. how important is accuracy to you? #1 priority or?

reason i am asking is there are many watches that are inside 5 seconds per year. it all depends on other things:)

For the most part, my questions have all been answered.  I decided I could live with +/- 15 seconds a month and bought a G-Shock Mudman :D
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #45 on: December 08, 2008, 05:48:29 PM

I have had a Citizen ECO Drive watch for about 5 or 6 years, and it has served me very well indeed. However, last week, whilst leaving the house early for my job interview, I noticed it had stopped. It stayed "stopped" until Saturday morning, so I thought - 'I've got a new job, a fat redundancy cheque on the way, I'll treat myself'. So whilst out shopping on Saturday, I bought this:

It is also a Citizen ECO drive, but bigger and better. Anyhoo, whilst flicking through the manual for the new watch, I read that if the watch stops, it ain't necessarily dead. It suggested leaving it in direct sunlight for a while, so I did.

At about 5pm yesterday, it started ticking again and has kept perfect time since.

Just say it broke again and then send it on to me.  :D
I'm back!!

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #46 on: December 08, 2008, 07:26:22 PM
Wear both! WEAR BOTH!
Got those frog legs.

us Offline Splat

Reply #47 on: December 08, 2008, 11:12:08 PM
For the most part, my questions have all been answered.  I decided I could live with +/- 15 seconds a month and bought a G-Shock Mudman :D

Good man!  :salute: :tu:  You won't regret it. I love my GShock that I got last Christmas. I'd get another..maybe even the same one. Here's the one I got: http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/G-Shock/MTG930DA-8V/    Good luck with your Mudman.
Splat

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #48 on: December 09, 2008, 04:33:56 AM

Good man!  :salute: :tu:  You won't regret it. I love my GShock that I got last Christmas. I'd get another..maybe even the same one. Here's the one I got: http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/G-Shock/MTG930DA-8V/    Good luck with your Mudman.

I got this one...

http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/G-Shock/G9000_Series/product/G9000-3V/

It's been thru hell already and is running fine.  One feature I loved was how easy it switched between time zones, which was a big help during my trip to Alaska over the summer.  It was nice to push a button to switch zones rather than reprogramming the watch every time.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #49 on: December 09, 2008, 09:14:44 AM

Send it to me instead I'm further than Ben, less likely for the misus to find out :D

As for the G-shock, good choice its tough and reliable for its price range. :tu:
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

us Offline Splat

Reply #50 on: December 10, 2008, 04:17:50 AM
I got this one...
http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/G-Shock/G9000_Series/product/G9000-3V/
It's been thru hell already and is running fine.  One feature I loved was how easy it switched between time zones, which was a big help during my trip to Alaska over the summer.  It was nice to push a button to switch zones rather than reprogramming the watch every time.

That's a nice watch, buddy!  :tu: :tu:  It'll last you a long time. The Gshocks do have some nice actually usable features. Good luck with it.
Splat

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #51 on: May 08, 2010, 02:53:58 AM

Send it to me instead I'm further than Ben, less likely for the misus to find out :D

As for the G-shock, good choice its tough and reliable for its price range. :tu:

A bit of thread necromancy here, but recycling is good they tell me.....

OK - the above watch was bought to replace one like this that let me down:

Now, the new watch (can't believe it's two years since I got it) is great, but whilst out walking a month or so back, it did me a dis-service. I wear my watches very loose, so they tend to slip down my wrist - which is fine, but whilst walking, I fell, and put my hand out to break my fall, and the winder managed to jam itself into some well selected point on the back of my hand, I presume hitting a nerve or something and causing really quite agonising pain in my lower arm for the following two weeks!

So, an obvious and ready solution would be to wear the old, smaller watch for walking! Problem is, I'm not sure if it's reliable enough. I just picked it up off the window sill and it's ticking and the time is right after being sat there for months, but I'm sure I checked a few months back and it had stopped or lost time, because I remember thinking that it might not have come back to life after all.

So eventually to my question - does anyone know if there's anything that needs to be serviced or replaced or anything with these ECO-Drive watches? I'd quite like to start using it again, but need to be able to trust it :)
I used to come here a lot.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD